What are your experiences with travel?

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
What country would you most like to visit and why?

Where have you been, and what have you enjoyed/disliked about the places you visited.

I've been to a lot of places but the most interesting one is North Korea by far. The best place i've been to vacation wise is probably the Cayman Islands.

I'd like to visit Japan, just because it seems like the most 'happening' place. My uncle made a promise to all his cousins that when they graduate high school he'll take each of us to anywhere in the world we like for two weeks, on top of another 2 weeks in England if it's near there.

I've been in several states, and by far my favorite has been North Carolina, specifically Kure Beach. It had the laid back beach feel, but at the same time not the stereotypical people being all cool beach surfer type people. It's hard to explain, but the atmosphere was wonderful and the beaches were beautiful.

The places I'd like to visit are almost exclusively for cultural reasons. I highly enjoy ancient cultures, especially ones that were dominant during their times such as Rome, ancient Greece, etc. That being said, I'd most like to visit Japan. Along with the culture and philosophies the area seems(ed) to hold dear and build on, the natural landscapes there seem brilliant.
I'd also like to visit:
Greece - Culture/Landscape
Italy - Culture/Landscape
Egypt - Culture
Poland - I'm of Polish decent so seeing the country would be cool
Norway - Landscape primarily though a bit of the culture as well
Spain - Culture
Hawaii - Landscape

I'd also like to see certain landmarks/world wonders such as Stone Henge and the like.

I've sadly not been out of the United States. The farthest in either direction I've traveled is South:Florida, West:pennsylvania, North:Vermont, East:N/A
I'm east coast born and raised haha.

I love travel. Although I haven't really been outside the US, the thought of it enthralls me!
I've been to Florida, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington D.C. I've also been to Canada, but sadly, I was young at the time and I don't remember it.

I want to go to Britain (London <3), Italy, Sweden, South Korea, and Germany, to name a few. I would love to see the Black Forest in Germany...
So many great places to visit.

I only been in the Pacific Coast of the USA [I been to Washington where I live, Oregon, California where I was born - and even once been to Nevada] - & - Mexico, where my grandma is from.

The 3 places in the world I would love to visit is:

• Masai Mara between Tanzania and Kenya - also eastern Africa in general: Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya & South Sudan

• Japan, anywhere in the country, I always been a dream of mine. I love the Japanese culture, language, and foods

• A few islands in Oceania - Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, Nauru, Kiribati, Solomon Islands.... I enjoyed watching photos taken in the Pacific Islands, really great looking weather, the people seem very friendly

I have never been out of the city I live in by myself. I haven't really travelled much either except from going Spain twice when I was younger. I would love to travel though with a few friends.

Japan is definitely a place I would like to visit. Just everything about Japan seems great. The culture, the people, just everything! .^_^.

Across states, I've been to California and Nevada (just Vegas!) many times. Across countries I've taken a cruise to Puerto Vallarta- Mazahtlan- Cabo San Lucas (sp? I'm so sorry, I really messed it up...). I've visited family in Toronto, and I've visited Victoria and Vancouver quite a few times.

Now that my brother lives in La Jolla, San Diego feels like a more familiar place to me (obviously the frequent visits helped!). I'm all in the know when it comes to sweet arcades, Pokemon Leagues, gyms, smoothie bars, restaurants, shopping malls. Heh!

Since I've recently taken up study in Theravada Buddhism, I'd love to visit Thailand, where I can be among people who are FAR more acquainted with it than I am! I wonder how I could help them somehow too....=).

I would love to go to the Kyoto/ Osaka region of Japan, Taiwan, most of Europe, and Jeju-do, South Korea.
I loved Heidelberg and Ruggen in Germany and Innsbruck, Austria the best. They were very lovely places. I would love to go back, and possibly even live in one the these places. I recommend them if you go to Germany or Austria.

Hmmm, lets see...
The top of my list of places that I want to visit is Germany. Seeing as how I love their culture and my grandmother was German herself I think it would be interesting to go visit and perhaps visit family.

2nd - Japan; Seeing as how I have found their culture and war history interesting since middle school, I would rather enjoy venturing there. (The anime also has helps.)

3rd - Ireland; I don't really know why, but I feel a strong pull towards it, even all the way here in the U.S.A.

I wanna visit the States. Staying in NYC has been a lifelong dream... America seems like a way too interesting place to miss.
Also, I wanna visit some country in the southern hemisphere. Any country. I wanna see the sky as it looks in the other half of the world...

Ice Jackal said:
I wanna visit the States. Staying in NYC has been a lifelong dream... America seems like a way too interesting place to miss.
Also, I wanna visit some country in the southern hemisphere. Any country. I wanna see the sky as it looks in the other half of the world...

Come over here after you graduate. NYC is a beautiful sight... Sometimes.

Also, as for people who want to go to Japan, you better get there before NK and China possibly nuke it off the face of the Earth and/or start WW3.

Ice Jackal said:
Don't go to New York. It's so overrated. And the crime is horrible! But, I can see the appeal. Broadway, the food, and some tourist traps.

Japan? Pfft. Know what its like being there? Pretty crappy. Pay sucks, living areas/homes suck. The only worthwhile places to visit being the tourist spots. Japan is definitely at the bottom of any list of mine. The only time it was ever good was the 90s and early 2000s. Now its just another country that has lost its origin.

Id love to travel across europe and do the Camino de Santiago. Just the wife and I hiking across the land. Would be amazing.

Small, possibly funny, story: I got married in my home city of Chicago this past summer, even though my husband and I live in the Netherlands. Some of my new Dutch family came to the States for the wedding and a few them (my new aunt and uncle, and my father-in-law and his girlfriend) also decided to visit NYC while they were in the US because, well, basically just because it's New York and everyone wants to go to New York, right? Chatting with them after we got back to Europe, all of them liked Chicago better than NYC. :p NYC was too smelly, too dirty, and too noisy.

I've never been to NYC, and though I do plan on going there someday, I will strongly suggest people (especially those *not* from the US) to hit up other cities as well so you can see that they're all not like NYC. In fact, that's very far from the truth! A lot of US cities have their own feel, at least the ones I've been to. Of course, it depends on what you like and what you're interested in, but the two I'd suggest the most are Seattle and Chicago.

For me, personally, I guess I've done a lot of traveling in my life. Did my first transatlantic journey when I was 13 to spend a few weeks in the UK and Ireland for a student ambassador thing, and traveled all across the US with my family, and later with boyfriends. Though, for about the last 5 years, my travels have been between Amsterdam and Chicago, either visiting my boyfriend, or after I moved here, visiting my family back home.

I have a lot of traveling I'd like to do in the future, though. Now that I live in Europe, I can't wait to travel around and visit a lot of European countries by plane and by train. It's been 15 years since I've been to the British Isles, and I've hardly seen any of the rest of mainland Europe. I don't really have any concrete plans except for 1) I want to spend a week in Germany living off of nothing except beer, pretzels, and sausage, and 2) need to try skiing in the Alps at some point, and hopefully not kill myself.

There are a lot of places in the States I want to take my husband to, as well. My sister lives in LA now, so we want to visit there, and I have relatives in Colorado and Arizona that would be fun to visit, and also show hubby the sites (the only part of the US he's been to is Chicago and Disney World). No family there anymore, but I want to take him to Seattle, too.

Outside of the US and Europe, Australia is definitely on my list, Melbourne and Canberra. In addition to just being a cool place in general, I have an aunt that lives there, and some online friends that I would love to visit. Japan (specifically Osaka) and China are also on my list. Egypt will be too once it gets its crap in order.

Can you tell I like traveling? >_>

Artemis, lovely post. Another fellow traveler! Do you know where in Germany or the Alps you'd like to visit? I'd recommend Innsbruck, for the Alps, and Cologne (where I briefly lived, but it may not hold everyone's fancy) or Munich (has some great beer, pretzels, and sausage) Try the Hofbrauhaus! It's in other cities, as well, but that's the most famous.

For those interested in America, I'd recommend:

Saint Augustine, Florida (lots of touristy things like Ripley's Believe It or Not, the famous ghost tours, old Spanish settlements, some shopping, good restaurants, and more). It was the first settlement in North America by the Europeans, I think.

Williamsburg, Virginia: there is a whole Colonial village that has actors and shops pertaining to Colonial America in the 1600s. It's a living-history museum. Go on the tour, but don't go in the summertime! It's hot! It's also right next to Jamestown and Yorkstown, other famous locations.

Memphis/Nashville, Tennessee: crime-ridden, but noted for their great music scenes (go to the Opry!). They also have lots of great museums.

I must mention at least somewhere in Texas (my home state), so San Antonio (probably the most touristy): The Alamo! There is also the River Walk, a noted shopping area that also has great food! But there are many great places in Texas. If you want specifics, just pm me and I can let you know about most of the places.

There are lots more, just drop me a line if you're planning to go somewhere in America and are curious about it. I mainly know the South and can recommend a lot of good places, must-dos, restaurants, and even hotels, if need be.

There's a town in Switzerland that my husband's family has been to a few times that's very picturesque, in addition to having good skiing. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, augh, but that's likely where we'll go, and preferably by train.

I haven't given a lot of thought to Germany yet, and probably won't until we get to the point where we can start making plans, but I was kind of thinking Munich already, partially because I have family there somewhere, partially because ???. I'll likely do some online investigation about sites, museums, etc.

Also, while I've been to a lot of places throughout the US, the only place I'd really feel comfortable giving advice is, oddly, Disney World. :p My sister interned there (and will soon be working for Disneyland in LA, too) and I've been there numerous times, so I know most of the hotels, restaurants, etc. like the back of my hand.

Artemis said:
There's a town in Switzerland that my husband's family has been to a few times that's very picturesque, in addition to having good skiing. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, augh, but that's likely where we'll go, and preferably by train.

I haven't given a lot of thought to Germany yet, and probably won't until we get to the point where we can start making plans, but I was kind of thinking Munich already, partially because I have family there somewhere, partially because ???. I'll likely do some online investigation about sites, museums, etc.

Also, while I've been to a lot of places throughout the US, the only place I'd really feel comfortable giving advice is, oddly, Disney World. :p My sister interned there (and will soon be working for Disneyland in LA, too) and I've been there numerous times, so I know most of the hotels, restaurants, etc. like the back of my hand.
I've never been to the Anaheim Disney. Is is good? Worth going to? I know many places because we always take trips from Texas to Kentucky at least one a year to visit family and we always circle back via Virginia and Florida to see my brother. We always do a lot of sightseeing. Now, I couldn't go into deep detail, but I could say that this restaurant was amazing or go to this hotel chain because we always like it and use it.

momoxmomo said:
Don't go to New York. It's so overrated. And the crime is horrible! But, I can see the appeal. Broadway, the food, and some tourist traps.

Artemis said:
Small, possibly funny, story: I got married in my home city of Chicago this past summer, even though my husband and I live in the Netherlands. Some of my new Dutch family came to the States for the wedding and a few them (my new aunt and uncle, and my father-in-law and his girlfriend) also decided to visit NYC while they were in the US because, well, basically just because it's New York and everyone wants to go to New York, right? Chatting with them after we got back to Europe, all of them liked Chicago better than NYC. :p NYC was too smelly, too dirty, and too noisy.

You won't stop me :p.
I know that NYC isn't as great as some picture it, but still... I have a liking for big cities, and there are a few personal reasons for me to want to visit it. But obviously, I'm not saying that it's representing the States or that it's the only place in the States I wanna visit.
I've been in Rome and Amsterdam in the past, those being my only travels abroad. In both cases, when I returned home, I found it so dull... Meh, Greece might be nice for tourism, and I like its long history, archaelogical sites and beaches, but live here for the rest of my life... I'll pass. The States actually seem like they have a little bit of everything, that's why I wanna visit them so badly.
Travelling is something I like doing... And staying in the same place for too long just doesn't seem proper. The world is big, and there will always be a new place to visit.
I really like this thread. Keep the conversation up!

Ice Jackal said:
momoxmomo said:

Artemis said:

You won't stop me :p.
I know that NYC isn't as great as some picture it, but still... I have a liking for big cities, and there are a few personal reasons for me to want to visit it. But obviously, I'm not saying that it's representing the States or that it's the only place in the States I wanna visit.
I've been in Rome and Amsterdam in the past, those being my only travels abroad. In both cases, when I returned home, I found it so dull... Meh, Greece might be nice for tourism, and I like its long history, archaelogical sites and beaches, but live here for the rest of my life... I'll pass. The States actually seem like they have a little bit of everything, that's why I wanna visit them so badly.
Travelling is something I like doing... And staying in the same place for too long just doesn't seem proper. The world is big, and there will always be a new place to visit.
I really like this thread. Keep the conversation up!
Can you recommend some places in Greece? How's the crime, museums, food, etc? How do you travel from island to island, boat? Or are their trains? What are things we should stay away from?

Yeah, sure.
So, um... Crime rate isn't very high, although the current crisis has led to an increase. Athens probably has the highest, which is to be expected, as it's holding 2/5 of the Greek population.
However, I would recommend Athens as a destination. It has something for everyone. Crete is also a great place to go, especially if your main purpose is to sunbathe. Hania is also the most beautiful greek city.
Thessaloniki and Giannena are two other beautiful cities you might wanna visit. Apart from that, going to any island or to the many villages scattered across the country is usually a good experience.
Food is generally good, one shouldn't have a problem finding a decent place to eat. As for museums, the country is full of them. Athens has a lot ranging from the Acropolis museum to culture museums, and every city with more than 10000 people usually has some sort of archaelogical or cultural one. Obviously, the closer you get to one of the (many) archaelogical sites, the easier it is to find a museum.
Transportation from island to islands is usually by ship, unless the island has an airport.
Things to avoid: Shops, restaurants, cafes etc. very close to big beaches or archaelogical sites, they are way too expensive.
Crossing a road using the marked pedestrian crossings. Greek drivers only stop at STOP signs and red lights. A pedestrian crossing doesn't exist for them. If you wanna cross a road, wait until it's empty or go at a point with lights. Otherwise, you'll probably end up at the hospital.
Generally, greek roads are bad, so be very careful when driving.
Also, keep in mind that Greece isn't a clean country. Many people toss their trash anywhere they find, so you've been warned.
And of course, the most important part: you MUST visit Patras. Generally, it's among the worst places in the country, but it's currently the place to meet Greece's No.1 attraction, that is, me!

Back