RMT [VGC] A Form in the Breeze

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Intro
Hello everyone! This is my first VGC team I, and I created for the 2016 VGC format, and on PS I've peaked at 1437. I've never particularly been interested in VGC until recently, and with a couple of edits, I believe my team deserves an outside opinion. I'm well aware that the following Pokémon are some of the most commonly used, but why fix it if it isn't broke? Anyways, here's the team.​

At a Glance:
235.png
716-a.png
115-m.png
latest
169.png
488.png

Up Close:
235.png

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Transform
- Magic Coat

Smeargle pairs well with Groudon, Mega Khan, and Xerneas. Xerneas is Smeargle's most common factor because of gaining two fearsome sweepers that can automatically destroy opponents in mere turns. Dark Void is Smeargle's most common starting move, possibly putting to sleep both Pokémon. Transform makes Smeargle a threatening wild Card, able to play off of Groudon's SD boosts + Precipice Blade double hitter, Kangashkhan's ability to hit everything twice, and Xerneas's free Geomancy boost, all while the opponent is asleep. In case of Taunt users Smeargle has Magic Coat so Smeargle can defend itself. Spikey Shield let's Smeargle scout and punish physical attackers.

716-a.png

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

One of probably the best Pokémon in VGC, Xerneas is very powerful and only takes one turn to set up. Thunderbolt hits Kyogre/Poison-types/whatever resists the other two moves, Focus Blast hits Steel-type Pokémon, which would otherwise threaten Xerneas. Dazzling Gleam is STAB and gets a boost from the ability, useful for cleaning the field.

115-m.png

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick

Does well with both Tailwind and Helping Hand support, as well as forms an interesting combination with Smeargle. Fake Out is always the first move used, chipping away at an opponent's health, all while preventing am attack. Low Kick gets rid of other Gengarkhan and Ferrothorn. Sucker Punch finishes off faster threats such as Weavile, and is the only way to hit Mega Gengar. Double-Edge does devastating damage to anything that doesn't resist it, which includes the weather trio and Xerneas.

latest

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 48 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide

Swords Dance pairs well with Groudon's bulk and move combination, hitting everything in the Metagame for neutral or SE damage. Groudon also appreciates Helping Hand, and can rip through whole teams when Swords Dance is used in conjunction with Tailwind. Gravity not only allows Precipice Blades to hit Flying-type or levitating foes, but it also increases the accuracy of Rock Slide and Precipice Blades. Fire Punch deals with Steel-types, namely Scizor and Ferrothorn. Rock Slide is interesting because it has a chance of flinching opponents.

169.png

Crobat @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

Crobat pairs really well with everyone on the team, being able to provide protection from priority moves, as well as making the team temporarily faster. Taunt is really useful and sees more than it's fair share of use. Super Fang just tears into opponents, even if it won't KO them, it makes things softer to take out.

488.png

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gravity
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Moonlight/Skill Swap

I went with the Trick Room EV spread but replaced TR with Gravity, letting Groudon hit floating and flying Pokémon with Precipice Blades. Helping Hand finds really good use when paired with Kangashkhan and Groudon, letting the former's Fake Out do more damage, and the ladder's Precipice Blades and Rock Slide clear the other team out. I run Moonlight mainly, because I find Skill Swap to be gimmicky most of the time, but being able to Skill Swap Prankster and Intimidate is fun. Ice Beam ensures Cresselia isn't Taunt bait, as well as being able to score the occasional freeze.

Export:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Transform
- Magic Coat

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 48 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide

Crobat @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Super Fang
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gravity
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Moonlight / Skill Swap

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Well, I am also not very experienced in VGC, especially the new format. There are few things I have noticed, though:

Xerneas- Why Focus Blast? 70 percent accuracy may be terrible in VGC when every move matters. Steel types are indeed something to be afraid of, but that's why you have P.Groudon for. Having Protect instead gives you the opportunity to keep Xerneas unharmed and attack the opponent with your other Pokemon, with no need to switch Xerneas, especially if it got boosted already.

P.Groudon- It is interesting. How often you manage to set up SD? I wonder if a Follow Me Pokemon could be necessary here. I guess that you use it with M.Kanga's Fake Out?

btw- M.Kanga has no EV explanation.
btw 2- When you write P and B together the site automatically makes it PB

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Well, I am also not very experienced in VGC, especially the new format. There are few things I have noticed, though:

Xerneas- Why Focus Blast? 70 percent accuracy may be terrible in VGC when every move matters. Steel types are indeed something to be afraid of, but that's why you have P.Groudon for. Having Protect instead gives you the opportunity to keep Xerneas unharmed and attack the opponent with your other Pokemon, with no need to switch Xerneas, especially if it got boosted already.
Well, there won't always be instances where Groudon will be there with Xerneas, and ontop of that Xerneas couldn't really touch other Groudon either without Focus Blast.

P.Groudon- It is interesting. How often you manage to set up SD? I wonder if a Follow Me Pokemon could be necessary here. I guess that you use it with M.Kanga's Fake Out?
SD gets set up probably around ~45% of the time, but it's not a necessity to get off, I find most times I end up just spamming Precipice Blades.
Here's an example of Precipice Blades spam :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2016-353697168

btw- M.Kanga has no EV explanation.
btw 2- When you write P and B together the site automatically makes it PokéBeach
Edited those, sorry :p

Last edited:

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
I think you're underestimating Skill Swap. That crap is borderline broken when you do it right. It's the power to cripple your foe, buff your ally, re-initialize your weather mid-turn (without a switch), and so much more - all in the same move. True, it's only as good as your foe's abilities as far as crippling your opponent, but there are plenty of absurd combos you can pull off under the right circumstances. Albeit under near-perfect circumstances I manged to pull off the following in the last tournament I attended:
Turn 1: Foe switches one mon for P.Don to counter my Khan, Khan megas & uses FakeOut on other mon. Cress Skill Swaps with Khan. (at this point, both foes were physical attackers)
Turn 2: I swap Khan for LO Landorus-T and swap abilities. Intimidate activates twice and Lando now had Parental Bond. I only take minor chip damage from the foes (Lando is immune to the incoming precipice blades).
Turn 3: Foe repectfully forfeits (P.Don cant survive against EQ and double hit Stone Edge/etc. will massacre the rest of his team - even if I dont use Helping Hand with it)