General What Are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokémon?

RE: What are the best nicknames for each Pokemon?

Oh good, a nickname thread. I nickname all my pokemon, whether it be on simulators like Showdown! or in playthroughs, I just think it adds a degree of fun to the game.

Togekiss - Don't Blink (refrence to Dr. Who)
Tyranitar - Bossk (Refrence to Star Wars) or Reptar (RugRats)
Jirachi - Big Cheats (I use this whenever I use anything revolving around ParaFlinch) or gamercal (when I use a Calm Mind variant)
Chandelure - Balrog (Lord of the Rings refrence, Shadow + Flame, etc. I use the Shiny sprite when I use this nickname)
Slowbro - Patrick/No This is Patrick (Spongebob)
Darmanitan - Warg-Scout (Lord of the Rings refrence)
Any Rotom Forme - Voltergeist (I do enjoy puns :))
Porygon-Z - PZ or Easy PZ (another pun)
Regigigas - RegiJesus (punpunpunpunpunpunpun)
Breloom - Toad (Mario refrence)

^ lol at RegiJesus

I used to hate nicknaming but I do it more often now then I used to.

Hydreigon- B E A S T - He is a beast, also the letter then space is a reference to Need For Madness 2, a really good game
Simisear- He-Man (He looks like the blond guy from the popular youtube video "Heyeyeyeyaayeyayeya!")
Exploud- Mosart/Psy/Macklemore/Skrillex/Daft Punk/VanHalen/KISS/GuitarHero (Music, duh)
Coballion- General (He seems like the general or leader of the muskier trio)
Swampert - Skipper/Captain (The Skipper/Captain of a ship)
Crustle- The Rock (A Reference to the Rock, a part time wrestler and an actor. He was a real good wrestler from '98 to '02.)
Registeel - Stone Cold (A Reference to arguably the best actor wrestler of all time, Stone Cold Steve Austin. He wrestled in the WWF from '95 to '03.)

I love Ducksauce the Blaziken and Reptar the Tyranitar!

Let's seeeee...I've named
Two Herdiers Holmes and Watson. (Odor Sleuth and the mustaches)
A Doduo, Duet. (two heads)
A Pidgeot, Skyscraper, and a Swellow, Skywalker.
I've named almost all my water starters since I was little 'Turbo', except for Feraligatr, who I named Hyde. (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde)
A Clefable, Peach. (because it's peachy)
A Furret, Pounce.
A Carracosta, League. (League is usually used to describe measurements at sea)

That's all I can think of right now. :3

I name all of my legendaries after a Greek or Roman God (Lugia - Poseidon, Yveltal - Hades, Kyogre - Neptune, etc.).

My names on my rain team:

Politoed = I Toed You So (for the sake of being punny)
Vaporeon = Vabroeon (he's my bro)

All of the other Pokémon don't have a nickname.

TheRoyalXerneas said:
I name all of my legendaries after a Greek or Roman God (Lugia - Poseidon, Yveltal - Hades, Kyogre - Neptune, etc.).

It is also very funny and sarcastic nicknamas for weak pokemons like Magikarp -"GOD"

In a starter evolution thread, I saw someone say something like "Braixen... red-haired feminine witch with a wand... Ginny!" and I love me some Harry Potter references!

I have such a hard time coming up with a name on the spot when I catch one in-game. My only thoughtful nickname was given to my Milotic (that I searched forever to find that fricking Feebas), named Aphrodite (goddess of love and beauty). It was kind of funny giving an ugly fish the most majestic of greek goddesses name, but it TOTALLY worked when she evolved! :p

nightkeeper said:
In a starter evolution thread, I saw someone say something like "Braixen... red-haired feminine witch with a wand... Ginny!" and I love me some Harry Potter references!

I have such a hard time coming up with a name on the spot when I catch one in-game. My only thoughtful nickname was given to my Milotic (that I searched forever to find that fricking Feebas), named Aphrodite (goddess of love and beauty). It was kind of funny giving an ugly fish the most majestic of greek goddesses name, but it TOTALLY worked when she evolved! :p

I named one of my Milotics Naga. I don't know the real origins of Naga, but in FE:A Naga was a dragon goddess. So I felt Naga was a good fit for Milotic.

TheRoyalXerneas said:
nightkeeper said:

I named one of my Milotics Naga. I don't know the real origins of Naga, but in FE:A Naga was a dragon goddess. So I felt Naga was a good fit for Milotic.

When I hear Naga, I think of my favorite lovable polar-bear dog from Legend of Korra!

If it is possible I give my pokemon nicknames corresponding to their nature, looks and dex entries.

Such as 'Dolosus', the mischievous Skuntank.
'Florens', the flowering Vileplume
'Onerosum', the heavy Metagross
'Fabularis', the mythical Arcanine

Or the not so classy, D.F.Ferox
Defututa Favorabilis Ferox, the wild Charizard. The name is a bit vulgar, but I desired to express my opinion about Charizard in the first two words. Ferox is to please the Charizard fans and D.F.Ferox just looks fancier than just Ferox, tough Ferox has more impact when isolated. I will replace her soon with a new Charizard, since she has the worst nature.... He or she will have a less vulgar name.

RE: Best nicknames for each pokemon?

P.DelSlayer said:
-Tobias the Gallade (if you get the fictional reference then I love you)

I thought at first Tobias as in the Darkrai trainer but now I'm thinking its from a book or movie. Maybe Tobias from Divergent? That's my guess, he's a very brave character and would be a worthy namesake for Gallade.

I tthink the best nickname for a throu is Judo Mario. I saw it in a Pokemon White let's play.
Kudos if you can guess who.

Oh also i raised up a female stoutland and named her Fat Bitch.
What it makes sense!?

Raiku- Shirkan from Mogli
Kingler -Mr Krab from Spongbob
Chatot- That bird from Lion King what its name?

And the list goes on its really nice way to find a nickname by watching cartoons :)

scattered mind said:
Raiku- Shirkan from Mogli
Kingler -Mr Krab from Spongbob
Chatot- That bird from Lion King what its name?

And the list goes on its really nice way to find a nickname by watching cartoons :)

Zazu. Gosh I love feeling usefull.

RE: What are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokemon?

Current White 2 team:

• Umbreon - Binx (as in 'Thackery Binx', from the movie "Hocus Pocus")
  • Lucario - Lycan (short for "lycanthropy", Lucario could be seen as a mix between a human and a wolf)
  • Crobat - Myotis (the genus of the mouse-eared bat)
  • Duosion - Kid Omega (X-Men character with vast psionic abilities)
  • Seismitoad - Suijin (the Shinto god of water)
  • Electabuzz - Jupiter (Roman god of thunder)

Aquaria the Milotic - sounds elegant, just like Milotic

Pseudo the Sudowoodo - ......

Blitz the Zebstrika - sounds fast and electric

Whirlwind the Pidgeot

Nightwing the Crobat- sounds dark

Luna the Clefairy - pokemon anime reference

Poseidon the Empoleon - greek god of water

Pangaea the Torterra - when dinosaurs were alive all the land on earth was joined together in a massive continent and torterra is massive

Kronos the Dialga - greek god of time

Fang the Raticate - raticate has fangs

Deus the Arceus - deus means god in latin (i think)

Hypnos the Noctowl - noctowl hypnotizes you

Trance the Hypno - hypno puts you in a trance

Nightmare the Darkrai - gives you nightmares

Optimus/Sentinel the Golurk - transformers reference

I like giving my Pokémon short nicknames, namely four to five letters in size. I called my Jolteon for Tesla (as if that isn't used enough). Also, I called my Chandelure for Versailles, but I consider changing it to Archaic.

If I'm allowed to share the nicknames of my future Y team, here you go:
Froakie is going to be called Sensei, (if I do start with Chespin, he is going to be called Morarch), my Meowstic is going to be called Paradox or Theory (originating from Scrõdinger's Cat), my Pyroar is going to be called Simba (figure that one out) and my Spritzee evolution (if it evolves into that plague doctor-thing many speculate) it is simply going to be called Fraud or Pesta.

And that is about it.

I like quick, catchy, nicknames that describe my Pokemon. I used like to name my Pokemon random, cool-sounding, things but I fell like it lacked authenticity. I mean, you can name anything you want after anything you like but if there is no connection between the two ideas... I don't know. Anyway, I recently restarted my Diamond version as an attempt to try and like that game and found that nicknaming my Pokemon fun names helped with my overall experience. Here are some of my nicknames:

Saptrap: My Turtwig. This one is a fun name to say and is descriptive of my Pokemon's grass type while also defining him as a tough fighter.

Peckadilly: My Starly. This one is a silly nickname that I love probably more than I should. I love the name "Piccadilly," which describes a few locations in England although I was thinking of the Manchester location at the time. Its a funny, cute, name to say so I decided to turn it into a pun. Because. You know. Peck. Bird. Get it? Yeah... I'll stop now.

Hopscotch: My Bunneary. Pretty basic name but cute. Bunnies hop and hopscotch is game that requires hopping. Easy enough.

I tend to name Pokemon after other Pokemon. For example I named my Foongus "Regirock" and I named my one of my Liepards "Groudon". I have weird nick naming habits. Also, when ever I play through a Pokemon game I have a naming theme for fun. Here's an example.

Spruce the Blastoise
Willow the Pidgeot
Larch the Parasect
Rowan the Arcanine (I think that's how you spell Arcanine)
Cedar the Electrode
and Beech the Snorlax

Obviously, the naming theme is trees. Sometimes I just feel like naming my Pokemon whatever comes to mind. Here's what my current FireRed team is

Jackson the Blastoise (He just looks like a Jackson to me.)
Finchie the Pidgeot (Pretty self-explanatory, Finch is a bird..Finchie. Pidgeot. Bird.)
Croutons the Parasect (Eh, I was kind of hungry for a salad and I thought the salad could go with some croutons.)
Dumpling the Electrode (Because he is round. And Dumplings are round. I was hungry.)
Bulk the Arcanine (There must be quite a bit of muscle under that pelt, if its a "Legendary" Pokemon.)
and Couch Tot the Snorlax (Well, I couldn't fit Couch Potato, so I put Tot. If Snorlax is that fat it must be a Couch Potato, right?)

Back