• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Vikavolt/Tapu Bulu GX

Shinypokemon006

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 12
  • 1 Tapu Lele GX (GUR)
  • 1 Shaymin EX
  • 2 Tapu Bulu GX (GUR)
  • 3 Grubbin (SUM)
  • 2 Charjabug (SUM)
  • 2 Vikavolt (SUM)
  • 1 Vikavolt GX (GUR)

Trainers: 36

Supporters:
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 N
  • 4 Prof. Sycamore
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Brock's Grit
  • 1 Hex Maniac
Items:
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Switch
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 2 Choice band
  • 2 Field Blower
Stadiums:
  • 1 Parallel City
  • 1 Forest of Giant Plants
Energy: 12
  • 6 Lightning Energy
  • 6 Grass Energy

Strategy:
The strategy of this deck is to evolve Grubbin to Vikavolt during your first three turns to use its ability Strong Charge. Strong charge lets you attach a grass and lightning energy from your deck to any of your pokemon. Because of the versatility of this ability the deck functions like a "box" deck and you just attach to and attack with the pokemon suited for the given match-up.

Pokémon Choices:
Vikavolt GX- has a nice spread GX attack that hits all your opponents benched Pokemon for 60 damage. Its second attack hits for 180 (210 with a choice band) and because of the non-gx Vikavolt's ability the discard is negligible. Also you already have grubbing and have to evolve to a Vikavolt so why not?

Tapu Bulu GX- Is a grass type attacker and because of its attack costs can be put down an d immediately go to work if you have a grass energy in your hand and a Vikavolt with Strong Charge on your bench (unless you are hex'd or they set up a Garbodor). taking KO's on unbelted ex's and weaker GX cards. Its GX is good hitting for 150 and healing all damage on it which can disrupt 2 KO's.

Tapu Lele GX- helps with consistency and has a similar attack to Lugia-EX.

Item Choices:

Energy Recycler: A lot of your mons discard energy for their attacks this card recycles some of that energy so it can be used again.

Choice Band: Choice band makes your attacks do 30 more damage to GX's and EX's and can be used by all of your attackers and sometimes even Shaymin if the need arises. I guess if could be switched out with FFB (Fighting fury band), but then it would be harder to OHKO your opponents GX Pokémon that you don't hit for weakness.

Field Blower: to take the tool card off of a pesky Garbodor or a FFbelted EX.
I'm Looking for ways to add another VS Seeker, make evolving Vikavolt second turn is more consistent and possibly changing some cards around for a smeargle with second coat. Also open to suggestions on possible stadium substitions.

Last edited:
Drop Lugia for Lele GX, it'll help you a lot especially if you need to grab a Skyla for Rare Candy (in addition to the X Ball-like attack). Brock's Grit may be a nice alternative way to recycle your energy back into the deck, along with some of your Pokemon.

Since Garbodor is a concern for decks like this too, you need Field Blower at one or two.

Thanks for the suggestion. Added a field blower and switched the Lugia EX. I don't know if I want to switch energy recycler for brock's grit though just because energy recycler can be gotten by Skyla and immediately used if you have too many energy in your discard and can't use vikavolt's ability.

Or, alternatively, you just use Brock as your supporter for the turn, instead of using Skyla for Energy Recycler. It costs you one less card, it's more versatile and it shuffles more targets back in. (6 Pokemon or Energy, instead of just 5 energy.)

Some suggestions from how I see it:

- You only have 59 cards, unless I'm miscounting somewhere, but I double-checked. 12 Pokemon, 10 Supporters, 21 Items, 3 Stadiums, 13 Energy = 59 cards total.

(+3rd VS Seeker = 60 cards)

- Your stadium lineup is very confusing. Chaos Tower does basically nothing for you and is easily Blowered away if it would actually be any sort of issue for anyone. Faded Town's not helping you reach the knockout on anything you couldn't already kill, as Bulu-GX/Vika-GX with Choice Bands can hit 210 to KO Mewtwo and Gardevoir, and both regular Vikavolt and the GX OHKO Mega Ray due to Lightning weakness. Silent Lab isn't all that helpful in a 1-count (especially not with Blower now here), and if you get it early, it hurts your own setup since it clunks your hand up if you want to drop Shaymin or Tapu Lele on the board. If you must play a stadium, maybe just a 1-of Parallel City to discard your Shaymin or a damaged Pokemon after your first or second turn, but it might be better to just rely on a second Field Blower for stadium control and free up the space for more useful things. Like that other extra VS Seeker you seem to be lacking, for example. For now though:

(-3 stadiums, +1 Parallel City, +2nd Field Blower, +4th VS Seeker)

- Pidgeot's damage output is not really enough in my eyes to justify keeping the snipe damage as an option, and overall, I don't think you have enough outright attackers in this deck, Pidgeot's more of a cutesy tech here that doesn't really do the job. If you want Tapu Bulu to feature, you need at least a second copy; this also makes the deck more consistent since it becomes easier to find and far less vulnerable to prizing. Also, if you're worried about T1 Vileplume, you can tech in a Wobbuffet and a Hex Maniac to give yourself a fighting chance to get set up. Tapu Lele for Hex Maniac going first also cripples some decks' setups, which is good for you as a slow setup deck. We'll make space for them in a sec.

(-1 Pidgeot-EX, +2nd Tapu Bulu-GX, +1 Wobbuffet GEN, +1 Hex Maniac) (62 cards)

- You really don't need the 2nd Energy Recycler, especially if you add Brock in. Keeping Super Rod is dandy for shuffling in an attacker and two energy on a whim, but one of the Recyclers can, I think, be safely swapped out for Brock. Also, you should be playing at least 2 Level Ball, or none at all. In light of the fact you need to find your Grubbins, let's bump that up.

(-1 Energy Recycler, +1 Brock's Grit, +2nd Level Ball) (63 cards)

- As opposed to playing two Skyla, you can play two Tapu Lele and make the lone Skyla (and the rest of your supporters) easier to find. The deck is slow to set up as a multiple-Stage 2 player, so the addition of an additional consistency Pokemon (that is also a functional attacker!) alongside the upped VS Seeker count will greatly aid that. Worst comes to worst, you've got a pretty good chance of finding your Rare Candies off N or Sycamore anyway. Speaking of which, you really don't need more than 2 N here, and that can be one of the cuts you make to fit the stuff from earlier. The other two cuts, in my opinion, would be the 3rd Trainers' Mail, which is more like a vague consistency card that you can't really fit with all the stuff that needs to go in here, and the floating lone Double Colorless, which you can't search for and can't recycle; it's probably better to streamline all the energy to function with Vikavolt in that sense.

(+2nd Tapu Lele-GX, -2nd Skyla, -3rd N, -3rd Trainers Mail, -1 DCE) (60 cards)

Thanks for commenting. I changed the deck according to a lot of your suggestions, but I was a little unsure on some of them. First off the Wobbuffet I just think the Tapu Lele into Hex Maniac would be sufficient for now. I added the second Field Blower, but also added a Forest of Giant Plants because I want to win the stadium war and having only 3 stadium/stadium discards isn't enough especially when most decks run 4 of a stadium at least. The lone DCE was for Tapu Lele if you went first just so you could possibly attack first turn or to immediately attack with Vikavolt once you evolved, however streamlining my energy would be better overall. I didn't take off the 3rd Trainers' Mail because it might help get a rare candy/Ultra ball out of your deck after a sycamore and help you second turn evolve to Vikavolt. Also any opinions on a 1 of wide lens for Vikavolt's Shaymin EX destroying GX attack?

Last edited:
I use this deck and i have to say that it is really damn good. But i dont really have lele or shaymin yet so i use lurantis instead and it works well. But, i have never got use of that vikavolt gx card, i feel like it consumes a bit to much energy even if you have that supporting vikavolt and energy recycler. Would be happy if anyone knew a "better" card to use ;)

I've seen both Drampa GX and Tapu Koko GX used instead of Vikavolt GX. The Tapu Koko promo is good as well for the flying flip attack.

Back