VGC 2014 Mega Aggron help

starpilot11

Pokemon Master
This is my Mega Aggron team that I use in pokemon showdown. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aggron @ ite
252 SpD, 240 HP, 16 Def
+SpD/-Spd
- Sandstorm
- Iron Head
- Curse
- Protect/Rest

The Pokemon that this team is built around. I have it set up to be very defensive and to be able to deal damage back. The sand is to increase SpD. Iron Head is my selected damage dealing move because it has 100% accuracy and respectable power. Curse is to increase defense and attack so that I can survive and KO the enemy. And then I'm not sure if I want rest or protect because protect really helps block fake out and Mega Charizard Y, which is my main concern, and rest is unexpected and can save my main attacker.

Klefki @ Focus Sash
252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpD
+SpD/-Atk
Prankster
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Safeguard
- Protect

Screens are always good, especially light screen here since his main problem is with heat wave. Safeguard keeps Aggron burn, confuse, paralysis, and sleep free, burn and confuse are the main ones here. Protect to block a Mega Char Y heat wave away.

Clawitzer @ Lum Berry/ the one that cures sleep
252 Spd, 252 HP, 4 SpA
+Spd/-Atk
Mega Launcher
- Heal Pulse
- Water Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest

Aggron's main support. Heal pulsing Aggron to keep he alive. water pulse to hit fire. Dragon Pulse as a filling attack, could be replaced. Rest/Lum Berry to keep the heal pulses going.

Garchomp @ ?
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
+Spd/-SpA
Sand Veil
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

No earthquake cause it will hit Aggron and not Char Y. Rock Slide to KO Charizard. Dragon Claw to deal with other Drags. Dragon Dance to play the charging game. And protect, should just be on every non healing Pokemon.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
+Spd/-SpA
Gale Wings
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Just a standard TF set. Priority. Helps against Fighting types. Revenge killer towers the end.

?

Not sure what to put here. Suggestions?

So, as you can probably tell, the thing that I think is the biggest threat to this team is M Char Y. Since it's attacks are special and super effective, and before someone points it out yes I know what filter does, but it's special and still does more damage than normal so I don't like it.

Aggron definitely needs to have Protect because it is vulnerable to Surf and Earthquake. I would seriously consider Stone Edge instead of Curse. 140 Base Attack is high, but when quite a few types resist Iron Head, having a second damaging move helps more. You also have to consider Mega Aggron has the highest Base Defense of any Pokemon at 230.

Chesto Berry is the one that cures Sleep.

Garchomp can't learn Dragon Dance. It can learn Swords Dance, but boosting moves are hard to use in doubles format because it could get double attacked before using a move after boosting. I am also going to say you really should have Earthquake. It can reliably hit quite a few types. You have Protect on your Aggron anyway.

I feel your team would benefit from a weather inducing Pokemon because once the Charizard Mega Evolves, it changes the weather to sun.

Thanks! I see your point about set up moves. When you spoke of weather, were you suggesting Ttar or fake out sandstorm? Meant swords dance. In play testing, iron head has proved troublesome, but why stone edge instead of rock slide? I think that I'll put earthquake on Garchomp.

Updated team. Same strat.

Aggron @ ite
252 SpD, 240 HP, 16 Def
+SpD/-Spd
- Sandstorm
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Klefki @ Lum Berry
252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpD
+SpD/-Atk
Prankster
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Safeguard
- Protect

Clawitzer @ Chesto Berry
252 Spd, 252 HP, 4 SpA
+Spd/-Atk
Mega Launcher
- Heal Pulse
- Water Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest

Garchomp @ ?
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
+Spd/-SpA
Sand Veil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
+Spd/-SpA
Gale Wings
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
+Atk/-SpA
Sand Stream
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Protect

I didn't see Rock Slide in its move learn list. I must've glanced over it.

I'd say to actually put Air Ballon on Tyranitar because then you can dodge Earthquake until it gets hit without having to waste a turn using Protect. This would let you put the Focus Sash on Garchomp instead.

A different route you could go is to put Air Balloon on Klefki which would make it only weak to fire attacks and then put Haban Berry on Garchomp. This is what you'd want to do if you want to lead out with Garchomp because you can put pressure on the opponent right away.

I think that I like the idea of putting air balloon on Ttar, as you suggested, and then putting the focus sash on Garchomp. Probably a Shuca Berry on Klefki.

Back