VGC Support Moves (New Player Resource)

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
As part of my journey to learn more about the VGC metagame I had wondered about how different movesets are from 6v6 format. Especially the support moves. OU has moves like Stealth Rock Defog, Heal bell and Whirlwind. What are the top support moves every player should consider to add to his/her team ? Thanks in advance :)

As part of my journey to learn more about the VGC metagame I had wondered about how different movesets are from 6v6 format. Especially the support moves. OU has moves like Stealth Rock Defog, Heal bell and Whirlwind. What are the top support moves every player should consider to add to his/her team ? Thanks in advance :)

MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT ALERT!

Well, It's much easier to start with the moves you DON'T want to use in VGC format.

With there only being 4 Pokes per team with two active at a time Stealth Rock loses much of it's power. While switching still happens frequently enough, doubling attacks into one slot is an effective (albeit risky) tactic, it's generally more effective to just go for attacks. Some Pokes such as Mega Kangaskhan can also score easy OHKO's onto targets, making it a waste to set up hazards when simply attacking can be more effective. In the same vein, Toxic is rather weak due to games usually being over within less than 10 turns.

With hazards unseen, Defog sees no play. Heal Bell is playable but the Pokemon who learn it, such as Clefable are better off using that moveslot for other moves. Phazing is very rarely used as the bulky Pokemon who would use those tactics in Singles are rather easy to wear down in VGC or defeated by common threats such as Thundurus.

On to the useful stuff.

Follow Me. Rage Powder. These moves allow your win condition Pokes to gain them, by redirecting single-target attacks into the redirector. Although multi-target moves will slip by unhindered, those very moves also take a 25% damage nerf when hitting more than one target. There are a few viable Follow Me users, ranging from Eviolite Clefairy, it's evolved form Clefable, then Togekiss and Lucario. Even Pachirisu can perform well as a redirector given a proper spread is used.

As for Rage Powder, the move is generally only seen on Amoonguss. Speaking of that shroom, it also has Spore which is highly valued for it's 100% accurate sleep, as well as it's Regenerator ability. The others who can use it decently are Eviolite Regenerator Tangela as well as Volcarona, though neither bring high pressure as Amoonguss can. Rage Powder does have its disadvantages, with Grass-types and Pokemon carrying Safety Goggles being immune to it as well as other powder moves, such as the afforementioned Spore.

Tailwind is superb, giving doubled Speed to all of the user's Pokemon. With the four turns it lasts it can sometimes be enough to cripple your opponent severly or defeat them outright. Mid Speed Pokes such as Bisharp and Sylveon appreciate the boost greatly as much as the awkward base 100's like Mega Kangaskhan do. It also lets you get past mirror matchups favorably by giving you the speed advantage. Pokemon who use Tailwind well include Talonflame, Suicune, Zapdos and Togekiss.

Trick Room is a bit of a wild card, although it's always been that way. Reversing the move order of all Pokemon on the field, making slower Pokes go first can be debilitating. With Taunters galore, it can be risky to set it up but the reward can be tremendous. Thankfully, with Mental Herb granting a one-time immunity to Taunt, it isn't always impossible to set up. Cresselia is best known for the move although others such as Cofagrigus with it's handy Ghost-typing blocking Fake Outs from Pokemon without the Scrappy Ability is excellent, as well as Aromatisse, whose Aroma Veil Ability acts as a permanent Mental Herb, blocking all attempted Taunts and allowing Trick Room to go off (barring Fake Out).

Helping Hand is another very interesting move. Bumping up the move power of it's ally by 50%, it can allow for attacks that would be short of a knockout to pick up key OHKOs. Clefable is often seen using the move, while Sylveon, Cresselia and Whimsicott can also do well with it.

The final thing that I can think of for now would be Encore. While it can see play in Singles to force a switch, locking an opponent into a move brings a new threat in VGC. With Mega Gengar being legal for play, a notorious tactic combining a double Protect on the first turn to scout out moves, followed by a Prankster Encore on the next turn to lock in a foe to that move, Disable to prevent it (forcing the victim to Struggle) and Shadow Tag blocking their escape is a well known cheese. Whimsicott is generally the only Pokemon seen with Encore with its Prankster Ability working in perfect synergy with the very fast Mega Gengar, in a non-cheese team a few choose to use Raichu for it's Lightning Rod Ability.

This is only the little bit of information I could think of.... Hopefully it's enough for players to get an idea. :p

Last edited:
Thank you very much @Perfect_Shot ! I also appreciate the fact you gave examples of good Pokemon I can use with those moves :]
So I understand that moves that are good for long battles are less useable in 4v4 format. So I guess Wish is also not a move I should consider?
I thought it might be a great move to bring low hp Pokemon back to full health considering that you only have 4 Pokemon.
I also see that Protect and Quick guard are almost on every set in VGC especially Protect. I understand how much important they are in doubles but how do you decide which Pokemon should have Quick Guard or Protect? Is it smart sometimes to run them both on certain Pokemon?

Screens can definitely be a support move to consider. While they only reduce damage by 1/3 instead of by 1/2, it can make a definite impact on the game. With Light Clay that can get you 8 turns of protection. Another way you could set it up is have one use Light Screen while the other uses Reflect.

Icy Wind is worth mentioning because it hits both opponent's for a bit of damage and lowers their Speed 1 level. This can be enough for your Pokemon to get the jump on them and it also wrecks any Focus Sashes.

Something I used in the Fall Regionals very successfully was Snarl. It isn't the most damaging move, but it lowers the special attack of both opponents provided it hits. It also goes right through Substitute. Suicune can be a good user of this depending on your team. In the fall Sableye was my MVP that used this.

Wish is not really a move you'd want to use in the VGC format because double targetting does happen. That can make it go to waste. It is very hard to justify switching a Pokemon other than when it gets KO'd.

You really shouldn't run both Protect and Quick Guard on the same Pokemon. I like using Quick Guard on only 1-2 of the Pokemon on my team because it is situational. It works against Prankster, Gale Wings, and priority moves such as Sucker Punch. Think of Quick Guard as more of a tech than a standard move. Similarly, Wide Guard should only be on 1 of your Pokemon ( if any ) for the same reasons.

I like using Quick Guard with Talonflame because I can trap other Talonflame and also prevent Sucker Punches from Bisharp and Mega Kangaskhan. It is an egg move obtained by breeding with Archeops. I thought you might need to know that since in Showdown it may not necessarily tell you how the move is obtained.

Thank you very much @Perfect_Shot ! I also appreciate the fact you gave examples of good Pokemon I can use with those moves :]
So I understand that moves that are good for long battles are less useable in 4v4 format. So I guess Wish is also not a move I should consider?
I thought it might be a great move to bring low hp Pokemon back to full health considering that you only have 4 Pokemon.
I also see that Protect and Quick guard are almost on every set in VGC especially Protect. I understand how much important they are in doubles but how do you decide which Pokemon should have Quick Guard or Protect? Is it smart sometimes to run them both on certain Pokemon?

Wish actually isn't a half bad choice; healing is great but few Pokemon can survive being doubled into if your opponent predicts a switch. Because of that, Healing Wish is a good idea if you value healing mid-battle. It's use is pretty much limited to Gardevoir who is usually Mega and really doesn't want to sacrifice itself in that case and Latias who really isn't seen, and it's a niche move at best, but it's not a bad choice.

As for the Quick Guard/Protect question, it really all depends on how weak you are to priority. Running both moves takes away two moveslots, but a Pokemon like Terrakion can get on just fine with just Rock Slide and Close Combat, so it isn't really an issue. As for others such as Talonflame, running both makes it so you're forced to run Brave Bird and Flare Blitz/Overheat, missing out on the excellent Gale Wings Tailwind. In that regard, you're forced to decide if blocking opposing priority is more important than saving it.

You should really only run Quick Guard if you're really weak to priority. Or you run Terrakion, who can afford to slap it on it's moveset. Wide Guard is far more valuable, in my opinion.

Back