Strategy What Do You Think is Missing In The Current Physical and Special Moves?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Pokemon moves can be separated into 2 main groups: Physical moves, and Special moves.
In each section, you can find many moves for each type, as well as for similar effects to benefit both physical and special Pokemon. For example, Waterfall for special attackers, and Scald for special attackers.
However, there are many things that exist only on one side. For example, hidden power is a great coverage move that every Pokemon can learn, and it can be almost any type you want, making every special attacker an option for having access to almost every type coverage. But, physical Pokemon have nothing similar to such a move. Another example is the ability Intimidate, which lowers the physical attack of the opponent. Yet, there is no ability to hinder special attackers.
So what do you think is also missing in each field? Do you believe that these groups of moves are treated equally? Or maybe one group (physical/special) really needs a buff? How do you think these changes will affect the metagame ? (in OU or VGC).

Discuss!

- For a more casual discussion about your favorite group of moves, be sure to check this thread in the VG news & discussion forum.

I think there is an imbalance between physical and special moves by type, some types have a lot of moves in one and barely any in the other. Fairy's the biggest offender here, with a whopping one physical move, they pretty much have to fix that. But beyond that I wouldn't mind seeing more physical Electric moves, physical Fire moves, special Fighting moves, physical Ice moves, special Rock moves, and physical Psychic moves.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a reverse of Psyshock that takes the user's Attack and the target's Special Defense. Special Intimidate and physical Hidden Power would be great too.

Flying and Ghost could do with having solid, reliable physical moves that don't take need charging and in the case of Flying can be used by more than just birds. More special priority moves could be nice, as Vacuum Wave isn't really the most useful move around. A physical Fighting version of Eruption/Water Spout could be really interesting on something slow like Machamp (I imagine it being called something like "Beserk"). It would also be interesting to have a Physical move sort of like Scald/Nuzzle that inflicts maybe Taunt or Torment (I imagine that being Dark, exploited by Weavile and called something like "Bully" xD).

nothing

Physical attackers face the most outside factors to neuter them, such as burn, confusion and Intimidate. This assumes that physical attackers are put at a greater disadvantage, but that's not the case because
  1. Physical attacks are often far more reliable. Compare Close Combat and Superpower to Focus Blast. Flare Blitz to Fire Blast. Brave Bird to Hurricane. Return to ... nothing. While these attacks come with worse side effects sometimes, they at least get the job done 10/10 times. Also consider Earthquake, which is one of the most consistent moves in the game and is available to plenty of fully evolved Pokemon.
  2. All good priority moves are physical. Other than Vacuum Wave, there is nothing available for special attackers.
  3. Physical attackers outclass special attackers as boosting sweepers. Physical attackers have access to more ways to boost their power. Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Belly Drum, Hone Claws, Bulk Up, Curse, Moxie, and the indiscriminate Agility and Shell Smash are all available to a wide range of Pokemon. On the special side, Nasty Plot, Tail Glow, and Quiver Dance have limited distribution, while Calm Mind creates too many identical sweepers that achieve the same goals. The wide range and diversity of boosting physical sweepers makes them far superior.
  4. Physical attacks tend to have more utility and effect on the game. Look no further than Knock Off and U-Turn. These two single moves are provided to various Pokemon no matter their type or stat spread. Not only do they provide needed coverage, they both leave huge impacts on the way the game is played. The only move that special attackers have to compare to this is Scald, which is limited to a single type.
  5. Not really a point that I consider important, but Rock-type is only covered with physical attackers. Power Gem has zero distribution, and Ancient Power lacks ... power. It really is a shame because Diancie is forced to run mixed sets due to Diamond Storm, its only good Rock-type move, being physical. Thankfully there aren't any good Rock-type special attackers.
While physical attackers have more things to hamper them, their initial power over their special attacking brothers balances things out. Part of what makes the game interesting is that physical and special attackers aren't just mirrors of each other.

ps: we technically had physical hidden power until gen 3, but that was a time when special attackers were more dominant that physical attackers

Flying and Ghost could do with having solid, reliable physical moves that don't take need charging and in the case of Flying can be used by more than just birds. More special priority moves could be nice, as Vacuum Wave isn't really the most useful move around. A physical Fighting version of Eruption/Water Spout could be really interesting on something slow like Machamp (I imagine it being called something like "Berserk"). It would also be interesting to have a Physical move sort of like Scald/Nuzzle that inflicts maybe Taunt or Torment (I imagine that being Dark, exploited by Weavile and called something like "Bully" xD).

While I agree with you when it comes to Ghost types, Flying types already got good options for physical attacks such as Brave Bird, Aerilate in general, and, back in 5th gen, Acrobatics. If we were to get consumable Gems back, that could help provide more reliable physical options for Flying that are not locked behind Mega Evolution.

Back