• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion-EX/Flareon-EX/Turtonator-GX

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys, currently working on a deck for Wisconsin Regionals. I'm currently testing this deck, would appreciate any general criticisms you have.
Pokémon
3 Volcanion (Steam Siege)
4 Volcanion-EX
2 Flareon-EX
1 Turtonator-GX
1 Shaymin-EX (Roaring Skies)

Trainers
3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Olympia
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokémon Ranger
1 Skyla
1 Fisherman
3 Trainers Mail
2 Ultra Ball
3 Nest Ball
1 Field Blower
1 Escape Rope
3 Max Elixir
2 Fighting Fury Belt
3 VS Seeker
1 Super Rod
3 Float Stone
1 Switch
2 Scorched Earth
Energy
11 Fire Energy

Some decisions:
3 VS Seeker: Limits the power of GRI Garbodor (also only have three atm lol).
3 Max Elixir: Simply not enough space with the current list, working on getting a fourth in case I get space.
1 Hex Maniac: Helps against certain matchups, like Vileplume variants (basically one-shotting everything anyways, but gets rid of Item Lock) and also gets rid of Araquanid's Ability (not that that will see too much play).
1 Pokémon Ranger: Same with Hex Maniac, helps against stuff like Jolteon-EX, which I cannot hit since the deck is entirely Basic Pokémon.
1 Olympia/1 Switch/1 Escape Rope/3 Float Stone: Switching, in my opinion, is very important in this deck, and with heavy retreat cards such as Volcanion-EX and Turtonator-EX, you wont want to retreat too much. With certain cards you could retreat in order to fuel Volcanion's Power Heater, but in the case of Volcanion-EX especially, easy switching is mandatory.
2 Fighting Fury Belt: Sometimes you want to have more HP and damage than easy retreat, with cards like Flareon-EX, and Fighting Fury Belt grants that. You also get synergy with Field Blower in the sense that you can discard one of your tools in order to attach another, whether it is Fighting Fury Belt into Float Stone or vise-versa.
3 Nest Ball/2 Ultra Ball: Since the deck is entirely Basic Pokémon, Nest Ball works great with getting cards onto the field. I play two Ultra Ball as well so we can discard Fire Energies for Volcanion's Power Heater a little more often (which I am sort of having a hard time getting them there). We could also grab a Shaymin-EX with the Ultra Balls in order to use Set Up for more cards (since it has to be played from your hand in order to work).
1 Turtonator-GX: I feel only one Turtonator-GX is needed, just because other cards can do it's job a little better. However, it is very useful to set up cards like Flareon-EX with its Nitro Tank GX. You can use it to get 5 Fire Energies onto the field, lets say Flareon-EX, then next turn you use Flareon-EX's Ability to get the Energy off of Turtonator-GX and onto Flareon-EX, then retreat and now you're hitting for 170 damage (assuming you don't have Steam Up, Fighting Fury Belt, or another Energy attach at your access).
2 Flareon-EX: Flareon-EX has a handy Ability that lets you move a Fire Energy from one of your Pokémon onto it. This allows for high damage output at times when you don't want to put your Volcanion-EX in the active in order to preserve Steam Ups. Like I said earlier with Turtonator-GX, Nitro Tank GX can charge Flareon-EX's attack up to 150 and then 170 if you use it's Ability next turn. However, for 3 Fire Energy, Volcanion-EX hits for more, but in times where whether you need to preserve your Volcanion-EX or have no easy switch outs at your access, Flareon-EX is always a nice backup plan.

Thanks for reading,
~SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Nice list.

I too am revising my Volcanion EX deck list to incorporate some of the new GUR cards. I agree with many of your card comments too. And, at this point, it's hard to know if one should play 1+ Field Blower, Eco Arm (to recover discarded Tools), 4+ Tools, etc... And without having a major US tournament in which GUR cards were played, the Madison tournament will be somewhat of a big "unknown" relative to "the" proper mix (i.e., type and respective counts) of Trainer cards, IMO.

However, I do plan to run Altar of the Sunne (removes Weakness for R-type Pokemon) and Parallel City (removes unwanted/unneeded Pokemon from my bench or disrupts my opponent's bench) instead of Scorched Earth.

Currently, I'm testing 2 Tunatonator GX, 1 Tauros GX, 1 Tapu Lele GX, and 1 Shaymin EX with the Volcanions. This particular Pokemon lineup has worked for me, thus far in testing. At this point, I am not a fan of Flareon EX in this deck any longer - just trying to reduce my dependencies on Abilities.

Further, if Garbodor is popular at that Regional tournament, you may want to re-consider your Trainer mix in order to mitigate the popular Trashalanche deck risk.

Soon, we'll (I will be playing there at Madison too) both have to pick our "poison..."

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts!
I was thinking of dropping at least one Flareon-EX just because it isn't all that consistent and helpful, plus I don't really have room. Scorched Earth helps me get Fire Energies into the discard, but I was thinking of having another stadium like Altar of the Sunne.
I also agree that Garbodor will be a tough thing to deal with, not just for this deck, but for many others, aside from maybe Item Locks (of course, because Vileplume must reign on... ugh...). Hopefully I can fix this up to help against the Garbodor matchup as well as some other shaky ones by the time Regionals roll over.
Best of luck to you as well! :)

Back