Was BW the Worst Season?

RE: Why was BW so bad?

TheEXcollector said:
The best of BW that made the whole saga enjoyable for me was: OSHAWOTT!!! He was very cool, awesome, cute and funny.

I will agree with this. I really liked Oshawott in BW. He felt like the Pokemon version of Brock whenever he fell in love with another Pokemon like Meloetta and that female Oshawott. He was overused but in a good way as he was enjoyable and adorable. Not to mention I absolutely love the way he uses Hydro Pump. It looks like he's waterbending! (Any Avatar or Legend of Korra fans out there will know what I'm talking about.)

However, even though Ash has a record of never evolving any of his Water-types, it would have been awesome to see Oshawott evolve, at least into a Dewott. I guess he was one of those Pokemon that was too cute to evolve, like Piplup and Axew.

Don't forget Pikachu. PIKACHU IS SO ADORABLE! And Snivy made me really rethink my BW game, and since then I have loved Attracting people over to my Snivy.

SkyeVictini said:
However, even though Ash has a record of never evolving any of his Water-types, it would have been awesome to see Oshawott evolve, at least into a Dewott. I guess he was one of those Pokemon that was too cute to evolve, like Piplup and Axew.

Kingler says hi.

Piplup is NOT cute, it's just a brat that refuses to evolve because it wants to stay forever young with Dawn, even though Dawn WILL grow up, meaning she'll either outgrow Piplup, or Piplup will have to learn that it's OK to grow up. (Which it won't, because it's such a huge brat).

Yeah, Piplup was a real brat, I never liked him. He was another reason why I didm´t like the DP saga. I was always cheering for Oshawott when he and Piplup competed for Meloetta´s attention.

I didn't like how they made Piplup and Oshawott the same size, even though their in-game heights show Piplup as smaller, heck, they even keep everything to scale in the PPWii games. Piplup should really be looking up at Oshawott.

To clarify, I never said that I thought Piplup was cute. I meant that the writers wanted to keep Piplup from evolving because THEY thought he was too cute. Its like the status quo to keep as few Pokemon from evolving as possible and that couldn't be clearer in BW. Just look at how many main Pokemon evolved during AG and DP and compare it to BW.

Let's see we have:
AG: Ash's Treecko, Snorunt, Phanpy and Taillow, May's Torchic and Wurmple and Brock's Mudkip and Lotad. (I know Phanpy evolved during Battle Frontier but it took place in Gen III so I'm counting it.)
DP: Ash's Starly, Turtwig, Chimchar, Gligar, and Cyndaquil, Dawn's Aipom and Swinub, and Brock's Bonsly and Happiny.
BW: Ash's Tepig, Pidove, Sewaddle and Roggenrola, Cilan's Dwebble.

(If I forgot any, kindly let me know.)

So we have 8 to 9 to 5. Not only did AG and DP beat out BW on the number of Pokemon that evolved, there were more Pokemon that evolved twice. Also in AG and DP, everyone in the group had at least 2 Pokemon evolve (except Max, of course). BW definitely had the fewest evolutions with Cilan only having one and Iris not getting any at all! (Well, we did get a flashback of when Excadrill evolved from a Drilbur but I'm not counting that because it was a flashback.)

To be fair, Iris had no evolutions on the cast simply because they gave her an overpowered Dragonite, and the rest of her team Axew/Excadrill/Emonga didn't change at all.

I felt like they could have done a lot more with Iris. A girl with a dragon backstory and who swung on vines could have been a lot more interesting. Instead the writers treat her like another Misty instead of expanding on her abilties.

Probably didn't help matters that Iris was so short-lived. With only 3 years on the show she was the anime's shortest lived female companion, with the least amount of episodes and the least amount of time.

precita said:
To be fair, Iris had no evolutions on the cast simply because they gave her an overpowered Dragonite, and the rest of her team Axew/Excadrill/Emonga didn't change at all.

I felt like they could have done a lot more with Iris. A girl with a dragon backstory and who swung on vines could have been a lot more interesting. Instead the writers treat her like another Misty instead of expanding on her abilties.

Probably didn't help matters that Iris was so short-lived. With only 3 years on the show she was the anime's shortest lived female companion, with the least amount of episodes and the least amount of time.

So true. Even though Iris was the most fleshed out character in BW imo, she could have been handled a lot better. Even though she has a pretty good backstory, I feel like she hasn't made much progress of her goal of being a dragon master other than sort of taming Dragonite, if you want to call it that.

But yeah, I have a feeling that if BW lasted longer, Iris would have been handled better. That's another reason BW wasn't as good as other sagas: it was rushed.
Actually, no. They had more than enough room for some good complex stories in BW, like with the Team Plasma arc. That was the highlight of the series for me. It had good action, suspense and not to mention N was awesome.

SV, they could of made Delora Island adventures into an amazing arc, where Iris evolves Axew, we get the PWT (Each GL type is on a different island), see more of Ash's older Pokémon ect... but no. It was just a really bad filler Saga and a terrible end to the series. You could really tell they didn't care by that point and just wanted XY to be released, so they could move on.

Blob55 said:
SV, they could of made Delora Island adventures into an amazing arc, where Iris evolves Axew, we get the PWT (Each GL type is on a different island), see more of Ash's older Pokémon ect... but no. It was just a really bad filler Saga and a terrible end to the series. You could really tell they didn't care by that point and just wanted XY to be released, so they could move on.

I know, right? Decolore was nothing but boring filler and a dull end to BW. Not to mention it felt like it went on forever. How long was it again?

*One search later*

20 episodes. Yeah. We got 20 episodes with nothing happening!
The possibilities for good stories there were infinite, but what did we get? Probably the most forgettable arc in Pokemon anime history. Every episode in that saga was unnecessary and had nothing important to add to the story. Unless you count meeting Alexa and Clair, but even they weren't very important. We would have seen Alexa in XY no matter what anyway.

Imo, BW should have ended at the Team Plasma arc and they should have just taken a plane to Kanto. That way it would have ended on a high note instead of being run into the ground (better yet, the sea) for almost an entire season.
On the other hand we would have gotten a massive hiatus, but think about it. Would you rather have a hiatus on episodes until XY or 20 episodes of filler?

anethantothepast said:
Why does everyone hate BW? I love it.

As you can see by reading the other posts in this thread, people have already been posting the reasons why they disliked BW as compared to other seasons. Feel free to join in on the discussion by posting why you disagree with some of the reason, or share your thoughts on why you enjoyed BW so much. :)

I don't understand what the point of that filler arc was.

At least both Orange Islands and Battle Frontier had things happening in them. Ash evolved or caught new pokemon, he won both championships, plus you had May's Contests in BF.

The filler arc in BW was completely meaningless.

It's hard to begin, BW was a travesty. That's all I can say I watched the religiously when I was little and if I missed a episode on Saturday I was hot! But I couldn't get into the show but after the sewaddle capture I lost interest. He actually forgot what happens what you catch a extra pokemon and you already have 6 WTF? Team Plasma didn't even appear (earthquake I know very sorry) then I hear the league was rushed and atrocious, my friends told me not to see it but is it true ash lost to a person who had brung only 5 pokemon? And Zekrom didn't even show? He just trolled Pikachu d*ck move, Zekrom d*ck move. Comments and reviews said team plasma had shown up after 100 episodes and N too and that arc was pointless and dry. Someone made a comment that made so much sense "Every episode in BW was nothing more than a uninteresting filler leading up to X and Y".

The characters were so stale and done a million times over in countless other shows, comics, mangas etcetera. The only people with any grace and civility to me were Bianca and Snivy and that's it. That Oshawott wanted to be Chikorita/Bayleef so bad it was sick, at least Bayleef could back it up and she was fearless Oshawott was a coward after Corphish all water types Ash ever caught annoyed me to no end poor palpitoad had to fight to get screentime he's okay though. Iris was a annoying hypocrite and that Dragonite actually made not like Dragonite as a whole anymore he is insecure to no end. The moves were so weak and generic most of the same type looked exactly the same. I did watch the near end but that was because Alexa and her pokemon were there and I was hyped for X and Y. Ash de-volved so much I was indifferent to him at this point, there were only two noteworthy battles in the entire series were Roxie vs Ash And Charizard vs Dragonite and Charizard Tony Soprano curb-stomped Dragonite lololololol!

I actually started watching the series again cause X and Y is amazing they got the moves looking right and the characters are different and a breath of fresh air that was desperately needed. In short the best episode was the last one. P.S Froakie Rulez Oshawhat Suxxxxxxxx!

SuchADamnLady369 said:
He actually forgot what happens what you catch a extra pokemon and you already have 6 WTF?

Really? I guess it had been a while since Ash had a full team of 6, then caught another one, but it's still stupid.

then I hear the league was rushed and atrocious, my friends told me not to see it but is it true ash lost to a person who had brung only 5 pokemon?

Yep. You forgot how bad his rival was this series.

Someone made a comment that made so much sense "Every episode in BW was nothing more than a uninteresting filler leading up to X and Y".

Not really. The only part of BW that was just filler leading up to XY, was the Delora Islands arc.

That Oshawott wanted to be Chikorita/Bayleef so bad it was sick, at least Bayleef could back it up and she was fearless Oshawott was a coward after Corphish all water types Ash ever caught annoyed me to no end

Oshawott reminds me more of Totodile, as they're both immature, but Totodile actually took responsibility and is seen more as a rival to Gible. Aipom was more like Chikorita, because they both had a crush on Ash.

poor palpitoad had to fight to get screentime he's okay though.

I agree. I think Palpitoad only won one or two battles and in the fight against Roxie, he didn't even land a hit on (I think) Garbodor.

The moves were so weak and generic most of the same type looked exactly the same.

Why did Ash's Charizard even learn Slash and Dragon Tail? Dragon Pulse/Dragon Rush/Outrage, Flamethrower/Heat Wave, Earthquake and Air Slash/Roost would have been better.

Because phazing is awesome and Ash is gonna get Mega Charizard X next Gen, so it needs the physical movepool.

On the topic at hand, I didn't really watch much of the series (like, 20 episodes?) and those I watched just seemed poor. Iris and Cilan in particular ruined it for me. Their catchphrases were ridiculous and on top of that they kept repeating them, which literally damaged my nerve system. Ash was just as immature as always (I guess being 17 shows eventually, you don't like things you used to) and the storyline... meh. The rival killed it completely, perhaps the worst I've seen (after watching Paul, who I kinda liked, it was a disappointment). Overall, the only thing I liked was Team Rocket, it was slightly better than other seasons. I dunno if it gets better in later episodes I never watched, but judging from what I read here, I'd guess not.

Take away the episodes that really had no plot significance, and the series wasn't TERRIBLE. The excessive use of pointless fillers, the lack of Team Plasma till the end of the series, and the lack of evolutions to Ash, Cilan, OR Iris's Pokemon are what really made it bad to me. Fix those problems adn it would've been ok at best in my opinion.

Also the characters could've at least had some development and not just kept the exact same personality throughout the series. They seemed almost like robots to me, pre programmed to say and do all the same things over and over.

I didn't dislike BW, to be honest I have low expectations for kids shows because of who they're intended for. I do agree that Iris wasn't as fleshed out as she could have been. I wanted her to get another dragon type or two. I understand why they didn't evolve Axew but getting a Deino and having it evolve would have been awesome. Maybe another dragon would have been cool too. Cilan was kind of annoying, I admit. But really was his 'evaluation time' really any different than Brock falling in love with just about every girl they met and then being rebuffed by Misty, Max, or Croagunk? I actually laughed whenever Iris called Ash a little kid, though I do think they really messed him up that gen, like mentioned before facing Elesa with only ONE pokemon...even as an amateur in the first season facing Brock he had three Pokemon. Trip was annoying, but then again so was Paul and Gary in their own special ways. That's why they're rivals. I didn't have a problem with Dragonite, yeah he had attitude problems but does anyone else remember Charizard disobeying Ash for the longest of time? Or Mamoswine doing the same thing as Charizard? Snivy was kind of stuck up, at least IMO. It''s no different in its own way from Oshowatt. The fact is though that every series, and not just Pokemon though it has to be one of the worst, has filler episodes that are anything from just pointless to actually very annoying.

And speaking of Ash's Pokemon...yeah, REALLY messed up. The only final evolutions he got was Krookodile, Leavanny and Unfezant (and to be fair all the bird pokemon evolved to their final forms, except Noctowl who was that way from the start). Seriously, why the heck couldn't Palpitoad (who was CAUGHT that way) and Boldore evolved to their final forms? And except for Quilava (and the unable to evolve Torkoal) all of Ash's fire types had fully evolved before then, so why not Pignite? And though slightly off here; Gible, what's the point? He's so far from evolving (without speed evolving) that they'll never feature Mega Garchomp in that way, as I suspect will happen with Ash's Charizard. And Scraggy didn't get much time either, I would have loved to see Ash get a Scafty.

I want to know why Ash never gets evolved water Pokemon, Kingler not withstanding. I mean Squirtle (future mega evolution), Totodile, Corphish (would have loved to see him evolve) Buizel (also would have been neat) Oshowatt (I know why they didn't do it here, I just don't agree). Even Brock got a Marshtomp and Ludicolo. I hope that Froake fully evolves. Part of me wishes that all of Ash's Pokemon (sans Pikachu) would fully evolve if possible but then again with his habit of leaving all of them behind it's almost kind of pointless.

I don't have much judgment on XY or Serena, Bonnie and Clemont yet. I do kind of wish that Ash would get more Pokemon though. I don't see it happening but if they want to have a big focus on mega Pokemon I think they should have May guest star. I mean, she has three Pokemon that can mega evolve (well, two but by this time Wartortle could have evolved to Blastoise), It's kind of interesting to contrast with Ash who has two that can mega evolve and one that could if it EVER evolved (already discussed above). .

Whether you cared about Cilan or not, Brock definitely had no reason to be in BW, because he had no reason to be in DP before that either. Brock's departure was a long-time coming in the series so any male replacement for him was good enough. Brock was tolerable up through the end of AG but that's about it. This is also why Brock didn't return for XY, the writers are well aware they ran his character into the ground.

As for Iris, she was hit or miss. Some people might have liked her because she was a change of pace from the other girls, others found her redundant and forgettable. I definitely don't think Iris made much impact as a female lead, certainly not as much as Misty, May and Dawn did before her. Sometimes I even forget that Iris was an actual, "female lead" for this show because I feel like Dawn was the last main girl before Serena.

I didn't think BW was so bad. All I can say is, yeah, it could have been better, but I didn't think it was terrible. Besides, Rival Destinies had an a catchy opening. The best pokemon opening about friendship I've heard since Galactic Battles.

Back