Discussion Weavile + Spread Decks

xTITAN

Training Aspirer
Recently, I've been playing some Weavile/Koko/Meowstic and it's been doing really well. Personally, I think Weavile is a really scary to play against and that it could be super good with Meowstic. I also think that the list I'm running, even without Lele, is far more consistent than any other spread deck right now.

What do you guys think about Weavile and spread decks and how viable they are at the moment?

Viable? Very. Of course they'd work better with the Tapu Lele, but we make do with what we have. The thing that makes these spread decks good is the multiple nubmber of evolution decks.

Viable? Very. Of course they'd work better with the Tapu Lele, but we make do with what we have. The thing that makes these spread decks good is the multiple nubmber of evolution decks.
I mean, all other spread decks run Lele, just not Weavile.

I mean, all other spread decks run Lele, just not Weavile.

This is why I don't like it when people leave off the "-GX" or similar things from card names; it makes it easier for people to become confused.

xTITAN, FlavorfulPineApl means Tapu Lele (SM: Black Star Promos SM45); it has an attack for [PC] that allows you to move the damage counters around on your opponent's side of the field.

This is why I don't like it when people leave off the "-GX" or similar things from card names; it makes it easier for people to become confused.

xTITAN, FlavorfulPineApl means Tapu Lele (SM: Black Star Promos SM45); it has an attack for [PC] that allows you to move the damage counters around on your opponent's side of the field.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Thank you for clarifying Otaku.

My bad. I didn't even think about the confusing names since baby Lele isn't legal yet and the GX is used so much.

On the topic of the new Tapu Lele promo, I don't think it will be used over Meowstic in Standard. Although it's a basic, taking 2 turns to power up is a lot worse than needing a turn to evolve.

My bad. I didn't even think about the confusing names since baby Lele isn't legal yet and the GX is used so much.

On the topic of the new Tapu Lele promo, I don't think it will be used over Meowstic in Standard. Although it's a basic, taking 2 turns to power up is a lot worse than needing a turn to evolve.
more space is really the issue

What about the Bronzong from BKT? It deals 30 damage to each of your opponents Pokémon that already has any damage on it for a Double Colorless Energy. Combined with Tapu Koko promo and Choice Band, your dealing a lot of damage. The only problem that I have with Weavile is that it doesn't deal damage to everybody (only to Pokémon with abilities) and deals damage to your side of the field. Bronzong, Tapu Koko, and Necrozma GX can deal a lot of damage to almost everybody (just not Necrozma GX) for a cheap cost. Throw in an Espeon EX and you have yourself a deck.

more space is really the issue
Weavile (and the other spread decks, to an extent) aren't really in dire need of extra space. In all the spread decks, I think the advantage gained from being able to power up your finishing Pokémon in 1 turn is more valuable than the extra 2 slots you receive from using Tapu Lele.

What about the Bronzong from BKT? It deals 30 damage to each of your opponents Pokémon that already has any damage on it for a Double Colorless Energy. Combined with Tapu Koko promo and Choice Band, your dealing a lot of damage. The only problem that I have with Weavile is that it doesn't deal damage to everybody (only to Pokémon with abilities) and deals damage to your side of the field. Bronzong, Tapu Koko, and Necrozma GX can deal a lot of damage to almost everybody (just not Necrozma GX) for a cheap cost. Throw in an Espeon EX and you have yourself a deck.
Bronzong is a Stage 1 that requires DCE. It's already tough to find DCE for Tapu Koko, finding another for a Bronzong that gets softened by Po Town isn't really viable.

Similar to how Garbodor is so good right now because of how many abilities are being used, Weavile is also in a spot to deal a lot of damage. Nearly all decks play 1-2 Tapu Lele to the bench each game and Octillery/Oranguru are common nowadays. If there are just 2 Pokémon with ability on your opponents board, Weavile is matching Tapu Koko's maximum output for just 1 colorless energy and often times, Weavile can match Necrozma's damage turn after turn. Additionally, Weavile spread doesn't play any Pokémon with abilities, except for maybe a 1-of Necrozma-GX, so the 'recoil' from it's attack isn't much of a problem.

Finally, unlike Bronzong (or Zoroark-GX), which worsens the struggle to keep up with DCE attachments, Weavile can be powered up in 1 turn with basic energy, resulting in faster and more consistent spreading and pressure.

Weavile (and the other spread decks, to an extent) aren't really in dire need of extra space. In all the spread decks, I think the advantage gained from being able to power up your finishing Pokémon in 1 turn is more valuable than the extra 2 slots you receive from using Tapu Lele.

Bronzong is a Stage 1 that requires DCE. It's already tough to find DCE for Tapu Koko, finding another for a Bronzong that gets softened by Po Town isn't really viable.

Similar to how Garbodor is so good right now because of how many abilities are being used, Weavile is also in a spot to deal a lot of damage. Nearly all decks play 1-2 Tapu Lele to the bench each game and Octillery/Oranguru are common nowadays. If there are just 2 Pokémon with ability on your opponents board, Weavile is matching Tapu Koko's maximum output for just 1 colorless energy and often times, Weavile can match Necrozma's damage turn after turn. Additionally, Weavile spread doesn't play any Pokémon with abilities, except for maybe a 1-of Necrozma-GX, so the 'recoil' from it's attack isn't much of a problem.

Finally, unlike Bronzong (or Zoroark-GX), which worsens the struggle to keep up with DCE attachments, Weavile can be powered up in 1 turn with basic energy, resulting in faster and more consistent spreading and pressure.

Understandable. Just to make sure I didn't mess up, I mean a different deck without the Weaviles, just Bronzong, Tapu Koko, Necrozma GX, etc.

On the topic of finding energy, I agree except for one thing. I'm including four copies of the new Counter Energy to increase chances of finding one. The point of my version of the deck is to take out everything you're opponent plays at once (a little slower than Weavile, but effective) so your opponent is more than likely going to have more prizes than you for most of the game. The only problem is having that energy stick, especially with all of the Special Energy removal cards flying around. Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing a new spread deck. I happen to own most of the cards anyways on PTCGO, so I'll try out Tapu Koko/Bronzong anyways to see if it works. Also, I'll try out my own version of the Weavile/Spread in comparison to Tapu Koko/Bronzong.

Thanks for pointing that out though, and I'll let you know how my tests work. Thanks!

Understandable. Just to make sure I didn't mess up, I mean a different deck without the Weaviles, just Bronzong, Tapu Koko, Necrozma GX, etc.

On the topic of finding energy, I agree except for one thing. I'm including four copies of the new Counter Energy to increase chances of finding one. The point of my version of the deck is to take out everything you're opponent plays at once (a little slower than Weavile, but effective) so your opponent is more than likely going to have more prizes than you for most of the game. The only problem is having that energy stick, especially with all of the Special Energy removal cards flying around. Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing a new spread deck. I happen to own most of the cards anyways on PTCGO, so I'll try out Tapu Koko/Bronzong anyways to see if it works. Also, I'll try out my own version of the Weavile/Spread in comparison to Tapu Koko/Bronzong.

Thanks for pointing that out though, and I'll let you know how my tests work. Thanks!
Yeah, I was aware that you were talking about playing Bronzong in favor of Weavile. I have thought about Counter Energy, and it will be great in spread decks other than Weavile once it releases. I do think that running a Zoroark-GX line for consistency over a Bronzong line that only yields 10 extra spread damage per turn would be better though.

With Tapu Lele, I just assumed Max Elixir (for Standard) and Dimension Valley (for Expanded). Yes, that seems a little naive now, because I wasn't taking into account the rest of my deck. Well, hypothetical deck; it has been a long time since I tried this strategy, and I'm behind in testing all the "maybe rogue, maybe fun" decks I has hoped to give a try. My experience with Meowstic (XY: Flashfire 43/106; Generations RC15/RC32) is the not-quite-competitive and definitely old deck headed by Gourgeist (XY 57) and backed by Garbodor (BW: Dragons Exalted 54/124; BW: Plasma Freeze 119/116; BW: legendary Treasures 68/113). Yes, I'm talking a few years ago when that was Standard legal. ^^'

Oh, wow... I didn't even think about Max Elixir. Lele SM45 would totally fit into the Spread + Garb build which already plays Elixirs. You could play an extra Elixir and another consistency card to get spread going more often.

Back