Valve has filed a patent for Half-Life 3

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS

'Iight, so, according to this Neogaf thread, Valve (developers of the ever popular Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Portal, and of course Half-Life) has registered a patent for Half-Life 3. For those who aren't up to date with the gaming world, Half-Life 3 is probably the most anticipated game of all time. Announced back in 2006 as part of an episodic series of games to follow Half-Life 2, the game was delayed, and then seemingly disappeared. Valve has remained silent on progress of the game, and tends to change the subject whenever Half-Life 3 (or Half-Life 2: Episode 3) comes up.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are the highest rated PC games of all time, so it comes to the surprise of no one that Valve would continue the series, where the last entry ended on a major cliffhanger.

As per law, registering a patent requires said register to demonstrate to the public some progress behind the product within a 3 month period, or get extensions that last up to 6 months (5 extensions per patent). This means that we can expect an official Half-Life 3 announcement within the next...3 years or so (yaaaay...?).

And just in case the Neogaf thread goes down (like it has been for the past several hours), someone was nice enough to compile the images into an imgur album. This album can be found here.

Get hyyyyyype.

While I'd certainly like to see Half Life 3 come soon, I'm not excited for it until I see some concrete information on the gameplay.

I heard somewhere that it apparently was a hoax? I was really hoping that this was the real deal, but whatever!

Buizel said:
I heard somewhere that it apparently was a hoax? I was really hoping that this was the real deal, but whatever!

The trademark was a hoax, but the teamlist of people working on the game is not. But that's an old list, and includes people who no longer work at Valve :[

So yeah, it was fake. I'm sad now :[

Back