Discussion Viability of Kommo-o GX?

shadoworganoid

"Crimson Dance, Yugetsu!"
I REALLY wanted to post this in the deck garage section, but I'm wanting to ask about ideas for a deck, I don't actually have a deck list put together yet to seek feedback on....

Anyways, from all the talk about Guardians Rising, I haven't heard much hype for Kommo-o GX yet. I am going to assume it won't be a tier 1 GX to go after, and with a little luck, it won't be too expensive either.
Thoughts on that?

Also and more importantly, what would be some viable ideas for a deck around him? Is there even any other Kommo-o cards in the game yet that aren't the GX?

Unfortunately, he isn't very viable. Tapu Koko-GX also does 130 for one less energy and it's also a basic. Kommo-o does have 240HP, but it is too reliant on special energies for its attacks.
I'll try to make a deck for it since I pulled a full art at the prerelease, but I don't think it will do super well.

Kommo-o GX seems way too special energy reliant. DDE helps to take care of the high costs, but then the risk of enhanced hammers could severely hurt the card. Though I don't know how much enhanced hammer sees play, relying on a DDE + DCE, not to mention having to rare candy a Jangmo-o or slowly go Jangmo-o -> Hakamo-o -> Kommo-o GX could take a lot of turns, sitting in wait as it may just get enhance hammered in the meantime. And as Elray said before me, Tapu Koko-GX and many others do nearly the same amount of damage for three energy. Kommo-o GX's second attack does ignore enemy Active Pokemon's effects, but probably just isn't the best trade off. However, it's worth at least trying in my opinion, hopefully something nice can come out from it!

As of right now, Kommo-o GX is the only Kommo-o currently available in English. We might see a non-GX in the near future though.

Last edited:
I think Enhanced Hammer will see a little bit more play, given the popularity of Lycanroc-GX (this deck lives by hammers and dies by hammers) and Mega Ray.

Here's to hoping that Dragons get a nice type-specific trainer in the near future.

Back