Ruling Using Hypnotoxic Laser

Blah

DBT
My opponent's active Pokémon is poisoned and asleep (this poison and asleep was put into place by normal means, not some more powerful poison or sleep effect). Am I allowed to play Hypnotoxic Laser?

Pretty funny how this has never come up for me while playing until a few days ago, but I've always thought you could play it since technically the new laser is applying a "new" poison and potentially a "new" sleep. Similar to how, for example, you can take over normal poison with something like Toxicroak EX's poison effect. I was told a few days ago by a well-known player that I'm completely wrong since you are playing a card for no effect, but I wanted to make sure.

Pope

Aspiring Trainer
Wow... So I was completely incorrect here...

From the Rulings Compendium:

Hypnotoxic Laser

Q. If the Defending Pokemon is already Asleep & Poisoned, can you use Hypnotoxic Laser or not?
A. No, you cannot. (Feb 21, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)

EDIT: Correcting a previously incorrect ruling.

Blah

DBT
...that's exactly what I thought.

Brb, I'm off to tell Frank Diaz he was wrong about something >:[

Edit: So, I've received word from the authorities that I'm actually wrong--it is considered playing a card for no effect, and therefore Hypnotoxic Laser could not be played in the situation described.

Pope

Aspiring Trainer
That was news to me... I apologise. Probably should have double checked this myself haha.