Event Wailord EX Playable!?

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
At this year's US National tournament, Wailord-EX makes a surprise appearance and even gets second place in the entire event!
Wailord-EX
Wailord-EX Decklist (3rd list from the top)
What does this mean for Worlds? Is this just a gimmicky deck that only works once, or is it a legitimate contender? How do you counter/play against this deck?
Comment you opinions on the deck below!

Wailord is a very short trend, with most key cards rotating, as well as lots of viable grass decks coming out it wont be nearly as effective. Was fun to watch nonetheless.

I think Wailord worked for two reasons: One, it was a surprise. Two, no one knew how to play against it. One of the biggest things that makes a rogue deck successful is that no one knows how to play against it.

Could somebody explain to me how the Swisd rounds work at Nationals? Because I'm not seeing how a person could deck themselves twice in 50 minutes.

Could somebody explain to me how the Swisd rounds work at Nationals? Because I'm not seeing how a person could deck themselves twice in 50 minutes.
The point was that because the deck took so long to play against, there wouldn't even be a finished round 2, which even happened in the Worlds finals. People figured out the strategy after playing against it once...but they never had a second time to play against it.

Wailord is a very short trend, with most key cards rotating, as well as lots of viable grass decks coming out it wont be nearly as effective. Was fun to watch nonetheless.

Exactly. I'm still expecting it to be popular and if you don't at least try a few games against it you'll come into problems in Swiss, but I don't expect it in Top Cut.

It is also dead after the rotation. Suicune gone (which is pretty useful but maybe not 100% required), Max Potion, the list goes on.

And Grass is big next rotation. Wailord doesn't looks so bulky when you only need to hit 130/120 with poison with weakness

The point was that because the deck took so long to play against, there wouldn't even be a finished round 2, which even happened in the Worlds finals. People figured out the strategy after playing against it once...but they never had a second time to play against it.
Didn't address my question about Swiss, but I'm assuming that the format is best of three, whoever wins the first game wins the round if the clock runs out, ala M:tG? Sorry, I've played so many variants of tiebreakers (including double loss) that I wasn't sure.

Didn't address my question about Swiss, but I'm assuming that the format is best of three, whoever wins the first game wins the round if the clock runs out, ala M:tG? Sorry, I've played so many variants of tiebreakers (including double loss) that I wasn't sure.
Its BO3, 50 minutes +3. If the game stops in the middle of game 2, whoever won game 1 wins. Unless if in Top Cut, where its 75 +3, and if the game stops in the middle of game 2, whoever won game 1 wins...UNLESS if someone has taken 4 or more prizes.

Breaks the worlds format.
How do you deal with a 270 hp pokemon + rough seas with maximum outs to recovery?

Run a Bunnelby and mill them while recovering useful stuff in other matchups.
When I was watching the finals, I was thinking about how Bunnelby would hard counter this deck. In addition to milling, it can prevent itself being milled. It'd be a really boring match, but like you said, even running a one-of in your deck would ensure victory against Wailord should you ever face it.

Breaks the worlds format.
How do you deal with a 270 hp pokemon + rough seas with maximum outs to recovery?
IMO, it not that hard, given you are running the right deck.

For example, I happen to play against a Wailord deck in a side event tournament at Nats. I was running my Seismitoad-Manectric-Garbodor deck and was able to run my opponent out of recovery resources between my Grenade Hammer and Assault Laser attacks onslaught.

Patience and keeping that last N till near the game's end helped too.

Back