[VGC 2012] Lucario Sweep

Umbreon

Bree from IRC
This is one of the first teams I have built. It isn't much but I tried executing some strategies I picked up here and there to put this team together. In any case, I have done a little bit of testing with this team and went 2-2 drop at the VGC tournament with it. (Don't ask why I dropped, it's a long story) Anyway, I would like to improve my team-making abilities so many concept ideas and explanations for fixes would be really nice. Thank you.
---------------------------------
At A Glance
[icon]448[/icon][icon]130[/icon][icon]488[/icon][icon]479-2[/icon][icon]229[/icon][icon]464[/icon]​

Pokemon Analysis

front.png
Pokemon:LucarioItem:Chople Berry
Ability:Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature:ModestMoves:
  • Aura Sphere
  • Vacuum Wave
  • Dark Pulse
  • Detect
Lucario is basically the core of my team. I went with a standard Special Attacker to have better offensive synergy with Gyarados who is by default next to Lucario. I went with Detect over Follow me because once again, Lucario is the core of this team and his job is to sweep the team, not to be the punching bag. I also chose Dark Pulse over HP Ice because I felt like I wanted something to kill off Cresselia or Chandelure.
front.png
Pokemon:GyaradosItem:Focus Sash
Ability:Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 250 Spd
Nature:AdamantMoves:
  • Ice Fang
  • Thunder Wave
  • Waterfall
  • Protect
One of the things I read up was that you need to pick a Pokemon to build a team around on basic terms then research what beats that Pokemon then what beats those. After that, you tally up who can beat a majority of them and put that along side that guy. Gyarados won that count. According to statistics, Intimidate alone should cripple Pokemon like Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Heatran, and Gliscor. Waterfall is specifically put in for STAB and Volcarona in addition to Gliscor. (Volcarona can also be paralyzed with Thunder Wave) Hippowdon shouldn't be able to stand up to stab moves as well. Focus Sash sounds a little silly but it has surprised a couple people. I thought Zapdos would be popular so having that type of insurance felt worth it so Gyarados can survive a turn and possibly do whatever it needs to do.
front.png
Pokemon:CresseliaItem:Sitrus Berry
Ability:Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SDef
Nature:CalmMoves:
  • Rain Dance
  • Ice Beam
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
After looking at Lucario and Gyarados as a whole and felt like I needed something that can take a few hits but still further eliminate a couple more Lucario threats, Cresselia looked like it could fit both criteria. Terrakion and Toxicroak shouldn't like a well placed Psychic attack from Cresselia. Ice Beam was put in for Salamence (and possibly Garchomp) although I'm not sure if Ice Beam should be Icy Wind instead. Thunder Wave was another option to paralyze Salamence and any other speedy foes. Rain Dance I felt was needed because Lucario does not enjoy Sunny Day so that was my way of cooling things down sort of speak.
front.png
Pokemon:Rotom-HItem:Electric Gem
Ability:Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SAtk
Nature:ModestMoves:
  • Overheat
  • Discharge
  • Hidden Power [Grass]
  • Protect
I must admit that looking at statistics and seeing how popular Zapdos is, that I should add in something to deal with Zapdos. Doing some research, it appeared Rotom-H was the best choice since it resists all of Zapdos's standard moves and can hit back pretty hard. Rotom-H also doubles as one of my late game spreaders with the use of Discharge. Since Rotom-H was in solely for its typing and ability to Discharge, I didn't see a reason to stray away from the standard move-set.
front.png
Pokemon:HoundoomItem:Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature:NaiveMoves:
  • Crunch
  • Heat Wave
  • Taunt
  • Protect
Even though Lucario has Dark Pulse, I felt like I needed something to take out Chandelure if it ever popped up. After taking into consideration Chandelure's standard move-set, I decided Houndoom would make a unique check for Chandelure since it can resist all of Chandelure's attacks and hit back for STAB Crunch. Other than that, it was really the only reason Houndoom was added to the roster.
front.png
Pokemon:RhyperiorItem:Rock Gem
Ability:Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
Nature:BraveMoves:
  • Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • Megahorn
  • Protect
Trick Room is listed as one of the big four categories of teams. I wasn't quite sure if I could handle Trick Room teams with the current five so I decided to add someone who can survive effectively inside Trick Room. With Rhyperior's base 40 speed, I thought it would perform excellently and wipe through a team in seconds.
Known Issues
Since I am somewhat of a novice at battling, I am unsure if something is truly an issue or if I'm just playing the match wrong. I have noticed that I can't seem to do much against Rain Dance teams. My thoughts were to start with Cresselia and Gyarados who can absorb Surf and start crippling their Pokemon with Thunder Wave, but that doesn't seem to work completely.

I have also noticed in checking the weaknesses that half my team is weak to rock type attacks and considering Rock Slide is a big move in doubles, that I should be worried about Rock Slide teams. Lucario resists Rock Slide so I'm not sure if I should be extremely worried but it has been something I noticed.

Porygon-X

There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
I'm not the best at the VGC, but I did go 5-3 at Regionals, so I'll try by best to help you.

If I were you, I'd drop Houndoom for a T-Tar. The reason you are running 'Doom, is for Chandulure, right? T-Tar handles that guy amazingly; he one shots with Rock Slide, and KOs with Sand Storm if they carry a Sash. Some Chandulures carry Energy Ball, but with your sand storm up, and 252 HP, it does not KO you. He can also handle the likes of Cress, Lati@s, Genies, and pretty much any bird you'll see. Just watch out for Hitmontops, Scizors, and Metagross.

T-Tar is an all around great Pokemon, and I highly recommend him.

Here is a set to get you started:

Tyranitar @ Chople
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Attk, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- SuperPower/Low Kick
- Protect

Rockslide and Crunch are standard on T-Tar, as they are the best STAB moves he has for the VGC. I did not run ether Superpower or Low Kick, for they hard to get. I think Superpower is a Japanese move, and Low Kick is a 4th gen tutor move. If you can get one, get it. Otherwise, I ran Earthquake. And of course, Protect is a must on pretty much all VGC 'Mons.

For your rain matchup, I would change Rain Dance on Cress, to Sunny Day. I know you said that Lucario hates Sun; and he does. But if you face a rain team, you can use Sunny Day to half the damage of all water type moves. Just make sure to use it once Politoed is gone; he should be your primary target.

T-Tar also helps your rain match a little, as he brings his own weather that ups his SpDef against an all special rain team.

Also, I would switch Ice Beam on your Cress to Icy Wind. (That would involve a whole new Cress though, as it's a 4th Gen tutor move.) If you opt for a new one, I would take into consideration the move Helping Hand - also a 4th Gen tutor move. Not sure what I'd take out for it though.

I like the idea of Rhyperior as a TR check. However, what I have found to be far more effective than running a Pokemon that does well in TR, is a Pokemon that stops it in it's tracks completely.

I recommend Chandulure. He is an incredible attacker, and he has access to Imprison. Imprison locks all of your opponent's moves that is known by the user. So if you carry TR on your Chandie, and use Imprison, your opponent can't use TR as long as you keep your Chandie in play. Even if they selected the move the turn you use Imprison.

Here is a set that I recommend:

Chandulure @ Focus Sash/Fire Gem
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpAttk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Attk)
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Imprison

Heat wave is an amazing move to use combined with Chandie's sky high SAttk stat, and Shadow Ball rounds off the coverage hitting a wide variety of Pokemon in the VGC for weakness. And of course, TR and Imprison is there to lock your opponent from even getting set up. Chandulre's ghost typing also means they can't use their Fake Out user on you, and if they run a Follow Me user instead, Imprison works on both opponents.

All in all, though, you have a really well thought out team, nice job! I love the idea and uniqueness behind your Lucario Gyarados core. Good luck at your next VGCs if you go. :)

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
On Houndoom, I use a set that has relative success, particularly against Psychic types. This is the combination of Sucker Punch and Pursuit, which puts you in a stalemate against Psychics/Ghosts. Basically, the foe will most likely switch out, meaning that they will get hit by a powerful Pursuit, or stay in and take a Sucker Punch to the face. The set I run is:
Houndoom @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
EVs: 220 Atk, 252 Spd, 32 SpA
Naughty/Brave nature (not the best, but works the best for this set)
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit
-Heat Wave (normally use Fire Blast, but since the VGCs are doubles then it works much better)
-HP Grass
Even if you don't use this whole set, I highly recommend using HP Grass. It allows Houndoom to effectively hit Ground and Water types, types it would have large trouble with otherwise.
Hope this helps :]

Umbreon

Bree from IRC
Thank you both for the ideas. I will have to do some statistics of the ideas and see if they will work. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.