Vespiquen / Flareon

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Flareon / Vespiquen variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post deck lists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
Expanding the Game: A Look at the Expanded Format for Fall Regionals

Vespiquen / Flareon Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 26
  • 4 Flareon (PLF 12)
  • 4 Eevee (RC 14)
  • 4 Vespiquen (AOR 10)
  • 4 Combee (AOR 9)
  • 4 Unown (AOR 30)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
  • 3 More Pokemon
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 22
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Blacksmith
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Silver Bangle
  • 1 Computer Search
Energy: 7
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 3 Fire Energy
Open Spots: 5

Last edited:
How is the Yveltal/Archeops matchup for Bees/Flareon?
Not terrible. The single copy of Hex Maniac (plus four VS Sekeer) gives you a good opportunity to turn off Ancient Power when you need to. Plus Maxie's/Archeops isn't as much of a focus in Yveltal lists as Archie's/Blastoise is in those lists, and it's a little tougher to pull off T1 consistently.

Another approach that was used to great success this weekend at the Lancaster Regional was Wobbufett PHF. If you drop a Float Stone on it, you've created a great pivot to promote following a knockout allowing you to evolve freely that turn before retreating to a fresh attacker. In games that aren't against decks that use Archeops, it's just an extra Pokemon to toss out with Compressor/Ultra Ball.

There's a small risk of starting with it and shutting off your own Shaymin, so I wouldn't run more than one.

How is the Yveltal/Archeops matchup for Bees/Flareon?

With Jolteon, its an easy 1 hit knockout unless he gets out Archeops first turn. Then he can knockout your already ready Vespiquens, so in my opinion Yveltal wins. But Hex Maniac helps. Also, would you consider Leafeon.

I've been seeing many variants of this deck run Wobbuffet...but I still do not know why. Can someone explain? Is it just for the first turn? Thanks.

If Shaymins aren't an option what's the next best thing? 3 Shauna/ +1 N/ Levelball/ more draw/search ?

If Shaymins aren't an option what's the next best thing? 3 Shauna/ +1 N/ Levelball/ more draw/search ?
I think Shaymin EX is very important draw support for this deck which needs a lot of resources to get setup. It is useful in both standard and expanded formats. Most decks carry one or two. I think you could get by with just two shaymin-EX if you add in an additional muscle band.

The best simple alternative I can see is +1 N/+2 Pokemon. More often then not, you need to have enough Pokemon in the discard to streamline OHKOs.

From play testing, I've learned that decks that rely heavily on discarding Pokémon in order to achieve explosive OHKO's (NM and Vespiquen varients), work most consistently with three Shaymin-EX. Having four Shaymin-EX only increases the chances that you start with that Pokémon, which is obviously the last thing you want to happen. Likewise, having only two Shaymin-EX presents the risk of having one or both of them in your Prizes, merely making it impossible to start taking quick OHKO's.

With that said, having any Shaymin-EX on your Bench is always a liability. Parallel City, I found, is the easiest way to get rid of the Shaymin-EX. In the case that you have more than one on your Bench, you have the ability to take them all off at once, whereas AZ can only take one off. Furthermore, using Parallel doesn't waist a Supporter for the turn, which could prove crucial in any close game.

What's the chance this is still viable these days, out of curiosity? In case I ever wanna dip my toes into Expanded.

What's the chance this is still viable these days, out of curiosity? In case I ever wanna dip my toes into Expanded.
It is great deck!!! Unfortunately Karen ruins this deck and night March for everyone. Tpci gave everyone a highly splashable one of counter supporter to undo all Pokemon discarded.

Anyone thinking about running Talonflame? It can get you the perfect setup, granted you start with it, and an energy. And if you don't, you don't even need to count your numbers before thinking about discarding them, so you're less likely to misplay when you have a certain card for a certain matchup that discarding could screw you over in a certain situation. I don't play the deck much, so I could be wrong, but I would like someone who has the deck built to playtest them. I want to know if they'd be good or not.

Wondering if vaporeon and jolteon from aor could make an impact at all?
From experience, Jolteon is simply clutch against yveltal-ex and mega ray decks. Vaporeon is only useful against high hp fire decks, which usually aren't too popular or otherwise successful in expanded. Many decks already run jolteon.

Back