Help Ways to Counter Flash Ray in Volcanion Deck?

VillagerHoss

Pokemon Connoisseur, TCG Player and Collector
I have been experimenting with Pyroar quite a bit, but I would like to see if we can brainstorm ways to actually work against that effect without adding another Pokémon Ranger or Lysandre to the average Volcanion deck. Any suggestions?

Tapu Lele to get Pokemon Ranger or Lysander from the deck
VS Seeker to get Pokemon Ranger or Lysander from the discard pile

Consider incorporating Turtonator GX (GUR) into your deck as a potential "wall."

That's a really good point.

A single copy of Turtonator-GX will probably fit into everyone's Volcanion decks now as it gives the deck another way to accelerate Energy and also a GX attack, which was previously missing. I hadn't thought it would be another workaround Vs Jolteon-EX, but you're right - unless the opponent has more than one Jolteon-EX set up, you should win the Shell Trap Vs Flash Ray race.

Between Pokemon Ranger, Turtonator-GX, Escape Rope and Lysandre, you'll have plenty of outs to Flash Ray.

Pokemon Ranger already works well in Volcanion decks as a way to let the same Volcanion-EX attack twice in a row w/o benching him. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra, or discard one so that you can VS Seeker it later when you need it against Flash Ray attacks.

I have been thinking about Turtonator but I thought the 8-dmage counters with the Shell Trap would be prevented. And so once again I have shown my ignorance of the technical difference between doing damage and placing damage counters. Thanks for your suggestions!

Back