Discussion What Deck would you say is the best?

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
JGB won first place at that cup. Might he win the PokeBeach October Cup as well?
rsz_1rsz_thinking.png

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
JGB won first place at that cup. Might he win the PokeBeach October Cup as well?
rsz_1rsz_thinking.png
Anything is possible. I'd be undefeated for October if I have made an idiotic mistake in R2. But I am playing a different deck for our tournament. Wanted to mix things up.

Shikageru

Aspiring Trainer
Firstly, the fact that only one person in this thread has sunk to "nah it sucks" style commentary gives me hope. Second, JGB knows his stuff, and Malamar-box, GasKan, etc, may very well be the Bdif. I personally prefer other decks, but as its already been said, it has a high skill cap to be good. One of the articles from the last month or two on pokebeach talked about this feature, and frankly it has a ton of merit. I consider myself someone that strives for high strategy decks but in truth, those decks require so much practice and tinkering, and my life outside of pokemon limits my practice time a bit. Hence, I try to stick to lower skill decks like vikavolt - bulu and Buzzwole gx were considered. This doesn't make them bad decks. To me, as much as I personally hate Buzzwole gx, that doesn't mean the deck is bad.

The most unique decks I saw at Memphis this past weekend were Scizor gx with a spicy partner, Monkey shrine, and an alolan eggs deck that wrecked a buddy of mine and made day 2. I know a lot of people dislike standard as it is now but I think the fact decks are coming out of the woodwork and winning things with more than the big 3 (buzz, malamar, or Zoroark) is refreshing. But that's a whole different conversation, isn't it?
I'm done rambling and I'm off to grab some coffee.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Big difference from last year is how hard GasKan is to play properly. I think we will keep seeing a lot of BuzzGarbShrine because it’s easy to play. GasKan takes tens of matches before you’re even winning very many, because figuring out the right balance of throwing away cards versus playing them is extremely hard. In ladder I am winning almost every BuzzGarbShrine game I play, but GasKan I’m barely winning half if you exclude the ones people scoop before the game really gets going, because I make mistakes with which Pokémon to put out. (Must remember to reread Rulen’s post Philly article every time I play...)

GasKan may well win regionals but I don’t think it will ever be a super big meta deck in leagues that don’t have top players in them for that reason. I still win most of the BuzzGarbShrine matchups against it - not because I necessarily think Buzz is the better deck but because my opponent doesn’t know how to play it right.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Big difference from last year is how hard GasKan is to play properly. I think we will keep seeing a lot of BuzzGarbShrine because it’s easy to play. GasKan takes tens of matches before you’re even winning very many, because figuring out the right balance of throwing away cards versus playing them is extremely hard. In ladder I am winning almost every BuzzGarbShrine game I play, but GasKan I’m barely winning half if you exclude the ones people scoop before the game really gets going, because I make mistakes with which Pokémon to put out. (Must remember to reread Rulen’s post Philly article every time I play...)

GasKan may well win regionals but I don’t think it will ever be a super big meta deck in leagues that don’t have top players in them for that reason. I still win most of the BuzzGarbShrine matchups against it - not because I necessarily think Buzz is the better deck but because my opponent doesn’t know how to play it right.
link to the article?

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
The "best deck" term is a revolving door that rarely stops...revolving. To argue that Malamar is the best deck at this very moment is foolish - in fact, to say that any deck is the best right now is as well. The meta's changing with every weekend and every event, so to try to pin down one deck as the "best" is nearly impossible. At this point, Malamar's gonna have a target on its back, and we might see things like Banette try and make a comeback or a rise in non-Ability Pokémon to work around getting Chimecho-locked.

This conversation will change by the day, so I hope we don't become ignorant to the fact that we can argue what the best play would be while not losing sight of what is actually the best.

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪

This is very true. If you play GasKan poorly, it's probably worse than older Malamar builds.