Video: Evolution of Pokemon Designs

Discussion in 'Creative Works' started by RemptonGames, Feb 20, 2020.

1. RemptonGames Aspiring Trainer
    RemptonGames

This video is the first in a series I am working on about the designs of Pokemon from different generations, and how designs have changed as time goes on. I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic - are there any points that you think I missed or got wrong? Is there anything you would like to see in future videos regarding later generations? And more generally, what do you think about Gen 1 designs, and what are your favorite generations from a design perspective?

Also, the forum made me choose a prefix, and I wasn't sure what to pick, because there wasn't a "video" option. But videos are creative work, right? If there is somewhere better for me to post this, let me know. Thanks!

Dravinator, Nyan and Ephemera like this.

2. RemptonGames Aspiring Trainer
    RemptonGames

Hey everybody, this is part 2 of my evolution of Pokemon series, and builds off of my previous post. In this part I look at how Gen 2 designs differ from Gen 1, and how it was influenced by culture and technology.

As always, I would love to hear your opinions on the topic. Were there any points that you disagree with, or any trends that I missed? Also, my next video will be on Generation 3, so if there are any design trends you want me to feature in that video let me know!

Moved here from new thread, in the future please keep the same series in the same thread! :) ~Vom

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2020
  3. FourteenAlmonds NTernetttt ERXploerer
    FourteenAlmonds

wh

whoah

Mods really have absolute power huh

4. chico Aspiring Trainer
    chico

WHAT? I just watched one of your videos the other day. Nice!

5. RemptonGames Aspiring Trainer
    RemptonGames

Well, I guess I'll post the new entry in this thread (even though the title only says Generation 1, so it might get confusing haha). Here is my video on Generation 3!

6. RemptonGames Aspiring Trainer
    RemptonGames

Part 4 of the series!

While the majority of the detail is in the video, here are a few of the main points.

Major themes: Legends and Mythology - This generation introduces the creation myths, has more legendary Pokemon than any other before it, and the starters are all legendary themed

Higher level of detail on average - Pokemon this generation tend to be more detailed, and have a higher number of colors

Common details include spikes and stripes

Common colors include grey and mid-tone blues, often with red and yellow accents. More muted pallet overall compared to Gen 3

7. RemptonGames Aspiring Trainer
    RemptonGames

In this fifth installment we will take a look at the design of Pokemon in Generation 5 - Black and White. As always, I examine the themes of this generation, as well as common design trends among these Pokemon to see how they have changed from previous generations.

Summary of some of the major trends:

Many Pokemon that fill similar roles to previous generations (particularly Gen 1)

Willingness to be a little weirder and goofier than most of the previous generations

Focus on diversity with the human characters - starters represent different cultures

Theme of opposites, truth vs ideals

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?