OU: Strategy VGC'16 Legendary Discussion

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Since I've been messing around a bit with the new format and slowly trying to see where the many restricted legendaries we now have access to belong (such as top tier, niche/gimmick or in the trash) I felt that I may as well open the discussion here for people to see and, you know, discuss. I'll start out with my own experiences so far.

Lugia

As always, I like to start testing with one of my favorites. Lugia has fantastic bulk, offset by very unfantastic offense, which is unfortunate considering it's strong Base 110 Speed. While Lugia in Singles can effectively wall pretty much anything, in Doubles things aren't so great to the big bird. Though Lugia may be able to take nearly any single hit thrown at it, it simply can't hold up to being double targetted which is made worse by the fact that it can't deal significant damage in return if it does survive. Due to this, Lugia ends up being set-up bait to the immensely dangerous Xerneas and any Mega Kangaskhan that has the balls to still be running Power-Up Punch.

Lugia can run a Calm Mind set to try to attempt a sweep, but it still doesn't do good enough damage to pose a threat. For the sake of testing I also tried to use a Scope Lens Calm Mind build to try to maximize Aeroblast's damage, but it never got enough critical hits to matter despite the Lens giving Aeroblast a 50% crit rate.

A sad day for Lugia indeed.

Yveltal

Oh look, another cool bird.

Yveltal is a very interesting Pokemon. It lacks the presence of it's counterpart, Xerneas, but has much more variation in builds. Most commonly, it can support it's team with Tailwind and use it's ability, Dark Aura to boost damage with Dark attacks. This allows it to effectively utilize either Physical or Special sets.

Generally the one seen the most is Foul Play, which deals considerable damage to most of the restriced legendaries and Mega Evolutions. Becoming stronger depending on the opponent's Attack stat rather than that of the user while still benefiting from Dark Aura, many 'Mons in the format fear the move. This is made only worse when the Yveltal player uses Swagger, which boosts the Attack of several Pokemon to the point where they simply can't survive Foul Play. This is very cool considering Yveltal doesn't need to invest in offense to deal this damage and can instead EV fully into it's defenses.

At the moment I'm feeling a bit of a headache, so naturally I've forgotten half the stuff I wanted to put here, but I'll finish off with the build I use.

Yveltal @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
Bold Nature
252 HP/124 Def/132 SpD
-Foul Play
-Oblivion Wing
-Dark Pulse (formerly Tailwind)
-Protect

With Sitrus Berry, Jolly 252 Atk Mega Khan has a measly 1% chance to 2HKO with Double-Edge, a 13% chance to 2HKO from Modest max Special Attack Primal Kyogre Ice Beam and although it's role on the team has changed from it's initial build, while it carried Tailwind the spread allowed Yveltal to survive Timid max Special Attack Xerneas Moonblast and set the wind up successfully, and I never felt like a change in the EV spread was needed after replacing it with Dark Pulse.

As for Dark Pulse, it was meant to hit Pokemon who aren't 2HKO'd by Foul Play such as Modest Primal Groudon and Cresselia for more tolerable damage, and because there never felt like there was a time I wanted to use Tailwind over Protect or an attack. The applications for Dark Pulse are limited but unfortunately so are Yveltal's moveset outside of Dark-type attacks, which is it's true downfall.

To finish up, here's a ORAS battle video you can see by typing the code into your VS Recorder in game, that shows very briefly what you can expect Yveltal to live.
YVCW-WWWW-WW3G-2ZHS

Looking forward to what others have to say about their own experiences, and thanks for reading.

So far I have been using the standard Xerneas+P.Groudon core with Mega Salamence. Such core is something you see on almost every team. I used Psych Up on Primal Groudon which helped a lot against opposing Geomancy Xerneas and made P.Groudon a great sweeping machine with Earth Power and Eruption. (Not to mention the time I got also my own Xerneas' to use Geomancy and ended up with both Xerneas and P.Groudon boosted together). I am looking for other legends to use and test. Ho-Oh in particular is very interesting. Although you have Primal Groudon as a superior Fire Type legend, Ho-Oh's bulk with Regenerator and the ability to use Sacred Fire with great chances to burn the opponent sounds really great.

Ho-oh is actually showing itself to be pretty great this format. Aside from being on a team that won one of the earliest PCs of the new format, Ho-oh does well at walling Xerneas and as you said, throwing burns around with Sacred Fire. It pairs very well with any legend that fears the Fairy-type (such as Rayquaza and Yveltal). Something to note though is that Regenerator on Ho-oh is unavaliable in VGC'16 as Pressure is currently the only legally obtainable abilty on it in Gen 6.

As for something I've tested recently, Dialga feels like garbage now. It may have been a top tier threat in VGC'10, but quite frankly, those days are gone. If getting OHKO'd by the extremely common Mega Kangaskhan and it's Low Kick wasn't enough, if Tailwind or Trick Room aren't up Xerneas gets to Geomancy right in it's face and then not care about what Dialga can do, not to mention Dialga needs Life Orb to get the knockout on it in the first place while Xerneas can Moonblast for 3/4's of it's health unboosted. It can't deal with Primal Kyogre, it's match-up against Primal Groudon depends solely on either winning the speed tie or having speed control, it beats Mega Rayquaza but pretty much everything can say that after it takes the -1 in defenses from Dragon Ascent, plus Dialga has to take a hit from it first.

Cue the people who say "But... But Dialga is great at setting up Trick Room!" Well, if that's it's saving grace this season then Dialga is outclassed completely in this regard by Cresselia, who doesn't fear being OHKO'd by much of anything, and has other supportive tricks up it's sleeve.

Oh my, I forgot about that. Oh well, Ho-Oh's still sounds great. I was surprise to read about Dialga. I really thought it has a lot of potential from what I have been reading on another thread.

What do you think about Giratina? Which form is better to use ? I think it's a good answer to MegaKan.

Last edited:
Back