XY What do you think the theme of the names of the Kalos Region's cities will be? (think colors, plants

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
In Gen I, they were based on colors. In Gen II, they were plants. In Gen III and IV, they were two random words. In Gen V, they were clouds. What will Gen VI's city theme be? As of now, we have one city known to us: Lumiose City. What do you think it'll be? Once I get enough responses, I'll post what I think.

KiKi

Team Harmony
RE: What do you think the theme of the names of the Kalos Region's cities will be?

Lumiose is a reference to light. So many shades of light, functions of light, phases of light, etc.
Not only that, but the region itself is based on a forme of light, a star.

drosewood67

Opeslum League Champion
I'm thinking since Kalos is shaped liked a star, the cities will be named after stars or constellations of some sort.

Flys Gone 2071

Also known as Flygon2071
drosewood67 said:
I'm thinking since Kalos is shaped liked a star, the cities will be named after stars or constellations of some sort.

That would be awesome.

But Lumiose has something to do with Light so I expect something related to Light.

drosewood67

Opeslum League Champion
Flys Gone 2071 said:
drosewood67 said:

That would be awesome.

But Lumiose has something to do with Light so I expect something related to Light.

Well maybe light and stars. Cosmic names of some sort?

Thief

Awaken the Fairies
I would love something like Nebula City or Starburst town.
Cosmic sounds fun, but Lumoise doesn't sound cosmic at all since it's based from light.
Maybe then they will have some cities/towns names based off of light and some from dark.
Since that kind of seems like a hinted theme.

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
Now that we are learning much more about Kalos, I've decided it would be good to start up some more conversation in this thread. We now know of Lumiose City, Vaniville Town, and Santalune City. What could the theme possibly be?

Scuba Steve

Aspiring Trainer
Vaniville looks like Vanilla Ville
Santalune likes Santalum which is just a plant
Lumoise is obviously luminous and grandiose.

However, lune is a poetice word used to reference the moon.
va is apparently "will" in French and "an" is year in French. If they at all help with Vaniville.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Considering the fact that Kalos is also nordic mythology based, perhaps a lot of references to that. Elfheim is at least going to be in there. Aswell as Valhalla I think.

professorlight

Ice Queen
In spanish, paris is often referred to as "ciudad luz" luz = light, I think that's where LUMIose city comes from, and grandiose, of course.
"The grandiose city of light". I love it.

SuperDuper

Aspiring Trainer
Well going from what we know now, I am thinking either things that have to do with light, or words that have to maybe do with beauty?

Lumiose: Luminous, grandiose, etc. Those words could have to do with beauty and light both.
Santalune: "lune" from the French word for moon. The moon reflects light. Not so sure about the "santa" part.
Vaniville: Perhaps the "vani" part comes from vanity?

AtmosphericThunder

Artist
Lumiose City is based on Paris, France.

Paris is known as the "City of Lights."

This means that there may not necessarily be a theme around light, but that Lumiose City's name pays homage to the real-world city it is based on.

kayko

Darktype Champion
I think there is a possibility for plants another time. Vaniville towns japanes name , Aname Town , could be a reference to the hemp bud.
Santalune City for the Indian Sandalwood.

Raptor9229

Aspiring Dragon Trainer
AdamLambert said:
In Gen I, they were based on colors. In Gen II, they were plants. In Gen III and IV, they were two random words. In Gen V, they were clouds. What will Gen VI's city theme be? As of now, we have one city known to us: Lumiose City. What do you think it'll be? Once I get enough responses, I'll post what I think.

french, maybe with a dash of greek and italian? Read your post incorrectly but who is to say that there will be a theme? I think something about the beauty of the city?

AdamLambert

Aspiring Potato
SuperDuper said:
Well going from what we know now, I am thinking either things that have to do with light, or words that have to maybe do with beauty?

Lumiose: Luminous, grandiose, etc. Those words could have to do with beauty and light both.
Santalune: "lune" from the French word for moon. The moon reflects light. Not so sure about the "santa" part.
Vaniville: Perhaps the "vani" part comes from vanity?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Vaniville made me think of vanity immediately.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Overall, I'm thinking that the city names have connections to beauty. (with some connections to plants)

This makes sense, I think Masuda said that they wanted to explore the themes of beauty ingame, and was one of the reasons they chose to base Kalos of off France.

GreenWhiter!

Aspiring Trainer
Fairy, Light, Beauty, this is what i think considering that in the new news about pokemon x and y they were talking abot the new type and it is based of of france so probably colors, light something that represenst beauty. also i wouldn't be suprised if there was a new mime pokemon probably in black and white.

AtmosphericThunder

Artist
P.DelSlayer said:
Overall, I'm thinking that the city names have connections to beauty. (with some connections to plants)

This makes sense, I think Masuda said that they wanted to explore the themes of beauty ingame, and was one of the reasons they chose to base Kalos of off France.

Beauty is a great thing to focus on in a 3D game.

jaimee17

Aspiring Trainer
I made an account specifically to answer this post!

As a native french speaker, it's pretty obvious to me that the new town names are french words associated with beauty.

Lumiose: Lumière (french word for Light) & any word with the "-ose" suffix (usually associated with "large" such as in grandiose).
Santalune : Santalum (which is french for Sandalwood) and the word Lune (french for Moon, as most pointed out).
Vaniville : Either the word Vanité (Vanity) or Vanille (french for Vanilla), merge Ville (with means City or Town)

It could also be, if they follow the trend of Santalune and Vaniville, that the town names will have a plant and a french word together.

AtmosphericThunder

Artist
jaimee17 said:
I made an account specifically to answer this post!

As a native french speaker, it's pretty obvious to me that the new town names are french words associated with beauty.

Lumiose: Lumière (french word for Light) & any word with the "-ose" suffix (usually associated with "large" such as in grandiose).
Santalune : Santalum (which is french for Sandalwood) and the word Lune (french for Moon, as most pointed out).
Vaniville : Either the word Vanité (Vanity) or Vanille (french for Vanilla), merge Ville (with means City or Town)

It could also be, if they follow the trend of Santalune and Vaniville, that the town names will have a plant and a french word together.

I'll love the games even more if the other in-game locations have such pleasant names.