Finished Werewolf XXV: Party in Kanto! - Game Over! Town Wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
pQ8jZxr.png

For the celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Indigo League, a great party was to be hosted in Kanto. Professor Oak gladly offered to host the gala at his laboratory in Pallet Town where there would be plenty of space and the guests could let their Pokémon roam free. In addition to the Elite 4 and the Gym Leaders of both the Kanto and Johto regions leagues, Champions from various regions around the world were invited to partake in the merriment as well. Unfortunately, the party was also attended by a number of uninvited visitors. When Team Rocket found out about the party, they sent some of their best operatives to kidnap some of the guests and their Pokémon, hoping to sneak into the party in disguise and incapacitate the others and take control of Oak's laboratory and all the Pokémon within...

Party in Kanto
a Werewolf game hosted by Athena​

Hello there! Glad to meet you! Welcome to the world of POKéMON!

... Oh, sorry, I got a bit carried away there. My name is Athena. People affectionately refer to me as the POKéMON PROFESSOR... or at least they will, once I finish my residency and get my degree. For now, I'm just a Pokémon student, and an assistant of Professor Oak. As an intern, I mostly spend my time fetching him a cup of coffee or cleaning up Pokémon poop in the back fields, but occasionally I get to see some very interesting research. For now, my main duty is to make sure this party is a success, and that means I get to collect the mail every day and accept sign-ups from the people who are accepting their invitations and coming to join the party.

What do you think, are you interested in joining? If so, we'll be happy to have you! To join in, all you need to do is post in this thread. However, I will kindly ask you to please read the Rules, GM Notes, Flavour, and Mechanics sections of your invitation before the game begins. If you have any questions at all, you're welcome to ask!

Night/Day Phase Links

Rules

The part full of boring stuff you need to know about and abide by in order to play this game and not get kicked out and/or made fun of mercilessly.

1. This is a game of Werewolf, otherwise known as Mafia in some circles. If you haven't played a WW/Mafia game before, I suggest you take a look at our WW Master Doc & Terminology thread, and maybe take a look at some previous games to get a feel for what you're getting yourself into. The rest of the rules and everything else in this thread will assume that you are familiar with standard WW play.
  2. This game will consist of both Day and Night phases. A standard Day phase will be 72 hours long (3 days), with a standard Night phase being 48 hours long (2 days). In the case of a majority lynch vote, the Day phase will end immediately, but if no majority is reached by the end of the 72 hour phase, the lynch will be decided by plurality. More information about the Day/Night phases can be found in the Mechanics section below.
  3. This game consists of 2 main factions: the Indigo League (townies) and Team Rocket (scum). There may or may not be Indies or other factions.
  4. Voting should be done with the following format: ##verb: playername and unvoting with: ##unverb: playername. The ## and bolding must be done in order for your vote to count, otherwise I might not see it. When unvoting, please make sure whatever verb you use has "un" in the beginning (even if it's a different verb) so it's clear that it's a proper unvote. "No Lynch" is NOT an accepted vote!
  5. If you have a specific GM inquiry that you are posting to the thread, please use the following format: @Athena: question. This will ensure that I know the question is directed to me and actually meant to be answered, and will make sure that it stands out among the rest of the posts.
  6. Players that are inactive may be removed from the game with a replacement player joining in to take their spot. What constitutes "inactivity" is purposefully left vague to avoid people participating the absolute minimum and still stay in the game, but rest assured that I will attempt to contact any and all inactive players before subbing them out so no one should ever be subbed unawares. If you know ahead of time that you will not be able to participate, you are welcome to PM me and formally request a sub.
  7. Under punishment of modkill and/or extreme GM heckling, the following rules apply to all players and spectators:
    • You may not communicate about this game to any other player or sub outside of this thread and/or any GM sanctioned QTs, unless otherwise stated.
    • You may not edit any post for any reason.
    • If a majority vote has been reached, nobody may vote or unvote.
    • You may not screenshot or directly quote any GM communication, including Role PMs. If you wish to share your role or anything else said by me, you must paraphrase my words.
    • If you are not playing in the game, you are not allowed to post in this thread from the time the game starts until it is finished. Non-players are also not allowed to "like" any game posts.
    • Players are allowed to "like" posts so long as they are alive, but if they die, they are subject to the same restrictions as a non-player.
  8. These rules may be added to or modified at any point. However, if I do so, I will say so in a new post in the thread so that everyone knows there has been a rule amendment.

GM Notes

General GM Availability: All times here are given in my time zone, CET (Central European Time, GMT+1). I'm 6 hours ahead of American Eastern time, and 9 hours ahead of American Pacific time. In terms of giving the timing for Night/Day phases, I will try to give times in my own zone and well as in some American time zones (and distance from the time of the post) for ease of understanding.

Weekdays Daytime: 8.00~17.30. Obviously I won't be sitting at the computer the whole time, but unless I have errands to run, I won't be far away, and will check up on the thread and PMs frequently. This is the best time to reach me and the time when updates will be posted closest to their posted times.
Weekday Evenings: Sparingly from 19.30~22:00. I will not be here much, though I will try and check on once or twice.
Weekends: Sparingly from 9.00~22:00. I mostly spend my weekends doing things with my husband, but I will check on the game a couple times throughout the day.

The part where I apologize for being new at hosting here and talk about a few things regarding that.

For those who are not aware, this is my first time hosting a WW here at PokéBeach. However, this is not the first time that I have hosted a WW game at all; indeed, I'm a rather prolific host on another forum community and have GMed a few dozen games over the last few years there. The good news is that it means I'm a well-versed and accomplished host. The bad news is that all of my experience and knowledge comes from hosting games with a vastly different playstyle and meta than that of PokéBeach.

To that end, this game is something of a compromise. I am adopting as much of the PokéBeach playstyle and meta as I can, and hopefully this should make the game welcome and fun for all players, whether they are WW veterans or newbies here. However, I am still designing the game on the back end much the same way as I would a game for my other community, in hopes of keeping the game as balanced as possible and to make sure that I am able to adequately GM to the best of my abilities. As a result, I am not entirely sure how things will work out, but I'm trying to keep the game itself relatively simple so there should be few difficulties.

One of the biggest hurdles that I have to cross is actually one of terminology, as I am very used to thinking and talking in different terms than are typically used here. For example, where I come from the name "Mafia" is used for these games instead of "Werewolf" or "WW". I try to use PokéBeach's terms as often as I remember, but I may slip up. And so, here is a glossary of some common terms that I may use accidentally and their PokéBeach equivalents. If I ever use a term that you do not understand and that is not in the WW Terminology post, please ask and I will be happy to explain.

• Inno/Innocents - Town/Townies
  • Mafia/Mafians - Scum/Wolves
  • OMT/TMT/xMT - Indie/Indies
  • Affiliation Seer/Scanner - Cop
  • Chocolate - Role Madness, every player starts with an ability of some sort
  • Vanilla - no ability or role
  • Nightfall - the GM posting the lynch information and formally starting the Night phase
  • Daybreak - the GM posting the night action results and formally starting the Day phase

If I think of any more, or any more come across during the course of the game, I'll add them.

Flavour

The part that talks about the theme of the game and the roles herein.

As mentioned in the opening section of this post, the flavour of this game is a party hosted at Professor Oak's lab. The invitees are: the Gym Leaders from Kanto (8), the Gym Leaders from Johto (8), the Indigo League Elite 4 (4), and Champions from all over (5). This brings us to our total of 25 players. The members of Team Rocket have kidnapped a number of these guests, this giving themselves appropriately named cover roles to help avoid a massclaim situation.

For continuity's sake, the Leaders, E4 members, and Champions are all chosen from the later chronology. So, the E4 are those from GSC/HGSS with Lance counting as the Indigo Champion. Blue is the Leader from Viridian City, and Koga counts as an E4 member with his daughter Janine representing the Fuchsia City Gym. Iris also appears as the Champion for Unova rather than Alder. RSE/ORAS is kind of a weird case because it has 2 Champions that technically occupy the same timeframe, so Steven was chosen because he's cooler because he was the Champion in the most recent games, ORAS, so it seems more fitting.

This game also uses both Anime and Game continuity. For example, Giovanni is the acting head of a still-functioning Team Rock, and some anime-only Team Rocket characters may appear, but on the other hand, Blue goes by his game-name, and not by his anime name of Gary.

You do not need to be familiar with any of this flavour in order to play and enjoy the game.

PS: Erika's place in the banner is only because she's my favourite Gym Leader and I thought she looked nice with the background. It doesn't hint at her having any special role in this game or anything.

Mechanics

The part that talks more in-detail about various game stuff, including Day/Night phases, role powers, etc.

Some of this may be superfluous, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, so have a wall o' text!

Abilities:

This is a Role Madness game, which means that all players will start with at least one ability. Some players will only have one ability; some will have more than one. Here is an example of an ability:

Athena's Shellos (passive): Shellos is intensely protective of Athena, and therefore Athena is immune from any and all in-game deaths, during the Day or Night, including lynch, nightkill, or vigilante kill.

The ability's name and type are bolded. There are two main types of abilities: passive and active. Active abilities must be triggered to be used, and as a general rule, only one active ability can be used each Night. Passive abilities are always on and can be stacked. Many abilities are unlimited and can be used once each phase, but some more powerful abilities may be limited to once or X number of times per game; any limits will be specified in the ability itself. Some abilities may also count as Free Actions. Free Actions can be performed in addition to any other active ability. The scum team's Nightkill is one example of a Free Action.

Most abilities are "Night" abilities and can only be used during the Night phase. However, if your ability tells you that it is a "Day" ability, you must instead use it during the Day phase. All Night abilities will resolve during the Daybreak post in a specific order (with the scum's Nightkill being the last action to take place), but Day abilities can happen during any time in the Day phase. Unless otherwise stated, I will process Day abilities immediately as soon as I read the PM performing them. If you have a Day ability and you wish me to delay your action until a certain time for any reason (such as wanting to disguise the availability of the person who used the action), you need only tell me when it should take place and I will be happy to oblige within reason; after all, I can't exactly process actions in the middle of the night while I'm asleep, no matter how nicely you ask me.

Some players may gain additional abilities throughout the course of the game through various means. Those abilities function the same as starting abilities and any differences will be noted in the description of the ability.

Voting & Lynching:

As I mentioned in the Rules, this game (like most here) functions with a hammer mechanic in the case of a majority vote. If more than half the number of valid votes are on the same player at any given point, no other votes or unvotes are accepting, the Day phase immediately ends, and the player is lynched. "Valid Votes" in this case includes any extra hidden weighted votes given by any present vote manipulation. The number of votes needed to hit this magic number will be posted in the Daybreak post and also any official GM Tally posts.

If the full 72 hour phase goes by without a majority vote, the player leading the plurality vote (ie, the one with the most votes, even if it's not a majority) is the one that will be lynched. If the plurality vote is a tie between 2 or more parties, only one of those players will be lynched, with the lynched party chosen by "Sekrit GM Technique". No, it's not random and has already been decided upon.

I will post official GM Tallies at least twice a day, once when I get up in the morning, and once before I go to bed. I will also attempt to fulfill any requests for new tallies if they are made while I am around. Any hidden vote manipulation will NOT be shown in my tallies (eg, if player X has a vote weight of 2, it will only show as 1 vote on the posted tally).

Nightfall & Daybreak Timing:

Nightfall: As long as I am on the computer, I will monitor the game and votes very closely to make sure that Game Freeze is called as soon as a majority vote is reached, but I certainly don't spend all my time on the computer. Therefore, it is also the responsibility of the players to make sure that votes are tracked and that no one continues to vote or unvote if/when a majority vote happens. If I'm not around, I'll call Game Freeze once I'm online. Nightfall will always be posted as soon as I can reasonably process it, and the 48 Night phase will begin once I've posted.

Daybreak: Since the Night phase is always a flat 48 hours, it should be easier for me to make sure to process Daybreak as close as possible to the 48 hour mark, though I will of course always give people the full 48 hours to make or change their actions. The 72 hour countdown for the Day phase will begin from the time I submit the post.

Extended Days/Nights: If I know my availability is going to be limited for some reason, I may extend either Night or Day phases to accommodate my schedule. If this happens, I should be able to warn players about it during a Daybreak/Nightfall post, so they shouldn't come as a surprise.

Delays: If I ever have a case where I have to delay the processing of a Day or Night phase, I will attempt to post in thread and give an estimate of when the update will be posted. Hopefully this shouldn't happen, but I like to have my bases covered.

Scum Mechanics:

In addition to the QT and Nightkill, the scum team in this game has a few mechanics that only they will know about that will remain hidden to the innos. They have to have some secrets after all! Scum team mechanics will be shared in full at the end of the game.

Pokémon-Related Abilities vs. Non-Pokémon Abilities

Most of the abilities in this game are Pokémon-related; these have names like the "Athena's Shellos" sample given in the OP. However, not all abilities are linked to a Pokémon in this way and they have completely different names that to do mention a Pokémon at all. Some roles in this game specifically reference Pokémon or Non-Pokémon abilities and interact with those in different ways, which is why I am clarifying this. If you have any questions about how this affects your role, please PM me.

Leaving the Party = Kill

Since this game has the theme of a party, lynches and kills in this game do not actually cause those characters to die; instead, they are simply forced to leave the party and not allowed to return. There are some abilities that make reference to people "leaving the party"; these all reference WW-kills in some way depending on context. If your Role PM has leaving the party references that you do not fully understand, simply PM me and I will explain it in non-flavour speak.

Players!

This game is made for 25 players and is first come, first serve. You may also choose to sign up as a sub to replace a player in case of inactivity.

I will close sign-ups and begin the process of randomizing and sending out roles once I hit 25 players or on Wednesday, February 11th, whichever comes later.

I didn't expect turn-out to be as large as it was, and I could probably add 5 more spots to the game if there are 5 more people who still want to play. If you're interested, or you're already a player who has an opinion on the idea of more spots, feel free to post. :3 - Decided against adding more; sorry folks. If you want a chance at playing, you're welcome to sign up as a sub!

Players:

1. Ice Espeon
  2. Lenny - Sabrina, townie, Killed N4
  3. Keeper of Night - Steven, townie, Killed N2
  4. TwistedTurtwig - James, scum, Lynched D4
  5. Scorched Feathers - Misty, townie, killed N6
  6. PMJ
  7. Chaos Jackal - Koga, townie, Killed N4
  8. Celever - Karen, townie, Modkilled D1
  9. Luispipe8 - Whitney, townie, Killed N4
  10. Jeremy1026 - Lt. Surge, townie, Killed N5
  11. Mr.Muffin - Bruno, townie, Lynched D6
  12. bbninjas - Cynthia, townie, Lynched D1
  13. Squirtle Squad - Jasmine, townie, Killed N3
  14. Camoclone - Blaine, townie, Killed N2
  15. Jarizard grantm1999 - Lance, townie, Killed N5
  16. BigfootAUS - Jessie, scum, Lynched Day 3
  17. Vom - Falkner, townie, Nightkilled N1
  18. Teal - Morty, townie, Modkilled D6
  19. Reinforce
  20. Cinesra
  21. Machamp the Champion - Janine, Townie, Killed N5
  22. Wailord_2 My Little Keldeo - Pryce, townie, Lynched D5
  23. rev3rsor - Butch, scum, Lynched D2
  24. TheGuy GM DracLord
  25. Brave Vesperia - Giovanni, scum, Modkilled D2

Subs:
  1. GM DracLord subbed in for TheGuy 22/2
  2. My Little Keldeo subbed in for Wailord_2 4/3
  3. grantm1999 subbed in for Jarizard 24/2
  4. SotS

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice Espeon

_____________________________________hi
RE: Werewolf XXV: Party in Kanto! - sign-ups open!

In. This looks set to be a fantastic game :D

Lenny

its back boys and girls

In in in!!!!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

I just got laid off so I have more time. I'm in.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Scorched Feathers said:
ok I was a terribad cohost last time but i n

This. :p At least the game ended, which is nice, but it was still a mess. xD

Anyways, I'm in! Can't wait for the game to start! :D

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!

I will join!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

Innnnnn!!!!!

Can we use ##VOTE verbs? So... ##SHEERCOLD Athena?

Jarizard

Aspiring Trainer

This is my first game of pokebeach mafia! So keen!! IN

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

Jarizard said:

Good luck! And don't let Camo destroy you Day 1.

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head

bbninjas said:
Jarizard said:

Good luck! And don't let Camo destroy you Day 1.

The fact that he called it mafia means he's good enough not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.