Discussion What are the Magic Numbers?

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
No, Mr. Mime. Not today.
I just need a little help here: What numbers are the “magic numbers” that you must hit? Before Buzzwole GX and Zoroark GX stormed in, you had to hit the magic 180. Now, we have more options of HP, ranging from Jumpluff to Gardevoir GX. So, what’s the magic number?

You have 4 categories of magic numbers to hit. Number 1 is the pre-evolved/jumpluff category around 70/80 hp. The second one is the 120/130 one prize attacker range like buzzwole, garbodor, registeel etc. A third is the Basic or stage 1 GX tier which is 190/200/210. Fourth is the bulky stage 2 tier which is 230/240/250.
In my decks I always try to incorporate pokemon that together can at least hit 3 of those numbers. In my opinion the pre-evolved tier and the basic/stage 1 GX are the most important.

Power creep and/or a shifting metagame also means that the "magic numbers" no longer have much of a shelf-life. Right now, 130 is barely holding on as the "magic number" where being OHKO'd starts becoming less likely than more likely. I don't expect it to last much longer; the main reason for its continued relevance is Zoroark-GX doing 120 with a full Bench and no other buffs.

I feel like 130 is the 'every turn' magic number - if you can hit 130 every single turn, you're doing okay.

Above that, it seems like there's less of a hard line. The "instant OHKO" number used to be 180, with Zoroark being an obvious but common outlier that you had to be able to deal with, but there're so many 210-250 Pokémon GX out there right now that you either have to be okay two-hitting them (and just rely on consistency to win) or you have to have a pumpable big hitter (Necrozma GX, Blacephalon, etc.) So I wouldn't really say there's a true "magic number" in that area, though if you're playing GX attackers they probably need to be able to hit 180.

Back