Ruling Weakness and resistance

Golden Totodile

TCG/VGC Player - Puerto Rico
I have a question regarding Weakness and resistance, recently I was playing and a friend had a Dark Tyranitar (The Dark/Fighting one) and I had a Gengar Ex, he was going to attack and when the damage was going to be applied the game stopped, Gengar Ex has Weakness to Darkness but Resistance to fightning, We didn't knew how to apply the Damage and the game stopped. I would like to know how is Damage applied in a case like this where the defending pokemon has both Weakness and resistance to both types of the attacking pokemon.

Secretsmeargle

Aspiring Trainer
Hiya

Weakness is done first, and then resistance. So the attack is doubled, then that damge - 30, to get the total damage.

~Secretsmeargle

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Remember jayh272416 that rulebooks ONLY come in ThemeDecks. Most people dont buy themedecks since there is never usually anything good in them, therefore, not everyone would have a rulebook. The rules also change constantly so people have the right to ask here, that's what this board is for.

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Uh they would Never put Rulebooks with booster packs. 1st, the rulebooks are bigger than the booster packs are so they wouldnt fit inside. 2nd, they wouldnt have the time to fit rulebooks into hundreds of thousands of booster packs if they even fitted inside. 3rdly, they would have to demolish the Amazon Rainforest to have enough paper to make enough Rulebooks.

Themedecks arent as big sellers and Rulebooks go with them as they are starter kits, new people to the game would need to know how to play.

Secretsmeargle

Aspiring Trainer
lol, think of the poor people who buy boxes!! Rulebooks Galore!!

But yea. This forum is for asking questions that you dont know the answer for. Ideally, you should be reading a Rulebook or the Team Compendium before you post a question here, so we dont have to just Copy/Paste answers all the time.

Then again, if you did that, the TCG Questions forum would probably be almost empty!

~Secretsmeargle

Abhorsen

Offically retired
Yeah, I agree. Some of the questions asked here are simply in the Rulebook or Team Compendium. I dont mind posting a reply to a question which is in either of those but it would be easier if the person does a bit of research through the compendium and rulebook to see if their answer is there. The compendium is mostly erratas and difficult ruling questions while the Rulebook explains the basics of the game and the standard rules which everyone should know. The compendium is probably the best place to go for questions, then come here.

Does anyone have the link to the newest compendium? I have one but it's out of date and I dont think it includes the most recent set rulings like DS and UF...