VGC 2015 Common Threats

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This aims to cover the most common threats you will encounter in the VGC 2015 format. Try and ensure your team has an answer to as many of these as possible. This is by no means a complete list of everything you will ever encounter. Pokemon names in bold mean the Pokemon is in the top 10 for most usage.

Aegislash: Aegislash will rarely continue to stay in Blade Forme after attacking unless Trick Room is in effect. Its attacks are very strong. It may also have Wide Guard. Aegislash is sometimes holding Weakness Policy so plan accordingly.

Amoongus: Amoongus likes to use Spore to put your Pokemon to sleep. It also is surprisingly bulky. It can use Rage Powder to redirect your attacks. Trick Room teams like Amoongus for its slow speed.

Aromatisse: Another user of Trick Room.

Bisharp: Not as common as it used to be, but Bisharp's Defiant punishes players for using stat lowering moves and abilities. It also has Sucker Punch with STAB.

Blaziken: Being able to go mixed and having Speed Boost makes Blaziken hard to take down.

Breloom: Breloom likes to use Spore to put an opponent to sleep. It commonly holds Focus Sash to ensure it survives an attack.

Charizard: Most commonly Charizard will mega evolve into Charizard-Y to change the weather to sun. It has very high power and has the spread move Heat Wave.

Conkeldurr: Not as common as it once was, nonetheless, it can still pack quite a punch before leaving the field. Assault Vest is the item of choice for Conkeldurr and it typically has Guts rending Will-O-Wisp dangerous to use.

Cresselia: This is a defensive monster. It has high HP and defenses and has access to recovery. Cresselia tends to have some kind of speed control. This can come in the shape of Icy Wind and Trick Room. It can also boost its partner's power with Helping Hand.

Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn is a defensive Pokemon that tends to play a supportive role. It is often included on rain teams for its typing. It can paralyze with Thunder Wave, stall with Leech Seed, do a strong hit with Power Whip, or do varying damage with Gyro Ball depending on speed difference.

Gardevoir: This set comes in a couple varieties. Sets that use its mega stone will use Hyper Voice to take advantage of its Pixelate ability. Choice Scarf is a common item for nonmega Gardevoir to help it deal with its mediocre speed. Expect to see a Hidden Power from Choice Scarf Gardevoir. Gardevoir is also sometimes used as a Trick Room setter.

Gastrodon: Gastrodon usually has Storm Drain making single target water moves useless and boosting its own special attack.

Gengar: Tends to be more on Perish Trap teams as a Mega Evolution for its ability Shadow Tag. Notable moves include Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Disable, and access to Destiny Bond.

Gothitelle: Gothitelle is primarily present on Perish Trap teams and prevents switches with its Shadow Tag ability. It also has Heal Pulse to keep its partner healthy.

Gyarados: Usually has the Intimidate ability. Sometimes it will try and use Dragon Dance to boost its stats while its partner uses Follow Me / Rage Powder. It then strikes hard with Earthquake after mega evolving so Pokemon with Levitate are still hit.

Heatran: Heatran is a bulky Pokemon that also has strong special attacks. It is a hard counter to Sylveon.
Hydreigon: Hydreigon has very high power and occasionally is choice scarfed.

Kangaskhan: This threat from last season is still present this season. Getting Intimidate or a burn on the Kangaskhan early on is very important. It may also have Power-Up Punch making it even more of a problem.

Kingdra: Kingdra is normally used on rain teams because of Swift Swim. It becomes one of the fastest Pokemon without Tailwind. It has the moves to take out several common Pokemon.

Landorus-T: It will lower the attack of both of your Pokemon when brought it. It commonly carries Choice Scarf and the moves Earthquake, Knock Off, and Rock Slide. Explosion is less common, but it is powerful when used.

Ludicolo: Having rare weaknesses give it the ability to act as a tank or an offensive threat. Fake Out is extremely common. It is one of the best counters to Rotom-W.

Manectric: Not as popular as it once was, it still has Lightning Rod before Mega Evolution and Intimidate after. The mega has very high speed and special attack. Hidden Power Ice is almost always seen on Manectric.

Mawile: Almost exclusively used as a mega, it has very high attack with its ability Pure Power. It is slow so make sure you target it before it destroys your Pokemon.

Metagross: Mega Metagross hits everything hard and before it mega evolves, it is immune to stat drops. After Mega Evolution, it becomes very fast and tends to carry Iron Head and Ice Punch. Sometimes Zen Headbutt or Bullet Punch are used. Adamant nature has a tendency to run Bullet Punch to finish off Pokemon that are weakened because of being outpaced by positive 110s.

Milotic: With the ability Competitive, its Special Attack is increased two levels each time its stats are lowered. You'll want to avoid sending in an Intimidate user against Milotic unless you are sure you can get rid of it. Weakness Policy is sometimes held due to Milotic great special defense.

Politoed: Politoed comes in a couple different varieties. Sometimes it is used to set-up rain. This approach tends to pair Politoed with Ludicolo or Kingdra. Perish Song is the other variation which cannot be blocked with Protect.

Rotom-W: It is bulky and commonly carries one of Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp, sometimes both. Make sure you are able to take the status conditions.

Salamence: In particular, Mega Salamence has very high power on both sides of the spectrum making it a guess as to which kind it is. Special versions use Draco Meteor and Hyper Voice to plow through Pokemon in a flash while physical sets hit extremely hard with Double Edge / Return and Earthquake.

Slowking: Slowking is a Trick Room user when it is seen on teams and has quite high special defense.

Smeargle: While Smeargle can run anything, Dark Void is something that is commonly seen on it. Having a fast Taunt user or double targetting it are the best ways to get rid of it.

Suicune: Suicune is another defensive Pokemon. It tends to play a support role and can carry Icy Wind, Tailwind, Scald, and Snarl among its moves.

Swampert: Usually seen as a mega and is only weak to grass moves. Once it mega evovles, its Swift Swim ability will raise its speed in the rain. Commonly seen on teams that include Politoed.

Sylveon: When Sylveon is using Choice Specs or Life Orb Hyper Voice does immense damage to all but the most dedicated special walls.

Talonflame: There are support variations which run Tailwind and others that are purely offensive. It can also use Quick Guard.

Terrakion: Terrakion has powerful offensive potential and sometimes runs Choice Scarf making it very difficult to outpace where your only option is to survive its attacks. Close Combat is more standard than Sacred Sword because of how quickly battles are over. You also have to watch for potential spread damage with Rock Slide. Don't forget it has access to Quick Guard and to focus your efforts on it when it is paired with Whimsicott.

Thundurus: With Prankster, it can immediately paralyze, Taunt, or even confuse your Pokemon before they can even move. You can occasionally find them carrying Hidden Power Ice. It is more bulky than you think.

Togekiss: Togekiss is capable of paraflinching your Pokemon. It also has Dazzling Gleam and may also have Follow Me. Its prevolution, Togetic, may also be seen holding Eviolite although it is not as common.

Tyranitar: Brings sand which will render focus sashes useless. It has more commonly been holding Choice Scarf although other variants exist.

Venusaur: Sometimes seen as a mega while others it functions with Chlorophyll on a sun team. The mega has quite strong defenses and can deal strong attacks. The nonmega may go for Sleep Powder early on to disable your Pokemon.

Whimsicott: Whimsicott plays a supportive role with the moves Encore, Tailwind, and typically uses Beat-Up against its own Terrakion to raise Terrakion's attack.

Zapdos: Zapdos is interesting in that you can face offensive variants or support variants. Hidden Power Ice is something you should be prepared for. Zapdos also likes to carry Heat Wave. It also is a Tailwind user.

While it isn't popular yet, Nidoqueen may rise in usage due to it being on the winning team for US VGC Nationals seniors. Life Orb + Sheer Force is a powerful combo and it has the movepool to hit a ton of Pokemon.

Last edited:
Milotic/Bisharp+ Mega Kangaskhan is something I think will be very common. Intimidate is everywhere and so is Mega Kangaskhan. I think that Breloom can be a great counter to that strategy with it's Mach Punch. Focus Sash Spore and Bullet Seed. Just don't forget to protect the first turn to block Fake Out :p

I dislike Breloom because it just doesn't have the bulk that Amoongus has. Its speed is only mediocre which doesn't make up for that. Breloom also doesn't have access to Rage Powder so it just doesn't make the cut.

Leading with Talonflame against Bisharp + Kangaskhan is far more effective because you can Quick Guard with Talonflame. Bisharp is also forced out because of the potential to have Flare Blitz. Pairing the Talonflame with Landorus-T can be effective since you threaten the Bisharp while lowering Kangaskhan's attack. I've used that to counter that strategy multiple times on Showdown. Rotom-W also works well as Talonflame's partner against that lead for the ability to burn.

There are so many things to check Mega Kangaskhan.. Was it very common at spring regionals?
I also saw Rain teams and T-Wave Gyarados with Lum Berry to handle them. Seems pretty effective.

Kangaskhan was quite popular. It is able to be put on almost any team and do well; I think that is a major contributing factor.

Hmmm would you consider Clefairy a bit of a threat? It's gained a bit of popularity. Might be short lived though. Definitely annoying to face.

Hmmm would you consider Clefairy a bit of a threat? It's gained a bit of popularity. Might be short lived though. Definitely annoying to face.

Clefairy isn't in the top 50 most used Pokemon. I had located a thread by searching that listed the usage stats for Battle Spot Doubles. Clefairy was number 84 on that list. It might pick up a little popularity before Nationals based on a Madison Regional streamed match, but it still isn't going to be that high of usage. Its defenses are only mediocre and it easily falls to Metagross which was significantly more popular. Bisharp and Mawile also have high usage and handle it well. If you are interested in the link, let me know and I'll fetch it for you.

If you are using Clefairy on your team, you are essentially dedicating one spot to something that can't inflict much damage and only acts as a sponge for attacks. You need to use a stat boosting move on another Pokemon to utilize Clefairy to its full potential; something I feel many people will not do.

This is missing common Pokémon like Clefairy/Clefable, Rotom-H, Raichu, Camerupt, Blastoise, Virizion, ... Also the Thundurus you are talking about is I, but T is also a threath.

I would sort the Pokémon alphabetically for better readability.

Virizion is not that viable and I have yet to face one either over wifi or on Showdown. It is extremely vulnerable to Brave Bird ( when you aren't using Quick Guard ) or Hyper Voice from Salamence which are 4th and 14th on the usage list respectively. Anything that was not in the top 50 for usage stats I did not include because the chances or running into them at a live event is rare. To give you the actual usage the most used Pokemon, Kangaskhan, was used 157,889 times. The 50th most used Pokemon, Crobat, was at 9559 uses. Thundurus-T is out of the top 50, the same goes for Blastoise and Camerupt. I never write the "I" if the Pokemon is in its Incarnate forme because that is the default forme.

Rotom-H is in the top 50, but just barely. It is generally inferior to Rotom-W because of typing. Being weak to Rock Slide does not do any favors to Rotom-H.

As I also stated in my opening post, the list is not a complete list of everything you will encounter. You have to remember, higher events you are going to see more of the most common Pokemon, especially when you have a winning record. The stats are not taken from only players with x amount of Championship Points. If they were, you'd see much less variety.

I would sort the Pokémon alphabetically for better readability.

When I have time I will do that.

Edit: Added a couple more Pokemon from top 50 I was missing. Alphabetized the list and bolded the 10 most used Pokemon.

Last edited:
Just because some Pokémon are not that common when looking at BS usuage it doesn't mean they aren't important threats. Other top threat Pokémon that should be prepared for that you are missing are Scrafty, Arcanine, Entei, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Mamoswine and Infernape. I know many good players who play with Virizion and Blastoise/Camerupt megas are TR-Staple megas. But then you mention something like Mat Block Greninja which pretty much doesn't exist?

Last edited:
I did some edits based on results of US Nationals both from what I faced, and what made top 8 in Seniors and Masters. None of the divisions had Blastoise so my point about it stands. Even the teams the did use Trick Room did not use Blastoise or Camerupt. Blastoise and Camerupt are just not consistent enough to perform at the highest level.

Clefairy I'm more on the fence about now that nationals is over. It was on one team from the top 8 which really isn't that many. It was used in conjunction with Mega Kangaskhan to use Power-Up Punch to raise its attack.

Seniors had 1 Entei on a team that made top 8, but the Entei really wasn't used to full potential. Sacred Fire was its only real damaging attack. Snarl was to lower the opponent's special attack. It really lacks momentum with its limited movepool. The problem with Arcanine is that it is outclassed. Yes, it has Intimidate, but that is the only thing it has going for it compared to Blaziken. Heatran is also more useful in general than Arcanine because of its better defenses and offensive abilities.

Back