[VGC 2012] A Psychic, 2 Ghosts, A Fighter, A Robot, and Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
Hello everyone! After some time of browsing around the Rate My Team section, I've decided to make my own Rate My Team post based around my current VGC 2012 team. It is complete for the most part, but there is always room for improvement. Anyways, lets get started.

AT A GLANCE
145.png
[sprite]488[/sprite]
376.png
[sprite]479-4[/sprite] [sprite]560[/sprite] [sprite]609[/sprite]

Broken keys between f and j on tis computer please bear wit me!

This is a quick glance at my team. I wanted to use Pokemon tat are bulky and can deal lots of damae. pretty muc everyone on tis team fits te criteria.
TEAM BUILDING
I started at first with a spin on my single battle team: Whimsicott, Heracross, Rotom-H, Salamence, and Hydreigon. As I started thinking about doing double battles again, I did something with Choice Scarf on heracross and Toxic on Whimsicott, poisoning heracross. The 2 Pokémon were weak to fire, so I deciced to put it Sableye instead. Well, Sableye was a little too weak for me, So I completely got rid of Heracross's strategy and completely removed it from my team. Rotom-H was a Flame Orb tricker, but the majority of fire types made me switch it to a Wash Rotom. Using Wash Rotom got me intrested in using Scizor, so I did. Soon, Hydreigon was replaced with Latios because of Thunder. Well, after some legitimacy compications with Latios(the trader's date was after VGC 12), He was switched with a Zapdos. I don't remember HOW I got Scrafty on my team or who he replaced (I've gone through a LOT of changes on this team). I soon realized my team was pretty slow and Needed Trick Room as an option (Not an absolute need). Since Whimsicott was being used in hardly any battles, I swapped it for Bronzong. Soon I realized how well my team could don with drizzle, So politoed was added to my team in place of Salamece. I realized
Politoeed wasnt a very ood coice bc of low stats, so no more rain on tis team. Bronzong was swapped for Chandelure since it was too similar to Metagross in many ways.

THE TEAM NOW
I'm going to go in Pokédex order simply because it is how I have them listed in my party.
Code:
(nickname)Name@Item
EVs
Ability
Nature
Moves

145.gif

(Gigavolt) Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Pressure
Quiet Nature
Moves:
-Roost
-Protect
-Heat Wave
-Discharge

This is a fairly basic Zapdos. I chose Roost to keep Zapdos at a good ammount of health if it is really neccesary. Alongside Bronzong, I can safely Roost as you will see later. Protect is just for longevity and so I can see what they're going for to know if a switch is a good idea or not. This may be switched with Detect, but it's terrible PP will let me only protect 4 times if the opponent has Pressure, and only 3 times if I don't have max PP. Heat Wave is standard since Zapdos's movepool isn't the greatest and Hits both opponents with a 75 base power Fire move. Discharge is cosen to it multiple enemies, but can be risky since not many of my Pokemon know protect and none are round type.

376.gif

METAROSS @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 hp, 4 SpD
Clear Body
Lax Nature (But Shiny!So I dont care :p )
Moves:
-Protect
-Bullet Punc
-Zen eadbutt
-Eartquake

Tis is a pretty basic Metaross. I didnt ave a coice on te nature since it is siny (Been ack cecked, its real[ot in trade.]) Anyways, Protect is pretty standard on Pokemon wo serve te purpose of dealin damae wen neccesary. Zen eadbutt is a neccesary move to counter itmontop. Cresselia as a Psycic move too in case playin metaross is too risky. Since I didnt ave a coice on IVs eiter, Metaross attack stat isnt too ood, so Life Orb is used. Bullet Punc is reat on weakened Pokemon, but Ive considered Meteor Mas or Iron ead instead. Eartquake is a fantastic move since I ave a ood deal of Pokemon wit immunitied to round type moves.

479-wash.gif

(I Eat Soap)Rotom Wash @ Wide Lens
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Levitate
Modest Nature
Moves:
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt

This is my long time friend Rotom. He isn't in my favorite form, but it works much better on this team. Will-O-Wisp and a Wide Lens removes most of the hax associated with Will-O-Wisp. This move is fantastic for Hitmontop and other physical threats like Garchomp. Hydro Pump is definetly the best STAB move for Rotom Wash. With a Wide Lens, Hydro Pump's accuracy becomes 90. Thunderbolt is also a fantastic STAB choice and can dent just about any Pokémon. Protect is for good measure and can save me if both opponents are going for Rotom, since they often do.

488.gif

CRESSELIA @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Levitate
Bold Nature
Moves:
-Trick Room
-Psysock
-Enery Ball
-Ice Beam

Tis is a fantastic Cresselia. After realizin tat My team is too slow to et anytin done, I needed anoter trick room user. Cresselia was my best option. I cose a STAB move tat can work as a itmontop counter. Te rest ae moves tat can punc a ole in common Pokemon. Ice Beam and Enery Ball can deal massive damae (if not KO) anytin tat takes 4x damae. Ive considered Expert Belt, but Lefties is better. Not muc else to say on cresselia.

560.gif

(JUDGE)Scrafty @ Big Root
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Shed Skin
Brave Nature
Moves:
-Rest
-Fake Out
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
This is a pretty basic Scrafty but with some changes. Rest and Shed Skin can prove to be a great combonation. If I get paralyzed etc, I'm good to go with Shed Skin and Flame Body on Chandelure won't be too bad with some luck. Fake Out is a necessary move in doubles. Scrafty's great attack can put a dent in any not bulky Pokémon with Fake Out. Drain Punch is another essential move on Scrafty if Rest is too risky. The last move Crunch provides great STAB and can cover Cresselia and other popular Psychics.

609.gif

(Soul Thief) Chandelure @ Air Balloon
EVs:252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Flash Fire
Modest Nature
Moves:
-Trick Room
-Energy Ball
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
This Chandelure, unlike most Chandelures, has Flamethrower instead of Heat Wave. This can be good since it could be possible that I only want to attack one opponent since the other may have Flash Fire. I chose Trick Room since I needed more than 1 Trick Room user on my team. Energy Ball is the best counter to Swampert, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W. If trick room is up, I should outspeed a Rotom with Speed investment. Shadow Ball is the last move since it is my best STAB choice. There's not much I'd change about it but, there are more options.

THREAT LIST
Extremely threatful
Very threatful
Somewhat threatful

Imprison/Trick Room Candelure- After lockin my Trick Room, It can deal Super Effective damae on 2 of my Pokemon and can nearly KO Scrafty. It can be a problem If I dont coose Rotom-W.

eatran- Wile tey only appear every so often, Scrafty is my only real reliable option for one. Rotom can do stuff to it, too. It depends if I make smart selections in team preview.

Zapdos- Zapdos is a problem since it takes neutral or not very effective. from pretty muc everytin I ave. Anoter reason to ave Rock Slide or sometin on someone. Still... Zapdos is would probably be BL if tere was tiers in Doubles (Based on usage, not strengt.)

CLOSING WORDS
All in all, I'd like to say that it's been a real fun time building this team. From a rookie start with only one real strategy, My party has evolved(No pun intended) into a very strategic team. I'm very happy with my work and am hoping to go to my Regionals, but who knows? Anyways, please give me any feedback you might have in mind. Thank you for reading, Bye! - Alan

BONUS: HOW I DID AT REGIONALS SOUTHEAST 2012

I attended my local VGC that was only about 30-40 minutes away from where I live. I was at table 8 in the final round with this team, so I guess I did pretty well. I finished the tourney with 4 wins and 3 losses. I lost to 2 RNGd teams and beat 1 of them. It was all good fun but it may be a few years until I play again in VGCs.

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
RE: [VGC 2012] Downpour of Force

:| I can't believe I don't have single reply. lol

Pokeplayer44

Down with the Metagame.

If you're going to have Hail on Politoed, I think you should change Ice Beam to Blizzard so you can hit both opposing Pokemon with 100% accuracy. With the Zapdos, if you use Hail, you will lose the sure hit with Thunder. I don't know what you should do here because of the Hail you might use to keep from weakening the Heat Wave. Have you tested that much, and if so, how does it work? I like the Bronzong, as most people will probably not see Imprison/Earthquake (I know I wouldn't, at least.)

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

Thanks man. I dropped politoed now and swapped it for cresselia. Gotta update this post.

Red Striker

VGC Trainer

(Gigavolt) Zapdos @ Fire Gem
EVs: 252HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Pressure
Quiet Nature
Moves:
-Roost
-Protect
-Heat Wave
-Thunder

This is a fairly basic Zapdos. I chose Roost to keep Zapdos at a good ammount of health if it is really neccesary. Alongside Bronzong, I can safely Roost as you will see later. Protect is just for longevity and so I can see what they're going for to know if a switch is a good idea or not. This may be switched with Detect, but it's terrible PP will let me only protect 4 times if the opponent has Pressure, and only 3 times if I don't have max PP. Heat Wave is standard since Zapdos's movepool isn't the greatest and Hits both opponents with a 75 base power Fire move. I chose Thunder because now that Politoed is on board, Zapdos can bring massive havoc. It has a --% accuracy in rain so I can hit minimizers, even though they are long and far between. It is much better than Heat Wave's sometimes hax-y accuaracy. (I've battled someone who mised BOTH my Pokémon once.) I've also considered Ancientpower over Protect to counter Volcarona, but it is a little weak and has bad PP.

First of all, keep Protect over Ancient Power. With the power of 60 an no STAB, it won't KO much. Also, I find that Hiddem Power Ice and Tail Win work wonders with Zapdos, though since this appears to be Trick Room, it isn't suggested. HP Ice can get you pretty far in any metagaame, since Dragons have had an uprising in the past few years, and VGC 2012 is no different.

(Fo'Drizzle) Politoed @ Expert Belt
EVs:252 SpA, 144 Spe, 108 Def
Drizzle
Timid Nature
Moves:
-Protect
-Hail
-Ice Beam
-Scald

This is a pretty strange Politoed, but there's a method to my madness. Protect is just for longevity if they also have a weather inducer. Protect can be quite a vital move. Hail serves the purpose of Getting rid of rain so Zapdos can use Heat Wave without the power drop. This is also the reason for the EV choices. I could've done a little less EVs in speed and still outspeed my own Zapdos so I can Hail before he Heat Waves. Ice Beam is a great move and can hit Landorus and Garchomp 4x effective. Scald is my STAB move choice because of it's 80 base power and fairly high burn chance. I never realized how Benificial Politoed would be on this team.

May I ask just why the heck you have Hail on Politoed? Once your own Rain has been negated, how do you plan to get it back up? Switching at time can be very risky at times. Also, Politoed's Base Speed is only 70, so it won't outspeed much. I'd give it the Quiet Nature to take advantage of TR, as well as having your weather active during the beginning of the battle. For Hail, I'd replace it with HP Electric or Grass. With a set that has both Ice and Water moves, you're going to, in this case, need something for Gasrtodon and Swampert, although they aren't as common. The Wacan Berry also helps with Politoed, though since the opponent will likely anticipate this, the Rindo Berry will also be of some use to Politoed.

(REDROOSTER) Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 252HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Technician
Adamant Nature
Moves:
-Roost
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower

This is a pretty great Scizor. It has Roost to heal back it's Life Orb damage or any other damage I really need back. Swords Dance can give me a free boost if I predict a 2 on 1 situation(Both Pokémon attack 1 Pokémon) or if I know Scizor can take a hit. After a Swords Dance, Scizor can deal massive damage. Bullet Punch is pretty much a standard move on Scizor. At 90 power and priority, It is a force to be reckoned with. Superpower is a good move against other Scizor and is a great Tyranitar counter. If Scrafty can Fake Out Tyranitar if I think it has Fire Blast, I can safely remove it from battle. I've considered swapping Swords Dance for X-Scissor since Bug Bite costs way too much BP in HG/SS, but it is just a thought.

One of the standard OU sets. Nothing much to be said here. Moving on (this set doesn't need to be fixed imao).

(Dimensions)Bronzong @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP, 108 Def, 144 SpD
Heatproof
Brave Nature
Moves:
-Imprison
-Trick Room
-Protect
-Earthquake

I originally came up with this type of Bronzong in Red Striker's Competitive Movesets and Metagame: VGC 2012 Edition thread. It is quiet a fantastic Bronzong when played right. Imrison serves more than 1 purpose, it really brings the set together. Imprison and Earthquake blocks off Bronzong's only threatful move. It also lets Zapdos Roost without taking an Earthquake and more than likely being KO'd by the Earthquake. Trick Room succesfully lets me stop Trick Room teams or Inialate Super speedy, Hyper offensive, Destructive Pokémon It just lets me prepare for any opponents. Protect blocks off one of the most popular moves in VGC. This leaves them vulnerable to my attacks and makes for risky switching to avoid Super Effective hits. Earthquake is a good move to block off as stated above. Mental Herb saves me from a Taunt, and 1 save is all I need. I've been thinking of Adding Rock Slide to remove a prominent weakness from Zapdos, but I can't think of anything replaceable. I'm also not sure if it's worth it now that Salamence isn't on the team.

The only thing here that I'd do is replace the Brave Nature with the Relaxed Nature. I notice that you put a lot of emphasis on SDef. With the Ability Heatproof, Earthquake poses a threat. The Relaxed Nature will atleast allow you to survive more of them. I might also replace the Mental Herb with the Sucha Berry in order to reduce EQ damage more.

(I Eat Soap)Rotom Wash @ Wide Lens
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Levitate
Modest Nature
Moves:
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball

This is my long time friend Rotom. He isn't in my favorite form, but it works much better on this team. Will-O-Wisp and a Wide Lens removes most of the hax associated with Will-O-Wisp. This move is fantastic for Hitmontop and other physical threats like Garchomp. Hydro Pump is definetly the best STAB move for Rotom Wash. With a Wide Lens, Hydro Pump's accuracy becomes 90. Thunderbolt is also a fantastic STAB choice and can dent just about any Pokémon. Shadow Ball hits Cresselia and Lati@s hard. Max HP gives Rotom sufficient bulk and some longevity. I've thought about Pain Split, but it's really pricey in HG/SS like every other move.

WoW is nice to have, but the 75 accuracy is extremely unwanted, and it only works well with a certain Prankster mon. If you're still set on using Status Conditions, Thunder Wave can be a crucial friend at times. As for Pain Split, don't bother with it.

(JUDGE)Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Shed Skin
Brave Nature
Moves:
-Rest
-Fake Out
-Drain Punch
-Crunch
This is a pretty basic Scrafty but with some changes. Rest and Shed Skin can prove to be a great combonation. If I get paralyzed etc, I'm good to go with Shed Skin and Flame Body on Chandelure won't be too bad with some luck. Fake Out is a necessary move in doubles. Scrafty's great attack can put a dent in any not bulky Pokémon with Fake Out. Drain Punch is another essential move on Scrafty if Rest is too risky. The last move Crunch provides great STAB and can cover Cresselia and other popular Psychics.

The only thing I'd do here is replace the Leftovers Item with the Chople Berry and Rest with Protect. Yes, you have a recovery move, but it's not like it will gaurd you from a Fighting Gem-Bossted Close Combat from max Att. Hitmontop. Besides, Rest without the Chest/Lum Berry is like leaving Scrafty out there as bait.

Perhaps this team has potential, but you just need to change a lot of what you have going on.

Pokeplayer44

Down with the Metagame.

@ Red Striker: I think you put the wrong berry there. Scrafty is not weak to Fire, which is what the Occa Berry weakens. I think you might have meant Coba (Flying) or Chople (Fighting).

I agree with what he said about Rest though. It doesn't always wake up the turn after, even with Shed Skin (at least when I tested it last year it didn't).
Hope I helped!:p

Red Striker

VGC Trainer

@ Red Striker: I think you put the wrong berry there. Scrafty is not weak to Fire, which is what the Occa Berry weakens. I think you might have meant Coba (Flying) or Chople (Fighting).

Yeah, I meant to say Chople Berry lol. (*FIXED*)

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

ty everyone but I've changed this team since my last post and after about 5 battles, I see chandelure is pretty trheatful. Politoed isn't even on here anymore neither is Scizor. I'll update this ASAP.

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
RE: [VGC 2012] Trick Room and such.

Im tinkin dis team is done for now. IDK if any new stuff will be added. Only 1 week til te tourney.

Pokeplayer44

Down with the Metagame.

If you're that worried about Zapdos, you could test Ice Punch on Metagross or Scrafty. Ice Beam on Cresselia can also help, and if Zapdos uses Tailwind you have Trick Room there to make it backfire. Does Rest really work that well on Scrafty? Anyways, hope this helped someway.:p

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

Pokeplayer44 said:
If you're that worried about Zapdos, you could test Ice Punch on Metagross or Scrafty. Ice Beam on Cresselia can also help, and if Zapdos uses Tailwind you have Trick Room there to make it backfire. Does Rest really work that well on Scrafty? Anyways, hope this helped someway.:p
Yea mite et a smearqle to breed Ice Punc, Drain, and Fake Out. But Itd be a real hassle to et IVs rite on a Smearqle. PLus, Id lose Crunc, a reat move for all te psycic types. Cress as Ice Beam,but Zapdos is rly bulky, too. Rest can be de best and worst. Its only 2 turns normally, and usually 1 or 0 w/ Skin ability. Since my Meta is Shiny and on bw, No ice punc for im. want tutor in BW2!

Pokeplayer44

Down with the Metagame.
RE: [VGC 2012] A Psychic, Pokemon of Steel, a Fighter, and Some Electricity

Ok. Just whatever works, I had no idea what game your Metagross was on. I would keep Crunch on Scrafty over Ice Punch, if you want its moveset to be that.

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

Pokeplayer44 said:
Ok. Just whatever works, I had no idea what game your Metagross was on. I would keep Crunch on Scrafty over Ice Punch, if you want its moveset to be that.

OK ty. any other suggestions? Im trying to get tese guys in tip top shape!

Chrome72

NYAN FLAMETHROWER

Hm..

Well, the team itself looks pretty solid. One thing I have to say is that Bronzong and Metagross are too similar to each other (in type and movesets), so if I were you, I would get rid of Bronzong and throw in Chandelure. Chandelure still has the Imprison/Trick Room moveset, and it works well with all of your Pokemon.

And I see that many people are commenting on how Rest on Scrafty is ineffective in battle, so, and alternative would be Bulk Up. Most people will Protect the first turn because of fear of Fake Out, allowing you to set up the Bulk Up. I've used this set effectively in random matchup.

Since you already have a Pokemon with Shadow Ball (Chandelure), you have one moveslot open for Rotom-W. All I can say is... USE PROTECT. Protect allows you to scout, and sometimes even stall with Will-O-Wisp at times. If you want, you can use Volt Switch instead of T-bolt, or whatever you have, just to troll your opponents.

The rest of your team is good to go, unless I missed something..

Hope this helps a bit! :3

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

Chrome72 said:
Hm..

Well, the team itself looks pretty solid. One thing I have to say is that Bronzong and Metagross are too similar to each other (in type and movesets), so if I were you, I would get rid of Bronzong and throw in Chandelure. Chandelure still has the Imprison/Trick Room moveset, and it works well with all of your Pokemon.

And I see that many people are commenting on how Rest on Scrafty is ineffective in battle, so, and alternative would be Bulk Up. Most people will Protect the first turn because of fear of Fake Out, allowing you to set up the Bulk Up. I've used this set effectively in random matchup.

Since you already have a Pokemon with Shadow Ball (Chandelure), you have one moveslot open for Rotom-W. All I can say is... USE PROTECT. Protect allows you to scout, and sometimes even stall with Will-O-Wisp at times. If you want, you can use Volt Switch instead of T-bolt, or whatever you have, just to troll your opponents.

The rest of your team is good to go, unless I missed something..

Hope this helps a bit! :3

Yea Ive considered Chandelure. and Bronzong hardly gets any use. I used to use Bulk up but without rest, my scrafty can be KOd sometimes for bad reasons and rest has saved me the match many times. OK ill consider Chandelure since it does fit in nicely. I think Bronzon often keeps EQ users away fearing 4 levitaters even thouh he has heatproof, but they dont know how much this impacts an opponents choices . Thanks! I will see about Chandelure... Just the tourney is in 2 days so... i dont know.

Chrome72

NYAN FLAMETHROWER

If you want, PM your FC and I'll trade you a Litwick with Heat Wave.

Oh god the VGC is in two days!! :D So excited!

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.

I got 4 wins 3 losses. Lost to 2 RNGd teams and got haxed in the other! I used a flamethrower chandelure.

Chrome72

NYAN FLAMETHROWER
Nice! It was also possible to get a Heat Wave Chandelure the day before at the TCG competition, but whatevs at least chandelure did its job (...it did, right?).

I finished 6-2, ranking 10th. Battles were hilarious, four of them being a 4-0 sweep for me. :D

I guess I'll be seeing you at the Worlds then, since the Nats are just too far away.

PEACE!!

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
Chrome72 said:
Nice! It was also possible to get a Heat Wave Chandelure the day before at the TCG competition, but whatevs at least chandelure did its job (...it did, right?).

I finished 6-2, ranking 10th. Battles were hilarious, four of them being a 4-0 sweep for me. :D

I guess I'll be seeing you at the Worlds then, since the Nats are just too far away.

PEACE!!

I think sweeps aren't that fun. I like to have more thought put into matches. I'm DEFINITELY not going to worlds, No way am i going to go to Wherever they are just to play a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.