RMT We Three Kings

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
First off, let me point out that I'm not exactly new to Ubers, despite this being my first Ubers RMT. I have built several teams, each better than it's predecessor. My last (and debatably most effective Ubers team), alas, died to a swift, tragic hard drive head crash a few months ago. Last week, I decided to start from scratch and build a new team with all the info I have gathered from over a two years of semi-casual play in competitive grade OU and Ubers, giving rise to this team. I hope you enjoy (and possibly learn something yourself if you're not familiar with the tier).

I now present to you:
We Three Kings
A new twist on old weather
492-sky.gif
384.gif
484.gif
598.gif
382.gif
302.gif

I know what you're thinking: "Here we go again, just another player using rain in ubers..."
While this is true, I actually focus very little on exploiting said rain (I'll leave it up to you to evaluate if this was the right choice). This team has laddered very well, only losing once via struggle recoil in a dual last-stand rest-talk war and once to extreme freeze hax (coupled with a fatal misprediction) against a hail team. I got about 3/4 of the way up 'official' Pokemon Online server's Ubers rankings before having to end my testing, but there may still be threats out there I am unaware of (hence this RMT). Let me start with the team origins, as best I can remember.
As usual, I avoided sets (like Wishbliss) that I can not legitimately obtain in-game (and, of course, names are 10 characters or less).

598.png
382.png

I began as I usually do, selecting a hazard setter. I don't really like Forretress, since I found Ferrothorn can cripple it with the set I will introduce later and I am rarely able to get of Rapid Spin at an effective time, anyway (most likely due to the form of my typical strategies). In conjunction with Ferro's primarily physically defensive nature and with special moves dominating the kings of the ubers tier, I figured I'd definitely need a great special wall that can take care of itself as well. For this role I selected my first King, the King of Ubers himself, Kyogre.

384.png
484.png
598.png
382.png

Knowing I won't get far without a little weather abuse and knowing Sun is fairly common in ubers too, I selected the textbook Groudon counter that can abuse rain too, if need be: Palkia. At this point, I noted that I had a decent foundation, but many walls could still be a problem. I selected Wall-breaker Rayquaza to try to fill this position since it could also act as a revenge killer and helped free up the other 2 slots on my team for more specialized mons.

492-sky.png
384.png
484.png
598.png
382.png
302.png

With the bulk of my team ready, I needed something to stop hazards and otherwise mess with the opponent's strategy. Cue entry, the second King: The King of Trolls, Sableye. With priority Taunt and access to plenty of annoying statuses, this stone-cold troublemaker easily made his way into the fold. Despite his annoying traits, he doesn't work well as a lead, or even anti-lead despite many status wielders and hazard setters appearing at the front of a party (when offensive leads weren't present to OHKO sableye). Ladies and gentlemen, behind door number 3 (6? or perhaps 1?), the King of Ubers Hax, Scarf Skymin. A strange choice? Maybe, but effective nonetheless, as I will reveal below.

492-sky.gif

Griffin (Shaymin-S) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

All hail the King of Ubers hax. This set is what finally let me see why Skymin really is Ubers material and definitely too OP for OU. With a choice scarf, Skymin can outspeed Deo-S by more than 20 points (80 if I used a Jolly nature) and OHKO non-sashed variants with a 60% chance to flinch those with a sash. On the other end of the spectrum, Deo-D is 3HKO'd and usually fails to switch due to the opponent being set on getting at least SR up. Even Mewtwo and Darkrai aren't safe since this set can survive bulky Mewtwo's Ice Beam, prevent Stalltwo from properly healing or flinging status, and 2HKO Darkrai, usually preventing Dark Void via flinch. Kyogre and Groudon are 1-2HKO'd by Seed Flare and in revenge killing scenarios, HP Ice deas with the plentiful dragons of Ubers. Earth Power covers many of the grounded fire and poison types I may encounter along the way as well (if I haven't already started on a flinch run with Air Slash). In most cases, Skymin weakens several foes, if not KOing them, as the foe attempts to counter it, making most of the opponent's team easier to finish off later with other mons like Palkia or Rayquaza.

384.gif

Smaug (Rayquaza) @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Have you ever had weather up that helped your team only to encounter that one foe that you wish you didn't have weather up to fight against? ,Well that's what this sky serpent is for. Functioning as revenge killer, revenge killer, and weather abuse nerfer, 'Smaug' here rarely stays in the bleachers for a whole game. It has it's best fun against the likes of Venusaur, coming in after the sleep clause is triggered and nerfing both Growth and Chlorophyll simultaneously, just in time to OHKO if the foe tries to chance it rather than switch next turn. Even Blaziken runs in fear as it loses it's sun boost leaving no super-effective or even pseudo-effective moves to strike at this serpent with. If the foe doesn't stick around long enough to meagerly attempt to defy the Sky Warrior's onslaught, the switch-in is generally easy to predict and counter, seeing as Dragon and Ice moves are the most common responses (and these are often on choiced mons). Theoretically, I could use V-create over Fire Blast, but I prefer to not have two moves with stat drops on one pokemon (and I'm also partially using Rayquaza here for it's speed).

484.gif

Leviathan (Palkia) @ Lustrous Orb
Trait: Pressure
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

Behold! The terror of land, sea, and air. This is my primary weather counter, as it is able to take advantage of both Rain and Sun, outspeeding (and usually OHKOing) the summoner. Sand poses little threat as well since, few abusers can withstand Palkia's STABs and the SDef boost Ttar gets from sand doesn't help much against the ruler of space's wrath. using a Lustrous Orb, I can easily (and quite often) fake a choice set, scoring an easy KO on (one of?) the foe's steel type(s) later on, usually paving the way for a win.

598.gif

GrnKnight (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 184 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

This is a fairly standard set, but I slightly increased the attack EVs to allow me to KO Rest Talk Giratina-O rather than simply stalling until this set dies and the foe sweeps with a +6 Dragon Pulse. This set can also kill most Forretress sets within 4-6 turns, meaning they will usually think twice before trying for a full set of hazards. Thunder Wave stops most 'dancers' cold and Leech Seed provides extra healing, making ferro that much harder to take down. Stealth Rock is a must on any Ubers team and is more important than spikes since so many pokemon levitate or fly in Ubers (and SR seriously maims many sun mons like Reshiram, Kyurem-W, and especially Ho-oh) along with the handy effect of breaking Sturdy
and sashes (not to mention Multiscale).
382.gif

Rule&Rain (Kyogre) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Aside from the obvious role as weather setter, Kyogre here acts as a bulky shuffler, racking up hazard damage while dishing out a few powerful rain boosted blows, possibly spreading burn. Since survivability is key in any weather war, a Rest Talk set is highly efficient. Everyone seems to be paranoid about this oceanic tank, so they often become predictable when switching in counters, giving me an easier time scouting and eliminating their best chances of being rid of rain. I don't use this as a lead for several reasons, most notably many other teams use weather inducers as leads, so this makes it easier to kill their weather, and this set works best after hazards are up, meaning this is more of a mid-to-late game mon. I don't abuse rain much, so my strategy usually doesn't suffer too badly.

302.gif

CourtJestr (Sableye) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Here he is, ladies and gents, the king of trolls in all his glory. This set mainly focuses on burn-stall with taunt to prevent setup and hazards. With Burn's side effect of halving physical attack, Sableye's physical bulk is effectively doubled, helping it tank Outrages, where applicable. One may ask "Why Foul Play since burn halves the opponents attack, which is used for damage calculation with that move?" In other tiers, this could be a problem, and in ubers, Special attackers abound, so it really does make little sense on the surface, but rest assured this move actually works quite nicely. While many Ubers are used for their special attack, many still have gargantuan attack stats, which (even when halved by burn) can deal serious damage. With Sableye's pathetic offensive stats, and plenty of psychic types in the tier, Foul Play actually does more damage to most foes than Dark Pulse, the next possible STAB, or Night Shade/Seismic Toss (which, while reliable, rarely do more than 33% damage in ubers thanks to the high HP stats that fill the tier). Additionally Fire types are entirely viable in ubers and are, of course, immune to burn. Most fire types seen in Ubers (aside from Blaziken and Heatran) have high enough attack stats to take massive damage from Foul Play. When consideration to stealth Rock and Rain, they rarely can take a Foul Play from Sableye and stick around long enough to do much other damage. Sableye also has little trouble with Blaziken in the rain since it can prevent SD with Taunt then wear it down with Foul Play and the recoil from Flare Blitz as Sableye spams recover as needed.

Major threats:

Alas, I have not been able to identify many major threats yet since the only things that swept early versions of this team were pokemon I foolishly let set up. There HAS to be something I have overlooked since no team is perfect, much less one of my teams seeing as I have no experience from competitive play in earlier gens. I definitely will add any notable threats if I find any or if some are pointed out.

I do notice I have some trouble if the oponent uses Kyogre, Dialga, and Palkia all on the same team. The biggest threat of the bunch would be Dialga, but I can deal with that bugger if it's alone. With all 3 on the opposing team, My best shot is the 2HKO with Shaymin's Earth Power, but this is risky as Shaymin is also 2HKO'd by Dialga's Thunder and Fire Blast in rain and Earth Power does trivial damage to the other two. I am unable to switch Saymin directly in on any attacks except the semi-common EQ.

Shaymin (Shaymin-S) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)