ORAS Weather and Time in Hoenn

Drohn

Wild War Dance
The original Ruby and Sapphire games were the first game where weather had a major influence on the game due to Groudon and Kyogre. Next to the fact it is home to the Weather Trio, there is a weather institute, a Pokémon focused on the weather (Castform), a route where it's (always?) raining, and of course the Drought and Downpour that appear in the region during a phase in the game due to Groudon's and Kyogre's influence.

Since weather has been so important for Hoenn and the legendary Pokémon that originate in the region I wonder if there will be other upgrades to the weather system. In XY we already saw one upgrade I was hoping for; rain randomly appearing.

Will there be more places where you can always find a certain weather condition? Will weather randomly appear on certain places? Will Castform get more changes than just the new move Hurricane? Will the weather institute have any game changing information?

What I would like to see is sun also appearing in certain places rather than just rain. I also think it would be great if the weather changes were not limited to certain routes, but that they can happen anywhere in the region. Something else that could be interesting is locations that become available depending on the weather in a certain area. Perhaps a place where you can only Surf to on occasions when it's raining and the water is high enough or places that are available when they are not underwater during sun.

What do you think and hope weather will be like in Hoenn?

Ice Espeon said:
I've changed the title of the thread to include time as well as weather, as that seems to be one of the directions the conversation is heading in :)

RE: Weather in Hoenn

I would love to see weather coming and going all over the region and more weather types appearing. It might make Castform more relevant, too; I kind of feel like the little guy gets overlooked a lot.

Perhaps a place where you can only Surf to on occasions when it's raining and the water is high enough or places that are available when they are not underwater during sun.
That would be cool! Reminds of Black and White where you had places you could go depending on season.

There is potential to do stuff like that with the remakes but I don't think there will be, hope the devs prove me wrong. :D

My hope for the weather in OR/AS (without considering anything competitively):

Sun: Grass Pokemon will gain x2 EXP. I mean, this is just logic.
Rain: Fire types looses little HP each turn. again.. logic: can you see Charmander dancing freely in the rain? I know I don't.
Hail: non Ice type Pokemon that cannot fly or levitate looses speed by one stage when entering. I always thought that snow should slow you down unless you are made of it.
Sand: Everything here is fine by me.

More and random weather across Hoenn would be great, but I'd prefer seasons more. Not only do they give another feel to the places we already know but it also changes the day/night cycle.

As for Castform, I agree with Athena. Not only that, I would like to see a threesome of items, one from Kyogre, one from Rayquaza and one from Groundon that would give new and more powerful forms to Rainy Castform, normal Castform and Sunny Castform.

I'm 100% sure weather will have more of a factor. I don't see it being in any more places though then it was before. Weather boosts seem to always get a decrease (lasting 5 turns) or increase coming from a competitive play standpoint.

I agree with scattered mind, it would be awesome if map weather gave a boost for each respective type and decrease for opposite typing.

Leaf_Ranger said:
More and random weather across Hoenn would be great, but I'd prefer seasons more. Not only do they give another feel to the places we already know but it also changes the day/night cycle.

Seasons in Hoenn would definitely be nice. They can work together well with weather. More snow in the Winter, more rain in Autumn, and more sun in Spring and Summer.

Drohn said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Seasons in Hoenn would definitely be nice. They can work together well with weather. More snow in the Winter, more rain in Autumn, and more sun in Spring and Summer.

Have the seasons update live off of the 3DS timer.

IMO weather that functions like seasons (in the sense of affecting overworld areas) is a good idea, but one that I don't see them doing.

Shining Goodra said:
Drohn said:

Have the seasons update live off of the 3DS timer.
I can see your reasoning and used to think the same before I really thought about it more. I think Pokémon World seasons are a better system than basing it on the seasons of the real world, since the seasons are different across the world. They would have to base it on a specific area in the real world, which wouldn't make much sense, since they're different worlds. Many areas in the real world don't have the same seasons, don't have seasons that last the same amount of time, and/or the seasons happen at other times in the year. It would be inconsistent and people would have to wait much longer for the next season.

This is more Castform-specific, but I always wondered why Castform has a form for every weather except sandstorm.

Seven is a Color said:
This is more Castform-specific, but I always wondered why Castform has a form for every weather except sandstorm.

Me and probably the staff at GF, after reading this:
abr.gif

Well done Sir! U_U

Yeah I think they will keep that pretty much the same. Umless they did or are doing some other type of weather changes. Also note some weather changes happen at night or day so I wonder if the Day/Night feature will be back since some Pokemon need that to evolve. They also evolve at certain times of the day or night as well so I wonder how that will go with the weather changes if any as well.:)

Seven is a Color said:

Maybe their logic at the time was that you only have 4 move slots and if that whoever going to battle with it will want to use all forms + Weather Ball.

Seasons were nice in BW but I don't feel like this feature belong to the Hoen region+ It is kind of annoying to turn on the 3ds then turn on the game wait for the title to show up then wait for the save title to show and then wait for the game to tell you what weather is now..

xxashxx said:
Yeah I think they will keep that pretty much the same. Umless they did or are doing some other type of weather changes. Also note some weather changes happen at night or day so I wonder if the Day/Night feature will be back since some Pokemon need that to evolve. They also evolve at certain times of the day or night as well so I wonder how that will go with the weather changes if any as well.:)

Since ORAS is a remake of RS, and RS didn't have night/day, I doubt the feature would be evident in ORAS.

bbninjas said:
xxashxx said:

Since ORAS is a remake of RS, and RS didn't have night/day, I doubt the feature would be evident in ORAS.

That will be horrible in so many levels. This is not even considered a feature to me it is just natural thing that needs to be in every game since gen 4 ( and until today I have no idea why they didn't have night/day in R/S when they already had night/day in G/S)

bbninjas said:
xxashxx said:

oct_p13_03_hyd.jpg

That would not make sense because Umbreon needs Night to evolve and Espeon needs day to evolve XD. So if they did not keep those features there would be no way except the old way which I don't remember how they evolved before and some Pokemon need Sunlight to evolve as well.:)

EDIT: We will have one messed up dex unless they are going to make it so we have to use X/Y before we transfer XD.:)

xxashxx said:
That would not make sense because Umbreon needs Night to evolve and Espeon needs day to evolve XD. So if they did not keep those features there would be no way except the old way which I don't remember how they evolved before and some Pokemon need Sunlight to evolve as well.:)

EDIT: We will have one messed up dex unless they are going to make it so we have to use X/Y before we transfer XD.:)

If I'm not mistaken, to evolve Eevee into Espeon or Umbreon, we had to keep an eye on the clock, so despite being always day in the overworld, going by the clock (I don't remember if there was other than the one in the player's room), there were nights. In LG/FR this wasn't the case and the Pokémon had to be traded to S/R/E, evolved here and then traded back.

The night/day cycle was hinted with a screenshot of a S. secret base showing that it was night outside and the fact that the bikes now have lights on it, unlike in the original games.

Oh man. so if they don't bring back these effects in OR/AS we will have to trade to X/Y evolve then trade back. I bet that was painfully annoying XD.:)

Back