Pokemon What are you Favorite Gender Differences in Pokémon?

Omanyte

Aspiring Trainer
Inspired by these posts in the X/Y General Discussion thread:

Pineapple X said:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but has anyone else noticed that the ends of Pikachu tails in X & Y have different shapes? Or is it just my eyes?

I can post images tomorrow, in case you wanna see.

Blob55 said:
Pikachu's tail differs on the gender. Males have a normal tail, while females have a more lumpy end to the tail.
Pikachu, however has had gender differences since 4th gen, so this is nothing new.

Spr_b_4p_025_m.png
Spr_b_4p_025_f.png

There are differences between some male/female Pokemon in how they appear, such as Pikachu. Now for the discussion: which Pokemon's male/female differences do you like? Don't like? No opinion? Just post your thoughts here. It's a somewhat random/silly question and probably one that doesn't matter that much, but I'm curious to see what the opinions of the Pokebeach community are (or if anyone else even cares :p).

Wobuffet is one that I don't get. Where does the lipstick on the female one come from? Or is it some kind of skin pigmentation. Who knows...

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/202.shtml

I also prefer the male Heracross to the female one, just because the horn had always looked like the male one since Gold/Silver, and that's just the way I've always imagined it.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/214.shtml

Also, if this isn't in the right spot, could someone move this so that it is?

RE: Pokemon Gender Differences

I don't like female Heracross's horn either, as it looks silly as a heart and the heart horns look like they were stuck on at the back, because you can see the stick bit.

I like Pokémon which have huge horns as male Pokémon and smaller ones as females, so Pokémon like the Rhyhorn line and Houndoom. I also like the Hippopotas line's gender differences, because the colours are swapped and they usually do that for Shiny Pokémon, like Scatterbug and Krokorok.

RE: Pokemon Gender Differences

My favorite is Garchomp. Garchomp is my favorite dragon type and the notch in the male's fin looks awesome, it makes it resemble a dangerous shark that has been in many fights. The female's fin looks longer, but it's just an illusion since it's missing the notch.
Spr_b_5b_445_m.png
Spr_b_5b_445_f.png

Another awesome one is Gyarados' gender difference. I like the male's blue whiskers more than the female's white whiskers, and on a shiny Gyarados, the male's whiskers are red!
Spr_5b_130_m.png
Spr_4p_130_f.png

This one needs no explanation. But the first time I discovered a female Hippowdon in DP, I thought it was a shiny. :p Needless to say, I was disappointed.
Spr_5b_450_m.png
Spr_5b_450_f.png

Unfezant is pretty awesome, the male's head and green stomach are what makes it look prettier than the female. The female is cool, but it's colors are dull. But that's what makes it look more realistic.
Spr_5b_521_m.png
Spr_5b_521_f.png

Three more, Jellicent, Butterfree, and Pyroar. I like the male Jellicent's coloring and look more than the female, it looks more royal. I don't like the female Jellicent's kissy lips or puffy neck.
Spr_5b_593_m.png
Spr_5b_593_f.png

Butterfree is a beautiful Pokémon, one of the best from Kanto. I only discovered their gender difference in Black and White and I have loved the female's wing pattern ever since. I know it's a tiny difference, but I like it.
Spr_b_5b_012_m.png
Spr_b_5b_012_f.png

The last one on my long list of favs, Pyroar! The male is a beast and it's female counterpart looks really elegant. I love that male Litleo and Pyroar are hard to come by. In the real world a Lion's pride has one male leader, so I like that they incorporated that in Pokémon by making males rarer. Thanks for reading my long list. :p
pyroar.gif
pyroar-f.gif

RE: Wat are you Favorite Gender Differences in Pokemon?

Prince Dedenne, another difference with Pyroar, is the female has almost completely tan front legs.

RE: Wat are you Favorite Gender Differences in Pokemon?

Blob55 said:
Prince Dedenne, another difference with Pyroar, is the female has almost completely tan front legs.

Ohh ya, that's pretty cool, I never noticed that. :p
Thanks, I'll add that to my last post.

RE: What are you Favorite Gender Differences in Pokemon?

I never noticed the Garchomp's fins being different! Then again Garchomp has always kind of annoyed me, so I didn't spend too much time looking at it. =P Gyrados was also one that I didn't realize was different until now. Good job noticing!

And I thought Unfezant's brown form was a shiny Pokemon at first. I only ever saw the other one in B/W, so when I got the brown one in a trade in X/Y, it threw me off! I do agree about Hippowdon's color changes being cool.

In order to add something, I present: Meowstic. It's not a Pokemon I care much about either way, but I do like the different colors.

meowstic5.jpg

Jellicent, for the male one having the combined mustache prowess of the Pringles logo and King Bob-omb.
Truly that is the manliest of all mustaches.

I don't really care for gender differences; I think they're boring and don't change my opinion on whether I like a Pokemon or not. But my favorite would have to be Pikachu's. Archaic, the webmaster of Bulbagarden, had no idea what gender differences were until the revelation of Gates to Infinity; he specifically brought up that the Pikachu in the reveal trainer of Gates to Infinity had an "interesting cosmetic difference"; a notch on its tail that had never been seen before in any other form of official Pokemon media.

Think about that for a moment.

don()shinobi said:
I don't really care for gender differences; I think they're boring and don't change my opinion on whether I like a Pokemon or not. But my favorite would have to be Pikachu's. Archaic, the webmaster of Bulbagarden, had no idea what gender differences were until the revelation of Gates to Infinity; he specifically brought up that the Pikachu in the reveal trainer of Gates to Infinity had an "interesting cosmetic difference"; a notch on its tail that had never been seen before in any other form of official Pokemon media.

This is proof that Game Freak doesn't really care, isn't it?

don()shinobi said:

In one episode of the Animé, Ash "dressed" Pikachu as a female Pikachu.
Also, an Animé episode, there's a Female Pikachu.
Ayumi_Pikachu.png

Though, one thing that bugs me about Pokémon artwork, is they usually stick to one gender, like the Bidoof line is usually shown as females and Hippopotas as a Male.
Speaking of Bidoof, the Bidoof in PMD T/D/S is shown as a female, even though he's obviously male, in a piece of artwork for his Special Episode.
MDSky_EP1.png

Edit: Does anyone know if Mega Evolutions have gender differences?

Blob55 said:
don()shinobi said:

In one episode of the Animé, Ash "dressed" Pikachu as a female Pikachu.
Also, an Animé episode, there's a Female Pikachu.
Ayumi_Pikachu.png
I know that gender differences have been around for over 7 years now. I'm just saying that the webmaster of the Pokemon encyclopedia did not.

Seems kind of silly, as I know all about the gender differences thanks to Bulbapedia.
Also, I was pointing out that there's more than once instance of a Female Pikachu appearing in animated form.

Speaking of Bidoof, the Bidoof in PMD T/D/S is shown as a female, even though he's obviously male, in a piece of artwork for his Special Episode.
That Bidoof is clearly male (look at his tail). I'm not sure why you think otherwise, since that's where the gender difference is.
(yes I know I'm a few days late)

DNA said:
That Bidoof is clearly male (look at his tail). I'm not sure why you think otherwise, since that's where the gender difference is.
(yes I know I'm a few days late)

What are you talking about?

Male:
Spr_b_5b_399_m.png
Female:
Spr_b_5b_399_f.png

Bidoof's Sugimori artwork is the female version, which is why you may of been confused.

Son of a gun; I stand corrected. I thought it was the other way around.

Personally, I tend to like gender differences more when they have to do with a different pallet, like with the Frillish like. Or when there's a noticable change in appearance like with Tranquil and especially with Meowstic and Pyroar. There are a handful of other differences I like like with the Sneasel line and such.

I like gender differences but more so when it has something that really stands out like Unfezant and Frillish, since I'm a little sick of just seeing males with bigger horns and females with smaller ones namely in Rhydon's because it's just so big...I'd like that the male's stayed like it was and the female's get smaller. Though, I must say that I would like to see more gender differences and the horns is indeed the easiest way to do it but like I've said, without too much exaggeration on the males.
I would like to see more differences in the starters, Pokémon like Beedrill and Excavalier, Sawsbuck, Pidgeot, Ninetales, Arcanine, Grandbull, Slaking, Mightyena, Swellow... I don't know if this would be a good idea or just my "akwardness" to some Pokémon that have a more feminine or masculine design. For example, I've tried training a male Haunter but somehow I didn't like it despite loving the design and then I went training a female one, named it Hauntress and suddenly I felt like it's just awesome and all fits. On the other hand, despite suggesting a gender difference to Grandbull, I don't mind at all training a male one because I like the idea to have a Pokémon that would generate confusion like a male Mawile and a male Purrloin, since they have more feminine looks.

PS: I really don't understand nor like Wobbuffet's gender diference...If I don't like seeing and can't understand how Sawk is wearing karate robes, I feel akward seeing a Pokémon with lipstick...if they were lips but no, it's just liptick. =S

You think the robes are bad? What about Hitmonchan's skirt?

I don't like how the last two gets added huge gender differences, yet made it apply to only two or three Pokémon each gen.
I also don't like how Meowstic is considered one Pokémon, even though both genders have a different moveset. Does that mean Nidoran should be one Pokémon now?

Does that mean Nidoran should be one Pokémon now?
Yes.
I've believed this for a long while now. Since Gen 4 existed, actually.

It's a kilt.

Blob55 said:

I don't like how the last two gets added huge gender differences, yet made it apply to only two or three Pokémon each gen.
I also don't like how Meowstic is considered one Pokémon, even though both genders have a different moveset. Does that mean Nidoran should be one Pokémon now?

I've remembered it, also because of its gloves and sandals (don't ask a Hitmonchan to open a door by using the doorknob :rolleyes: ), but Throh and Sawk get more on my nerves.

I also think (like the above user) of Nidoran as one Pokémon.

Back