Finished Werewolf XXXII: Dimensional Shift - The Second Postgame is Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Night 6

It appears the alliance never learnt their lesson in their haste to hammer yet another. simsands really wasn't faring all too well, and got hammered on Earth once again. Meanwhile, a member of the alliance was effectively having a monologue, and their vote brought Vom to the podium.

Suddenly, one of the alliance on Earth morphed into a Dimension Spirit, cackling "You fools! Don't you know that impatience never wins?".

Then, another member morphed on Earth, and one in H'trae. "As you probably can assume, you lynched none of us. Now, none of you can stop us!"

And as such they proceeded to kill the remaining of the alliance:

simsands was killed! They were Jez Paget.
You’re Jez Paget, and you’re aligned with the Interdimensional Alliance. You’re extremely perceptive; you see things that others don’t. While occasionally useful, you are distrusted for it, as the group fears your talent somehow relates to the Dimensional Spirits.

You will begin the game on Dimension Earth.

Passive Ability: Nocturnal
Your uncanny perceptive abilities carry through even while you’re asleep! This means that you will be able to detect whenever a Night action is made on you.

Passive Ability: Distrusted
Your skills have caused all to fear your true alignment. This means that you will take one less vote than normal to be lynched for each player that acts on you during the previous Night Phase plus one.

Hidden Ability: Silly Fears
[Hidden Abilities only reveal on role flip.]
During the most vital situations, these people will come to their senses and realise how silly their distrust in you is. This means that your ‘Distrusted’ Ability will fail to activate whenever it is lynch or lose.

Spacetime Warp: Redemption
[UNLOCKED]
You don’t want anyone to fall to the same fate you did! Each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of a player. If that player would be killed by any lethal actions that Night, you will protect that player. If you died by lynch, you may not choose a player whose vote was on you in the final Day tally. Once you successfully protect a player, this Spacetime Warp stops working.

Win Condition: To eliminate all threats to the Interdimensional Alliance.

Vom was killed! He was Gemma Wolfe.
You’re Gemma Wolfe, and you’re aligned with the Interdimensional Alliance. As the local reporter, NASA chose you to, well, report on the mission. You don’t know how your reporting is ever going to get home, though…

Active Ability: The Times
Your articles have frequently made the front page back home, and with no competition here, it should be even easier! Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts a headline (maximum 40 characters), which will be posted after the update at the beginning of the next Day Phase.

Spacetime Warp: Influential Whispers
[UNLOCKED]
The dead may not be alive, but they surely know things that the alive may not know. Once each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of an alive player and a message. That message will be sent to that player under an anonymous dead spirit at the end of the Night.

quakingpunch73 was killed! He was Jez Paget.
You’re Jez Paget, and you’re aligned with the Interdimensional Alliance. A religious guru told you that you had a gift of extreme perception. Unluckily for you, that guru was known to honor the Spirits, causing people to distrust you in fear you also honor the enemy.

You will begin the game on Dimension H’trae.

Active Ability: Seeing the Deep
But this fear certainly is not irrational - you can even perceive the mysterious Spacetime Warp! This means that each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will learn what that player’s Spacetime Warp does in a short summary. (If you target a player with a safe claim, you will learn that safe claim’s Spacetime Warp instead.)

Passive Ability: Distrusted
Your skills have caused all to fear your true alignment. This means that you will take one less vote than normal to be lynched for each player that acts on you during the previous Night Phase plus one.

Hidden Ability: Silly Fears
[Hidden Abilities only reveal on role flip.]
During the most vital situations, these people will come to their senses and realise how silly their distrust in you is. This means that your ‘Distrusted’ Ability will fail to activate whenever it is lynch or lose.

Spacetime Warp: Invisible Barrier
[UNLOCKED]
You can cast an invisible barrier that causes everything inside it to bounce off the walls! How neat. This means each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of a player. Any non-lethal actions made by that player will be reflected back to that player instead of their intended target. After you use this Spacetime Warp, it cannot be used again until one more Night has passed, to conserve your energy.

SilverSilent was killed! He was Krystelle Patterson.
You’re Krystelle Patterson, and you’re aligned with the Interdimensional Alliance. Of the group, you’re the only one whose background isn’t what you’d call helpful––you were a window-washer. But NASA hand-picked you, and you’re pretty sure they weren’t just throwing darts at a list, so you must be able to do something, right?

Active Ability: Window Reflection
A spirit can deceive the naked eye, but a spirit certainly cannot deceive a window! Laws of reflection and yaddiya. Each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of a player that was voting for you at any time during the previous Day Phase. You will learn if that player is a Dimensional Spirit or not.

Spacetime Warp: Overcast
[UNLOCKED]
Without windows being all nice and shiny, things are going to be a little bit darker until someone fixes things up. This means that for the Day Phase after you die, all voting MUST be done in secret by PMing the hosts, and all vote tallies excluding the final tally will be hidden from public.

Then, the Dimension Spirits revealed their true selves:

PMJ has achieved his win condition! He was Hule.
You’re Hule, and you’re aligned with the Dimension Spirits. You control all matter in the various dimensions. As matter differs between dimensions, it is imperative for you to quarantine foreign matter to prevent contamination.

You will begin the game on Dimension Earth

Active Ability: Daily Coffee

Everyone needs their cup of coffee for the morning. Each Night Phase you may PM the hosts the name of a player and a beverage (Cappuccino, Espresso, Latte, Mocha, Tea). During the next Day Phase, that player will be given the option to drink or not drink that beverage. If they drink the beverage, an effect will be inflicted on them dependent on the beverage type drunk.

Active Ability: The Crisis Committee of Unseen Forces
You have been elected by Dimension Earth to join the Crisis Committee of Unseen Forces! As a member, you must decide the fate of the daily lynchees through the committee majority vote. To assist in the decision, you and the other members have access to Dimension Limbo where the lynchees are temporarily transported to and may appeal in. To make your decision, each Night Phase, you MUST PM the hosts your vote of which lynchee should be killed. The lynchee who receives the majority vote across the committee will be lynched. If there is ever a tie, your tie will be the tiebreaker.

You have also received access to a QuickTopic (link sent separately) that each committee member can access and privately converse in.

Spacetime Warp: Matter
Due to your death, matter is now no longer contained in one dimension, making it difficult to distinguish between thought and reality. The other Spirits try to rectify this, but they don’t have any control over matter - all they can do is reveal snippets of information. Upon your death and after Night 4, information revealed in each role flip is limited to the name of the player and that player’s Spacetime Warps.

Win Condition: To eliminate all threats to the Dimension Spirits.

thegrovylekid has achieved his win condition! He was Barus.
You’re Barus, and you’re aligned with the Dimension Spirits. You have power over gravity in both parallel worlds. Gravity forces differ between dimensions; however, they have been disrupted significantly, causing forces to unravel and dissipate altogether.

Active Ability: Heavy Gravity
With just the right control over a player’s gravitational force, you can nullify actions! Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will prevent that player from being acted on (including with lethal actions) during that Night.

Spacetime Warp: Forces
Due to your death, you are unable to keep forces stable. This means the further death of Dimension Spirits will send shockwaves throughout both dimensions. If a Dimension Spirit (excluding you) is killed, the targets of all actions during the next Night Phase will be randomised among players. This Spacetime Warp cannot activate more than twice.

scattered mind has achieved his win condition! He was Chora.
You’re Chora, and you’re aligned with the Dimension Spirits. You can warp physical space, allowing for transportation between dimensions in the blink of an eye. The clash between parallel worlds have caused the spacetime continuum to rip, which is causing both dimensions to disintegrate.

Active Ability: Spacial Shift
Each Night Phase, you may PM the hosts the name of a player. You will warp space, transporting that player to Dimension Limbo. They will remain there for the duration of the upcoming Day Phase. They will be able to post in that dimension, and any posts they leave can be seen by other players trapped in that dimension in the future. At the start of the next Night Phase, that player will return to the dimension they were originally to be in. After you use this Ability, it cannot be used again until one more Night has passed.

This Ability also allows you to view Dimension Limbo.

Spacetime Warp: Space
Due to your death, the dimension of space has developed a mind of its own. Each Night, a random player will be warped from one dimension to the other. Furthermore, any Abilities that would force a player to remain in one dimension now fail to activate, and their effects lifted.

Miyami~~ and mordacazir have also achieved their win condition, but you already know who they are.

Congratulations to the Dimension Spirits for being the winners of Werewolf XXXII: Dimensional Shift! Thanks to all for playing!

The three ProBoard forums have been locked and everyone should be able now view them. Of course, everyone also may now post in this thread.

Also, the relevant links:

The ProBoards - [link]
The Dimension Spirits Chat - [link]
The Spirit Afterlife (went unused) - [link]
The Crisis Committee of Unseen Forces - [link]
The Dead Chat of Night - original [link]; QT [link]
The Master Doc - [link]
The Master Spreadsheet - [link]

The postgame should be up over this week, so keep an eye out!

Grats PMJ, TGK and sm for totally fooling me.

Props to bbninjas and Jabber for hosting a super inventive game that I really enjoyed. Thanks to everyone who elected me on the committee because the committee chat made me love this game. I think I really like neighbor roles.

Slops to everyone who was inactive for the last half of the game. :<

I also feel the need to apologize for my outbursts I made in the game during Day 4 and part of Day 5. I had just come off of losing my job and my depression was wrecking havoc on me, and so coming into PMJ's case on me was not what I needed. I know it's not a great excuse but it's my reality so yeah, my apologies.

Looking forward to double o squirtle and quakingpunch73's next game!

Also, I feel like we should talk about the alt forum mechanic since the applicants for the next Werewolf games want to use it and it'll help their games out by discussing why and why not this mechanic worked.

Last thing I want to say: I loved that this game was short for PB standards. I think we can learn a lot as hosts about not making WW a 2+ month commitment. I don't know if the hosts intended from this or not though so...

Last thing I want to say: I loved that this game was short for PokéBeach standards. I think we can learn a lot as hosts about not making WW a 2+ month commitment. I don't know if the hosts intended from this or not though so...
Yeah... we didn't really intend it to be short. However, with the three extra deaths and no town doctors, it naturally did go short. We probably could've dropped DoS' Warp down to Day 6 instead of Day 7 tbh.

EDIT: I'll be posting my thoughts on the mechanic in the postgame.

Congrats guys! TGK really fooled me this time! I thought it was really fun that the first person to be lynched was endgamed too!

Yeah, I definitely played horribly this game. Though, I really couldn't see any other way for the town to win the last couple days.

The result quaking got from investigating PMJ, was that his safe claim's warp?

Yeah... we didn't really intend it to be short. However, with the three extra deaths and no town doctors, it naturally did go short. We probably could've dropped DoS' Warp down to Day 6 instead of Day 7 tbh.

EDIT: I'll be posting my thoughts on the mechanic in the postgame.
I kinda figured. It's weird because theoretically, people should be more active in a shorter game, and yet the opposite happened. I think it might be worth trying again though.

I wonder if you'll finish your postgame before @Vom does!

Only complaint I have about the setup is that I would've liked to know how to activate my spacetime warp because I didn't think it was totally obvious that it activated on death.

Yeah, I definitely played horribly this game. Though, I really couldn't see any other way for the town to win the last couple days.

The result quaking got from investigating PMJ, was that his safe claim's warp?

Yes, it most definitely was. He'd have to be killed by scum for it to activate.

My thoughts on the alternate forum mechanic:

I guess I'll start by saying this: I don't think the mechanic was a great idea. It worked out much better than I had anticipated, but I was right: The ProBoards dramatically reduced activity because they are an out-of-the-way, separate forum. Most people (myself included) seemed to have forgotten about its existence. Most of the players posted decently less than their usual average for posting, and in the last two days, the inactivity combined with the low numbers, another side effect of ProBoards, meant that the scumteam had near-complete control. The ProBoards would probably be amazing if done right, but I don't think it was done well. Here's some ideas:

- Include ProBoards as part of an ability as opposed to a game mechanic. For example, a role that lets the owner choose a player and take away their ability to post in the main PB thread, but they have a ProBoards thread they could talk about the game in. At a certain point, the person who sends people there can choose to publicize it. The problem with including ProBoards as an ability is that it can and probably would be replaced by a QT.

- Keep the main thread unlocked and have another ProBoard so we don't need to rely on Camo to keep a dimension active. Also, merge them a lot sooner.

Those are just my thoughts, why don't you all say yours?

I felt like the separate dimension mechanic, while sounding good on paper, was sub-par in execution. It drastically reduced the town's discussion, while boiling the last few days down to "Lynch whoever scum says." Luckily (or unluckily if you liked this mechanic), it won't be reappearing in WW 33. Me and dos strive to ensure that there is Justice for All.

I liked the idea, didn't like the inactivity. I find that the mechanic made it really hard to get reads (when I said it took a long time to post mine I wasn't kidding). I think at one point it took 17 hours or something for someone to post.
Phoenix Wright werewolf game confirmed? :O
... ICNCND

Well, I guess I can take solace in the fact that my final scumreads were right, except I had quaking on there instead of scattered. I don't think my actual play this game was particularly good, though. I feel like I was destined to have fun by my role, as whoever had the role was important to the result of the game. I don't think either Prof or PMJ noticed it upon my death, but I cut out a sentence in my role which basically said "your vote is the tiebreaker, and the tiebreaker or a tiebreaker". IHANI why there needs to be a tiebreaker of a tiebreaker, but I'm assuming bb will mention it in the postgame. I also want to say that I'm flattered by how much PMJ talked about me in the scumchat. First as a possible namekill before he knew I was on the committee, and then mostly in a positive way thereon.

The discussion on the mechanics is bound to kick up, so I want to throw my hat into the ring early. This post will be kinda critical, but I want bb and Jabber to know that this was a super fun game, and criticism is inevitable in a game so experimental. Anyway, The roles in this game weren't that balanced, and it means that the game ended really early, and this is because of PB's meta. No one (besides me :x) questioned TGK's doc claim, because docs have never been given out as safe claims before. This is in spite of them being perfect safe claims. That's only one example, as I haven't looked into the rules that thoroughly. There's also the matter of low activity, and the fact that scum could use this to steamroll. If the mechanic were to be run again, dimensions definitely should be dissolved sooner to avoid this. I also feel like a larger dimensional committee would be preferred, as scum getting the nomination accounts for 1/3 of the vote. Naturally, since my vote was the only one that mattered in the end, this wasn't a huge deal. I scum read PMJ since at least mord's lynch and a little before then so I was cynical enough to not fall into the trap, but it's still a point worth making. It also would mean the committee chat would get used more.

While the mechanics in this game did have flaws, it was to be expected. I might as well say right now that me and Prof are one of the games in the queue, and we do use off-board posting. Discussion is also split up, but it's done differently, and off-board posting is necessary for other mechanics as well. I'm not interested in the mechanic becoming a super common thing here because I feel it will get stale if bb's mechanics are just swiped and repeated, but using another forum on PokéBeach is something I wanted to do for a long time as it happens frequently on another forum I play on, and it's necessary for other mechanics in the game. It just so happens to have happened right after bb's game, and one of Prof's ideas is sort of reminiscent of this game.

As for changes to this formula, dimensions need to be dissolved earlier and I'd be interested in seeing roles with more interaction with the dimension mechanic. Players having more freedom over which dimension they're in would be appreciated I think.

Wow, we won, what a surprise.

I don't think that the ProBoards mechanic was a bad idea per se. The biggest problem this game suffered from was inactivity. It was way too easy for us to direct a lynch onto whoever we wanted since everyone just lurked or was inactive. It was a terrible negative feedback loop:

>case gets posted
>one or two votes added
>no one listens to defense
>player loses morale and gives up

This happened with just about every lynch. Credit where it's due, but I think that the inactivity played no small part in our win.

Scum is also really powerful with this mechanic due to the ability to keep tabs on both dimensions at all times. My game is the other game who wanted to use this mechanic, but I'm not sure I want to use it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back