Ruling Walrein's Ice Bind

master1116

~The Real Fire Pokemon Trainer~ (I wish)
Walrein L.53 – Water – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Sealeo

Poke-Power: Freeze Up
You can use this power once during your turn, when you play Walrein from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon. Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, choose 1 of your opponent’s Active Pokemon and discard that Pokemon and all cards attached to it (it doesn’t count as a Knocked Out Pokemon).

[W][W][C] Ice Bind: 70 damage. Unless your opponent discards 1 card from his or her hand, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Steel (+30)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

If Walrein uses Ice bind and KO's the defending pokemon, does your opponent discard a card still?

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It means if your opponent discards a card from his/her hand then the foe Pokemon becomes paralyzed but the attack does 70 either way. It is sort of like thunderbolt or thunder in the Pokemon games but only your opponent has the choice of paralyzing his or her self.:)

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
On some Pokemon with HP that is higher than 70 HP which most of th rares are then this would be a great attack to use but your opponent has the option of paralyzing him/her self by choosing to discard a card into the discard pile. Some attack and Pokepowers can be very confusing at first. Submission is a good example because you have to minus damage in some way I don't remember how it works exactly but it took me a long time before I did understand the attack.:)

master1116

~The Real Fire Pokemon Trainer~ (I wish)
Psychic Pokemon Master said:
There's no point your opponent do so since his or her Active Pokemon is KO...

if i'm battling against someone playing Infercatty, they'll discard Fire energy. so i'll end up helping them. oh well

Lieutenant Houndoom

Back from the...
Well... If I recall correctly, checking that if the defending Pokémon is KO'd takes place before other effects in the attack. So I suppose the effect doesn't work.

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
If the opponent has a Pokemon like Charizard for example and has to discard any energy card then the Pokemon will be paralyzed This is a great attack for attacks that discard energy because it means paralyzed every time.:)

Rhincodon Typus

O herro preesh
xxashxx said:
If the opponent has a Pokemon like Charizard for example and has to discard any energy card then the Pokemon will be paralyzed This is a great attack for attacks that discard energy because it means paralyzed every time.:)

You've got it wrong... If they discard outside of the attack's effect, they're not paralyzed. Also, they're paralyzed if they DON'T discard. If they DO discard, they don't get paralyzed. As for Inferncatty, I believe they could discard if they wanted to...

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
It is not affected by attack discards? That stinks because if it worked that way it would be a great card to use.:)

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
Lieutenant Houndoom said:
Dude, I don't even know where you got that from, not to mention I don't know what that meant...

The poster before my last post said that the attack does not work by using the paralyze part as an advantage to attack that have to discard energy and I don't see why that part of the attack won't work when the opponent uses an attack that discards cards for the paralyzed part of the attack to take effect.:)

Lieutenant Houndoom

Back from the...
Still don't know what're you're going on about... if he discards, he's not Paralyzed. If he doesn't, he is. If he's KO'd, it's not possible to discard as the Defeding Pokémon is there to be Paralyzed.

Please clarify your statements with commas and other forms of grammar, please...

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
For Example. If he had a Charizard and his attacks always discard energy. Doesn't the attack paralyze the foe if one of Charizard's fire attacks were used even though the attack does 70 and Charizard has full HP? Charizard has 130 HP and Fire Blast discards energy every time. If Charizard has full HP Doesn't the attack paralyze Charizard if the attack Ice bind is used? Charizard should have 60 HP and if Blast burn is used next turn then the effect of paralyze takes effect right?:)

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
If it were on a Pokemon with the same type of attacks meaning having to discard energy and has high HP would it work even with the Pokemon not being knocked out yet?:)

Lieutenant Houndoom

Back from the...
The way it goes is
Draw phase
Main phase
Attack phase...Paralyze stops it here.
Call attack
(Holon Circle stops it here)
Do prequistiles for attack to work
Do damage
Do whatever you need to do to figure damage
Check remaining HP-stop if KO
Do post-damage effects

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member
If the foe has HP remaining and the foe uses and attack that discards energy. Does the foe become paralyzed when the attack Ice Bind has been used on a full HP count? It should paralyze when an attack is used to discard energy. It is confusing for me because I am trying to figure out if the attack paralyzes the foe when they attack with an attack that discard energy cards. I don't see why it won't work.:) EDIT It say if your opponent DOESN'T DISCARD a card then the foe is paralyzed. That explains that one. Thanks for your help.:)

Lieutenant Houndoom

Back from the...
They either discard a card from their hand, or they don't. Nothing to do with the Defending Pokémon. Paralysis occurs at your turn, they can't do anything about it. They discard within your turn, not when they want to.