What are the odds of TPCi discontinuing the Battle Arena Decks?

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I just feel like Pokemon TCG should have a preconstructed product aside from theme decks that is one or more full 60 card decks that are legal in any tournament, and must be labeled as 60 card decks, meaning the world championship decks and the 2 30-card deck trainer kits don't count either.

Also, what are the odds of these products being an annual release? So far we only have 2, but I don't know if TPCi is going to continually release them every year. What do you think of these products? Are they popular, or do they sit on shelves? Does the $30 price tag hurt sales?

I don't care if Battle Arena Decks are discontinued. All I care that there is a preconstructed product that has a mix of Pokemon from different sets, in which theme decks don't do this because they contain pokemon from only one set. This precon product must be labeled as one or more 60 card decks, in which the trainer kit fails because they are labeled as 2 30 card decks, not 1 60 card deck. The third is that it must not have alternate card backs, and the cards, without sleeves, can be mixed in with any other cards without the cards being marked, which the world champ decks fail at.

Do you like the way the Battle Arena Decks are going, or do you suggest it go in a different direction? Is one per year good enough, or do you rather have 2 or 3 per year? Do you like the concept, execution, or both?

If you think it is unfair that someone can just buy a more competitive deck as opposed to building their own, TPCi could make the Battle Arena Decks based on older cards that are rotated out, like the Ruby and Sapphire series, or the Diamond and Pearl Series. That would be cool.

Last edited:
The problem is when you say legal in any tournament does that mean unlimited as well? As that means they would have to release just a Standard deck, as that can be played in Expanded and Unlimited but it's going to be very small fish big pond.
$30 for 2 complete decks, even if they are a little wobbly with the amount of training and competitiveness, is in my opinion very good value. It gives people a start, as you go straight into a very competitive deck you're going to lose a lot of players. The point of pre-constructed is to give people an idea on how to play. The Battle Arena decks are more competitive but I would be annoyed if people are only spending $30 to buy 2 complete up to date competitive decks whilst I've spent more trying to get the cards singularly.

Pokemon wouldn't do that as they make more money from people buying boosters. The competitive side is not the main target audience-as mostly we get our cards from the second hand market so Pokemon doesn't profit. It comes from Joe Bloggs buying a few packs here and there.

It'd be an interesting concept playing with "older" cards, but I don't think a) competitive people would buy them as they don't need them and b) general audience wouldn't either as that's not what the kids want, they want the latest sets with the best shiny cards in

The problem is when you say legal in any tournament does that mean unlimited as well? As that means they would have to release just a Standard deck, as that can be played in Expanded and Unlimited but it's going to be very small fish big pond.
$30 for 2 complete decks, even if they are a little wobbly with the amount of training and competitiveness, is in my opinion very good value. It gives people a start, as you go straight into a very competitive deck you're going to lose a lot of players. The point of pre-constructed is to give people an idea on how to play. The Battle Arena decks are more competitive but I would be annoyed if people are only spending $30 to buy 2 complete up to date competitive decks whilst I've spent more trying to get the cards singularly.

Pokemon wouldn't do that as they make more money from people buying boosters. The competitive side is not the main target audience-as mostly we get our cards from the second hand market so Pokemon doesn't profit. It comes from Joe Bloggs buying a few packs here and there.

It'd be an interesting concept playing with "older" cards, but I don't think a) competitive people would buy them as they don't need them and b) general audience wouldn't either as that's not what the kids want, they want the latest sets with the best shiny cards in

If you re-released old cards today, they are still new cards. Cards are only old because they were released a long time ago. If you made a time machine, and took today's cards, let's say, breakpoint cards, and released them in 2005, they'd be old cards by today's standards. Kids wouldn't be turned off when old cards are released today. There is no difference between old cards and new cards. It isn't like the newer cards have better 4K graphics than the old cards.

Cards are only new because they are fresh from the printing presses.

Back