[VGC] Please help want to build politoed electric team

AMPHAROS_E

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so I have been reading a lot about Politoed. I would like to build a team with Politoed Drizzle and an electric type Pokémon any help would be greatly appreciate any help.

RE: [VGC] Please help completely new to competitive video game Pokémon

First: You have punctuation keys on your keyboard. Can you use them?
Second: Read THIS to get acquainted on how VGC is played.

Hydro Cannon said:
A great abuser of rain is none other than Thundurus-T, just be wary for stealth rock.

I've been playing VGC casually for around two years, and I've never encountered someone running Stealth Rock. Alas, Thundurus-T is really good, especially in Rain.

AMPHAROS_E said:
Is Eelektross any good with Politoed?
It's not bad. One good thing about Eelektross is that it's way, way, way easier to get a good natured one than Thundurus-T.

Regular Thundurus works as well as Thundurus-T sometimes. It has lower special attack, but it has 10 more speed than Thundurus-T does, so you get the jump on some important pokemon, like Terrakion. You might also consider trying Rotom-W. Rotom-W not only gains 100% accurate Thunder in the rain, but its other STAB attack, Hydro Pump will be boosted as well.

TPO3 said:
Regular Thundurus works as well as Thundurus-T sometimes. It has lower special attack, but it has 10 more speed than Thundurus-T does, so you get the jump on some important pokemon, like Terrakion. You might also consider trying Rotom-W. Rotom-W not only gains 100% accurate Thunder in the rain, but its other STAB attack, Hydro Pump will be boosted as well.

Don't forget Choice Specs with this^

EDIT: Talking about Rotom-W with this.

So If I were to go with Politoed and Eelktross as my starters. Does anyone have suggestions on who else should go on my team and any advice in which way to take my team.

You will definitely want something with Swift Swim. They will outspeed pretty much everything while rain is up, and they all get booster Water-type attacks that will hit for massive amounts of damage. The most popular ones are Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Kabutops.

TPO3 said:
You will definitely want something with Swift Swim. They will outspeed pretty much everything while rain is up, and they all get booster Water-type attacks that will hit for massive amounts of damage. The most popular ones are Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Kabutops.

Ok but is swift swim legal in competitive play like nationals and worlds stuff like that cuz I'm not sure about what pokebeach banned list is like is there other types of competitive play other than in person tournaments?

Yes, Swift Swim is legal with Drizzle in all VGCs (doubles). That includes official tournaments. You might also want Thundurus-I (not Therian) instead of Thundurus-T because of its Prankster ability and base 111 speed (gets priority Rain Dance in case Politoed goes down, and priority Thunder Wave to cripple fast sweepers).

I'm not much of a VGC fan, but that's what I can name off the top of my head.

~AoH

AoH said:
Yes, Swift Swim is legal with Drizzle in all VGCs (doubles). That includes official tournaments. You might also want Thundurus-I (not Therian) instead of Thundurus-T because of its Prankster ability and base 111 speed (gets priority Rain Dance in case Politoed goes down, and priority Thunder Wave to cripple fast sweepers).

I'm not much of a VGC fan, but that's what I can name off the top of my head.

~AoH

Rain Dance shouldn't be played unless you have an extra moveslot (you won't). Thundurus-I and Thundurus-T have better things to be doing with their moveslots.

The Pokebeach ban list differs from VGC's. This is VGC's current ban list:
http://nuggetbridge.com/news/vg-modified-ruleset-updated-for-vgc-13-season/

So does this look like a good team

Politoed - drizzle
Moveset
Hydro pump
Ice beam
Focus blast
Hidden power grass / surf

Eelektross - Levitate
Moveset
Thunder
Flamethrower
Giga drain
Protect

Metagross - clear body
Moveset
Earthquake
Bullet punch
Meteor mash
Protect

Cresselia - levitate
Moveset
Moonlight
Psychic
Ice beam
Thunder wave

That team seems fine to me, with the exception of a couple of things.
Metagross' ability is clear body.
I wouldn't run the moves thunderbolt, flamethrower, or moonlight.
Thunderbolt is better replaced by Thunder, which has higher base paralysis and power, and gets 100% accuracy in the rain.
Flamethrower is a good move on an Eelektross, but since you are in the rain, its base power is halved, losing any supereffective bonus it might have,
Similarly, Moonlight only heals 1/4 HP in rain. I can't think of a replacement right now, but calm mind would decently boost walling capabilities while boosting its Special Attack.

Verbivore said:
That team seems fine to me, with the exception of a couple of things.
Metagross' ability is clear body.
I wouldn't run the moves thunderbolt, flamethrower, or moonlight.
Thunderbolt is better replaced by Thunder, which has higher base paralysis and power, and gets 100% accuracy in the rain.
Flamethrower is a good move on an Eelektross, but since you are in the rain, its base power is halved, losing any supereffective bonus it might have,
Similarly, Moonlight only heals 1/4 HP in rain. I can't think of a replacement right now, but calm mind would decently boost walling capabilities while boosting its Special Attack.

Well I thought flamethrower might still be good if I get into a weather war. I can back off trying to keeps weather up if I need to hit a Pokémon, then try to get my weather back. Just a thought I'm still completely new so I may be completely wrong and should just drop it and go for a different move.

AMPHAROS_E said:
So does this look like a good team

Politoed - drizzle
Moveset
Hydro pump
Ice beam
Focus blast
Hidden power grass / surf

Protect/Ice Beam/Hidden Power [Grass]/Surf. Nature: Modest. Item: Wacan Berry/Iron Tail. EV: 252 HP, 4 SpD, 252 SpA. IV: 30 HP, 30 SpA, 3 Spe.

Eelektross - Levitate
Moveset
Thunder
Flamethrower
Giga drain
Protect

I don't feel that this Pokemon does its purpose on this team. I would take it out for Thundurus-I or Rotom-W. Don't know a good set for Thundurus-I as of now. Rotom-W would be the better choice IMO.

Metagross - clear body
Moveset
Earthquake
Bullet punch
Meteor mash
Protect

Looks good. EV: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spe. Nature: Adamant.

Cresselia - levitate
Moveset
Moonlight
Psychic
Ice beam
Thunder wave

For this to be bulky and support, it should have Psychic/Reflect/Safeguard/Ice Beam. EV: 252 HP, 60 Def, 196 SpD. Nature: Calm

Dem replies in bold. If I forgot anything somebody correct me. Also I am not good at picking Items so someone help with that too. Hope this helps!

EDIT: BWB2W2 EV Training Guide

Ok now that I have my team basically together. Is there a chart that tells you which Pokémon and what ev they give?

Back