Weekly TCG Update #5

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Hello there, PokéBeach. This is part four of a series of Portal Posts called the Weekly TCG Updates. The point of this series is to get players informed of Pokémon TCG related news as well as promote competitive observations of certain Japan-exclusive cards. In these Monday evening posts, you will also be informed of any news that will affect the TCG section of the forums.

Grains of Sand winners this past week!
  • [member]RogueChomp[/member] - 2 (Observation of the Week Winner)

Make sure to keep making valuable posts in the future! We haven't seen any worthy of Grains of Sands this past week.

PokéBeach news/reminders!
  • [member]Celebi23[/member] has filmed an interesting TCG matchup that players can watch here.
  • The Website Feedback forum still exists! It's times like these where we are in need of member feedback! Every single post of feedback will be considered.
  • We are in need of TCG articles. If you are interested, please PM [smod]Nigel[/smod] with a topic you are interested in writing about and I will let you know if it is taken or available.

TCG News in a Nutshell:

Competitive Observation of the Week:

Salamence – Dragon – HP140
Stage 2 – Evolves from Shelgon

Ability: Lofty Wind
Your opponent discards cards from his or her hand until he or she has 4 cards remaining. You can use this Ability 1 time during your turn.

[R][W][C][C] Tear Through: 90 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: Dragon (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

1) If you could change this card for the better, what would you change?

2) If any, which archetypes do you see this card in?

Please PM all answers to the Observation of the Week to [smod]Nigel[/smod]. The most thorough answer will be featured in next week's Weekly TCG Discussion post and that member will be awarded 2 Grains of Sand!

Last week's winner:
RogueChomp said:
Celebi-EX, a cute little time traveler that can change the past and future. However, is it really cute, or could it be a deadly machine that could decide your fate? Maybe, but with the exception of these changes.
Celebi EX has an unique ability that lets you "recall" moves from past evolution stages, much, if not exactly, like Memory Berry from Platinum. Its attack his a "Hit and run" type move, getting itself out of the active to escape danger, but not Pokemon Catcher. Its HP is horrible, its retreat is decent, and its weakness is fine. However, there are some things I would like to change.

HP- 110 HP lets this pokemon get OHKOd by Zekrom, Reshiram, Lugia EX, and countless other popular pokemon. I would raise the HP to 130, as now it has the magic 130 HP, so it dodges OHKOs from many pokemon in the format. It definitally isn't too high, as it is an EX and most EXs have 160+ HP, with the exception of this, Shaymin EX, and Mew EX.

Retreat- I think the retreat could be lowered to 0. This allows it to operate without the aid of Skyarrow Bridge. Though its attack technically "retreats" it, most archetypes that include Celebi EX will not have it for attacking.

Attack- 60 damage? This attack needs more energy than Ninjask DRX, which does the same thing. I would either bring the damage up to 70 or bring the energy cost down to {G}{C}. Now it doesn't need to count on DCE to attack T2, and the attack isn't particularly broken either.

Resistance- With the upcoming Keldeo EX, water types will rise again. How about some resistance for a change? I think Celebi should get a -20 Water resistance as now it can resist a 4 energy Keldeo. With its low HP, it could use a boost.

With an interesting ability, you would think that Celebi EX would be used for copying lower stage moves. The main archtypes I see it in and have heard of are Scolipede FB/CF and Aggron.
Scolipede gets access to Venoshock, which can hit for 80 (poison added). With the additon of Virbank City Gym, they take 100 damage. With Max Potion, this could become an annoying and devastating deck.
Aggron DRX is used to mill your opponent, much like Durant, except with its ability and devolution spray. Along with Celebi EX, Aggron is allowed to use Lairons second attack, which mills your opponent until you flip tails. This could be very helpful as it can mill between 0 to infinite cards. Though more luck based, it can also take easy KOs that can set back your opponent.

RogueChomp said:
I dont think my new grains of sand were added :p

The Grains of Sand collection thread wasn't updated with it either, so that might explain the mishap (the thread is now). I'm sure VY or Nigel will be able to add it in now that it's in the thread and mentioned here.

dmaster out.

Back