Virizion VS Elgyem: who's the new smeargle?

suicidalnuns

Aspiring Trainer
Obviously, with the rotation, we're losing out on some very valuable cards. Junk arm, PONT, Shaymin UL and of course Smeargle UD/CL. Smeargle was the ideal starter in nearly every deck after the release of skyarrow bridge, giving it free retreat and the ability to use 2 supporters in one turn, possibly more if you had multiple smeargles. But now we have a rotation coming up, and we need a new universal starting pokemon that can fit in almost any deck. The 2 pokemon I have noticed popping up are both from Noble Victories. Elgyem 55/101, and Virizion 13/101. Now, both of them have their Pros and Cons, and I would like to see what you, the forumers, prefer between these 2 Pokemon, and also posting about other pokemon you believe could be the next hopeful starting Pokemon.

First off is Elgyem 55. It has 60 HP, a {C} retreat cost, and is weak to {P}, which we'll get to in a minute. It's first attack, First Contact, allows you to put 2 basic pokemon from your deck onto your bench directly for just {C}. This is huge in the setup of not only stage 2 decks like ReshiBoar EX, but fast decks like Darkrai/Mewtwo that may have just gotten a rough start as well. At first glance, this card may seem infinately better than virizion, but there are other factors you need to consider. Firstly, this attack won't be helpful by turn 3. By then, you should have a full bench, and elgyem is just wasting an energy card staying active. Sure, you can retreat him, but unless you found some way to accelerate energy, you probably don't have any good attackers powered up yet. Also, his {P} weakness means he can be Donk'd by a DCE Mewtwo EX.

Then there's virizion 13(or 97)/101. It has 110 HP, a {C} retreat as well, and is weak to {R}. It's first attack, double draw, for {C} allows you to draw 2 cards. Now, if paired with a card like Cheren for example, this allows you to draw 1 card for your turn, 3 from Cheren, and 2 from double draw, which is 6! You can draw into almost an entire hand with Virizion! Now, this attack isn't as good in the beginning of the game as Elgyem's, but certainly it can be used late game if you need that one last card, or you just want to thin out your hand. It also has a resistance to {W}, which keeps it from being OHKO'd by Empoleon, a possible deck choice for BW-on, unless both players have a full bench and a pluspower is used.

Personally, I run 1 Elgyem and 1 Virizion in my ReshiBoar EX deck(That's where my examples came from, my current decks. :)) and it works fantastically. When I start with Elgyem and Virizion together, it seems to be an auto win. This is because ReshiBoar EX's main flaw is the slugishness of getting out your Emboar, and you may fall down in prizes. If you can guarantee you get down a turn 1 Tepig, then retreat into Virizion and keep drawing cards until you eventually hit Candy Emboar, it's hard to stop that deck.

I'll leave a link to my Deck Garage thread if you guys want to check out my deck, and possibly leave constructive criticisms on this thread and the other, that would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post in this sub-forum, so I do hope this analysis does go over well. Thank you for reading, and have a nice day. :)

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-reshiboar-ex-bw-on

Personally I'd go with no Elgyem and run Virizion instead, as Virizion has more HP and can KO Water types (if you run Prisim/Blend GPRD) and cn get KOs on slower decks. But honestly, I haven't seen either of these two in the BW-On decks I've seen. Try Emolga (Dragons Exalted (if it comes then)).

We don't need another Smeargle, and neither Elygem, Virizion, or Emolga can compare to Smeargle.

If you really want a starter, then it depends on what you're looking for. If you need a Basic searcher, stick with Emolga. If you crave some early drawpower, run Virizion. Considering that you're running Reshiboar, Emolga with a heavy Supporter line is probably your best bet.

Blui129 said:
Personally I'd go with no Elgyem and run Virizion instead, as Virizion has more HP and can KO Water types (if you run Prisim/Blend GPRD) and cn get KOs on slower decks. But honestly, I haven't seen either of these two in the BW-On decks I've seen. Try Emolga (Dragons Exalted (if it comes then)).

Personally, when I run virizion, it's put in a ReshiBoar EX deck, so the idea of a prism energy never came up because they can't be accelerated from your hand from Inferno Fandango. I was talking purely about their first attacks, but I do agree that virizion is another choice for an attacker that runs those kinds of energy. Also, I was talking about in our current format, but DRE will come out soon, and emolga is better than elgyem in virtually every way I will admit.

Neither will be the new Smeargle, as neither has a broken Power/Body/Ability that can start winning you the game from turn 1.

As for which to play, i'd say it entirely depends on the deck. If your deck has a heavy Supporter Engine then getting your Pokemon on the bench right at the start might be more important then extra draw. If your deck has few Supporters then drawing 2 cards each turn could greatly help you draw into those cards. If your deck is primarily basics then drawing extra cards would probably take priority over getting more Pokemon out. And, if your deck relies on Stage 2's then getting their pre-volutions on the bench should be your biggest concern.

I like Virizion 10x better. Then again, I'm planning on playing Darkrai/Hydreigon, so it helps vs. Terrakions. Since Blend energy is GFPD, I can use it's second attack, and still be able to move energy around.

suicidalnuns said:
Firstly, this attack won't be helpful by turn 3. By then, you should have a full bench, and elgyem is just wasting an energy card staying active. Sure, you can retreat him, but unless you found some way to accelerate energy, you probably don't have any good attackers powered up yet.
Skyarrow Bridge, Darkrai EX. That's assuming it hasn't been KO'd by T3
suicidalnuns said:
It's first attack, double draw, for {C} allows you to draw 2 cards. Now, if paired with a card like Cheren for example, this allows you to draw 1 card for your turn, 3 from Cheren, and 2 from double draw, which is 6! You can draw into almost an entire hand with it.
"Double Draw: Draw 2 cards" Lets not get carried away. Plus, if you were trying to draw into that new hand from zero, then you'd have to top deck the Cheren.

I think I'd dedicate those two slots to consistency. What made Smeargle good was it wasn't an attack; it was a power that could be used, and then Smeargle could free retreat to the Bench, and you could attack. Cleffa even at least had a shot at invulnerability.

Back