RMT VGC17: Extreme Evoboost

tammika

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all!

I’m mainly a TCG player. My goal in VGC is to make top cuts here in Finland and thus receive prizes to help me finance my TCG. There are only a few players with knowledge of the meta here (and I’m not one of them). I chose Extreme Evoboost as my archetype, because it’s autopilotable and wins inexperienced players without much demands on the pilot. I freely admit that I have copied these Pokémon from a couple of sources. I tried to reverse-engineer the EV spreads (always a useful activity), but I may have missed some things. I went 26–19 in the February online IC with this archetype.

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Last Resort
- Return
- Baton Pass
- Protect

Eevee is the main lead of the team. With Extreme Evoboost, one gets +2 in every stat, and those stat changes are then Baton Passed/Psych Upped forward. Protect is staple in doubles. The last move is Return, which is the most powerful move Eevee gets, and it’s further boosted by Adaptability. It is used to deal chip damage/pick up KOs in the late game if Eevee is forced to re-enter the field. This EV spread is standard (afaik, at least) on an Evoboost Eevee.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Minimize
- After You

Clefairy provides redirection support with Follow Me, which lets Eevee live long enough to set up and pass its stat boosts on. Friend Guard really helps with double-target moves. Protect is staple in doubles. After You lets Clefairy’s partner move before most opponents in Trick Room, because Clefairy is very slow. If there is a free turn to Minimize, Clefairy's Follow Me attacks become even more threatening. The EV spread maximizes Clefairy’s bulk in tandem with Eviolite.

Tapu Lele @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 92 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Psych Up
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Lele is one of the attackers. Psychic is STAB and boosted by Psychic Terrain, while Dazzling Gleam is also STAB and hits both targets. Psych Up is there for the common situation when Clefairy gets KO’d T1 and something needs to replace it. Simply Psych Up the Baton Passing Eevee slot. Sitrus Berry aids with longevity.

The EV spread lets Tapu Lele survive a Poison Jab from Alolan Muk, while outspeeding neutral speed nature, 0 Spe EV Mimikyu and Togedemaru. 4 EVs in SpD, because 156 SpA and 160 SpA EVs yield the exact same stat at level 50.

Espeon @ Mind Plate
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 244 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Psych Up
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Espeon is another of the attackers. While quite frail, it basically ohkoes anything with Mind Plate boosted Stored Power with this EV investment after receiving Extreme Evoboost. Psych Up and Protect are self-explanatory, while Dazzling Gleam is a good double-target move. Magic Bounce makes Espeon immune to t.ex. Lilligant trying to induce sleep, or a Taunter.

The speed investment lets Espeon reach a speed tie with max speed Buzzwole, Vanilluxe, neutral nature max speed Krookodile and Bruxish as well as neutral nature zero investment Ribombee. The rest of EVs maximize (physical) bulk. 4 EVs in SpD, because 4 more EVs in HP/Def/SpA/Spe wouldn’t affect the stat at level 50.

Krookodile @ Figy Berry Ability: Moxie
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Trip
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Krookodile acts as a physical option. Power Trip ohkoes almost anything after Extreme Evoboost. Earthquake is for KOing Arcanine before it Snarls too much/Roars. Sludge Bomb is for Tapu Bulu. It is a guaranteed ohko, if the Tapu Bulu is 252/252/4/0/0/0. Protect is staple. Figy Berry is there to aid with longevity, and Moxie can rescue a game where you have to start spamming Earthquake without any boosts. (Here, I would like to hear comments on whether Intimidate would be better, and how it would possibly affect the EV spread.)

With 4 EVs in speed, Krookodile reaches a speed of 113, outspeeding 252 speed EV Modest Magnezone, among other Pokémon. Attack is maximized. The rest of EVs are spread to maximize (special) bulk, while there remains 4 EVs to invest into defense, as +4 EVs in HP or SpD wouldn’t affect the stat in question.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psych Up
- Moonblast
- Protect

Tapu Fini is a bulkier option to receive the Extreme Evoboost. Scald and Moonblast are STAB attacks. (I’m contemplating Muddy Water, as the terrain blocks Scald burns). Psych Up and Protect are self-explanatory. Leftovers provides constant recovery to help Tapu Fini outlast everyone else.

4 speed EVs are there to outspeed other Fini. HP is maximized to ensure maximum bulk. Bold over Calm nature and a lot of EVs in Defense, because Fini’s base Def is lower than its base SpD. 28 SpA EVs because the deduction from max Def doesn’t hurt too much (although I didn’t find any edge case in calcs where –4 Def EVs would make any OHKO/2HKO 100 % or where +4 SpA EVs would make any OHKO/2HKO 100 %). 4 SpD EVs because +4 EVs in Def or SpA wouldn’t affect the stat. Ideally, Fini would have 0 IVs in attack, but it was too much for my impatience while SRing.

Back