• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Unown HAND FTK - *FREE ARTICLE*

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
I've edited enough articles to the point to where I'm thinking, "hey! I know the deal and can write one of these, easy-peasy!" Then I remembered that I ended the season with 40 CP, bombed Dallas Regional with 1-4-1; and that because of my super low seniority on the PokeBeach staff, I'm the one that gets everyone else's complicated Starbucks orders. So while the Premium articles are a "dress shirt and slacks" deal, this is more of a "Hawaiian shirt in an illegal gambling venue". So here we are with a completely blown introduction and a lack of a paywall. And if you're expecting any sort of cool or awesome content beyond this point; grab a bucket because your future is about to be filled with tears.

This article is all about hopes, dreams, and memes. Gotta love those new set spoilers, right? Everyone is clamoring about how Unown DAMAGE has a legit combo that can win games under the assumption that your opponent has an aneurysm and does nothing to stop you. As a former Yugioh player that specialized in heavy draw engine FTKs for five years, I said "DAMAGE sucks. HAND action is where it's at!"

All three of the Unowns require being Active for their Ability to work. One of them requires an opponent having 12 Supporters in the Lost Zone. That Unown sucks. DAMAGE requires 66 damage counters on your side of the field. And HAND requires you to have 35+ cards in your hand. I spent a good part of a week trying to get a HAND first turn kill to work, because I want to play MY way, and not let the opponent play at all. I just want to prove to my opponents how much of a clever boy I am for using something that, on the surface, looks really craptacular--and make them regret it. That's how it worked in Yugioh, I figured it'd work here too.

We are going to look at the finalized decklist and then we'll go into cards that I tried, but ended up not working as a result and how it all worked out.

[premium]

DECKLIST

POKEMON: 1
1 - Unown (HAND)
Unown – Psychic – HP60
Basic Pokemon

Ability: HAND
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, and you have at least 35 cards in your hand, you may choose to win the game.

[P] Hidden Power: 10 damage.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

TRAINERS: 44

4 - Whitney
Whitney – Trainer
Supporter

Draw 1 card. Draw an additional 2 cards for each Whitney in your discard pile (excluding this one).

You can only use 1 Supporter card during your turn (before you attack).

4 - Roller Skates
4 - Battle Compressor
4 - Energy Spinner
Energy Spinner – Trainer
Item

Search your deck for a basic Energy card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. If you go second, on your first turn you may search your deck for up to 3 basic Energy cards instead.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
4 - Random Receiver
4 - Trainer's Mail
4 - Gym Badge
4 - Order Pad
4 - Acro Bike
4 - Reserved Ticket
2 - Professor's Letter

1 - Heat Factory Prism Star
Heat Factory – Trainer
Stadium

You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Once during your turn (before you attack) you may discard a [R] Energy from your hand. If you do, draw 3 cards.

As long as this Stadium is in play, whenever a player uses and Item or Supporter card from their hand, prevent all effects of those cards done to this Stadium.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.

ENERGY: 16
16 - Fire Energy

HOW IT WORKS

Since you only have ONE Pokemon, you're going to automatically have Unown in the active, so that's one step out of the way. Beyond that, you want to draw into Battle Compressor 3 Whitney in the discard pile and Random Receiver into the 4th so you can draw 7 cards right off the bat. From there, just run hot draw like a maniac.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK

Superior Energy Retrieval

The first couple of lists used Superior Energy Retrieval. Primarilly because I'm stupid and that's all I knew. The idea was to use Propogate Exeggcute to bypass permanent discard costs and be able to trade 1 card and get 4 into your hand. This proved to be too complicated because you'd have to get the Energy in the discard pile, then you'd need to have cards to get them out of the discard pile. Even with Shuckle from Lost Thunder that can sack 3 Energy from your deck, the whole idea was convoluted and awful.

Fiery Flint

Someone tipped me off that Fiery Flint in Dragon's Majesty was a thing. It's similar to Superior Energy Retrieval, except you discard 2 and you get 4 Fire Energy from your deck. This seemed fantastic, especially with Exeggcute. The big problem came in the form of drawing too many Fire Energy early on and you'd only be able to get two of them to work when you finally do draw into them. That and you have the extra step of getting Exeggcutes in the discard pile VIA Battle Compressor. Until that happens, Fiery Flint is dead in the hand.

Energy Spinner

This card requires you to go SECOND to get the best use out of it. I'm not worried about NOT getting to go second in round 1 of any match of a regional because everyone who isn't dead behind the eyes wants that first turn to set up.
Okay, stupid, I only need one turn to make this happen. Go ahead and Brigette those Zoruas out.
This card was the best one in the lot because you didn't have the extra step in needing Exeggcutes in the discard pile; Energy Spinner was always a live card.

HOW IT WORKED

This is, by far, the worst waste of time I have ever spent on a deck. Part of it is due to the fact that I didn't have half of these cards and had to hand write a bunch of proxy cards. I only have 4 Fire Energy in my whole collection, so that nonsense got irritating real quick. This was made worse that my handwriting looks like I was incarcerated for 20 years.
I KNOW that Unown's Ability says "35 or more cards". When I wrote the proxy up at 1 in the morning, I ended up writing the worst ‘3’ in the history of writing 3's and it looked like an ambiguous 2. And that's what I ran with for 5 days. I know that somewhere in the PokeBeach chat or Heyfonte, I said something like "I could only get the deck to work in the range of low 20%" when I made the first drafts of the deck and tested it out.
When I realized that I made a massive error that it's NOT 25+ cards, 20% consistency immediately dropped to 0% consistency, and here's why:

Pokemon has done a REALLY good job at making garbage Item-based draw. The fact that I'm maining Roller Skates and Gym Badge should have been HUGE RED FLAGS that this idea sucks and I should stop. But like my first marriage, you just put a smile on your face and hope it gets better over time.

Good Lord, NO!

Let's do some math here:

7 card hand - 1 of them is unown = 53 cards in deck
6 prizes = 47 cards in deck
1 card for initial draw = 46 cards in deck
35 cards for win condition = 11 cards in deck that can afford to be played/discarded

ELEVEN CARDS! That means you have to run ABSOLUTELY HOT with your Gym Badge and Roller Skates plays. After I made the necessary penmanship correction to Unown, I could not get the win condition to work to any point that I'd consider a reaonable success.

And the worst offender of the whole deck was Heat Factory Prism Star, which managed to get prized about 17 games. You were supposed to help, idiot!

If you liked this article, don't forget to smash that Like and Subscribe button. And don't forget to chow down on Diet Mountain Dew and Doritos for game codes.

If I don't get banned from this, I'll see if I can do another one.

--Me

Last edited:
What kinda of article is "I made a deck, it doesn't work if you remember how the card works"

there's a junior at my local league who loves this unown card. but then again we always call him "Master hand", because he is always able to have a hand size of like 20-30 cards quite easily from playing cards like gym badge and Hau in his Lapras GX deck.
9 times out of 10 he doesn't even rank at the end of the event. though he did come 1st once back in like March. The one time I changed my main deck to Pachirisu snuggly generator/ Nuzzle Pikachu. XD

I was going to try and come up with a deck list for this Unown, seeing as my thread on Unown Damage with Wailord/ Weavile/ Klefki loop, did quite well. But it seems you've already beaten me to it. Now all thats left is for someone to come up with a list to win with Unown Missing. *insert thinking face emoji.

there's a junior at my local league who loves this unown card. but then again we always call him "Master hand", because he is always able to have a hand size of like 20-30 cards quite easily from playing cards like gym badge and Hau in his Lapras GX deck.
9 times out of 10 he doesn't even rank at the end of the event. though he did come 1st once back in like March. The one time I changed my main deck to Pachirisu snuggly generator/ Nuzzle Pikachu. XD

I was going to try and come up with a deck list for this Unown, seeing as my thread on Unown Damage with Wailord/ Weavile/ Klefki loop, did quite well. But it seems you've already beaten me to it. Now all thats left is for someone to come up with a list to win with Unown Missing. *insert thinking face emoji.

When they made Unown MISSING, it was like they set fire to a bag of dog poo and ran away for us to deal with it.. Unown MISSING is really bad.

You either have to make a shoddy fire deck and lean heavily on Lysandre Prism Star, or you have to rely on some of the weird stuff in Explosive Impact.

On top of that, you have to be SUPER LUCKY that your opponent runs 12+ supporters. That rules out about 80% of Expanded meta builds, and Standard doesn't look much better as the format looks very Item based.

I'm sure a list can be achieved, but any win condition that relies on something your OPPONENT does NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, works out.

At most, you'll have a chance at beating Beached Whales, Sylveon GX, and Sableye / Garb.

The card is absolute garbage and will ONLY EVER win game 1 if it ever does win. Then your opponent will limit their Supporters for the next two games and rofl-stomp you.

Wailord literally just draw passes every turn until you mill yourself out. It's gg after a couple heads on Handiwork. Sylveon just ribbons for the DCE and slaughters your whole field, never mind the disruption. Sableye will never have twelve Supporters in the discard, but you can hurt them pretty badly by using Girafarig to toss out their good cards.

HAND is a bigger meme than MISSING because it exists in two formats with a LOT of shuffle draw.

ps this isn't even a good meme, it is virtually impossible to reliably hit 20 cards, let alone 35. And just like the other Unown memes it will only work once - sometimes - in a bo3.

HAND I think will be the most viable of the Unknown Win cards because of Zoroark/Magnezone. Dual Brain letting you play two supporters lets you play two big draw supporters, in this 2 Whitneys. Battle Compressor 3 Whitneys, play the 4th for Draw 7, and the VS Seeker Whitney for another Draw 7. Combine that with 3-4 Zoroark Trades (with Egg of course) and you're drawing 20-22 cards in a single turn. All you have to do is end you previous turn with 13-15 cards in hand (easy because Zoroark) and you win. While getting N'd etc. will keep you from winning on your following turn guaranteed, since you're running a normal deck instead of a gimmicked deck you can play normally while your opponent is forced to waste their supporter exclusively on shuffling your hand instead of making bigger supporter plays like Guzma or Colress. And on a turn they whiff shuffling your hand then you win the game

Wailord literally just draw passes every turn until you mill yourself out. It's gg after a couple heads on Handiwork. Sylveon just ribbons for the DCE and slaughters your whole field, never mind the disruption. Sableye will never have twelve Supporters in the discard, but you can hurt them pretty badly by using Girafarig to toss out their good cards.

Those decks were the only ones I could think of that easily run above 12+ Supporters. I thought Sableye Garb ran a lot more than it does. Oops.

ps this isn't even a good meme, it is virtually impossible to reliably hit 20 cards, let alone 35. And just like the other Unown memes it will only work once - sometimes - in a bo3.

Yeah, Its no Guzzlord GX. The problem with this is that if it was remotely viable, it would actually get played in some sort of competitive capacity and it wouldn’t be a meme anymore. On the other hand, it fails miserably and nothing beco
But someone had to be the biggest idiot in the room and give this a spin. I elected myself to be that idiot, and I’m glad it’s not viable. I’m a bit sad becausenid be super cheap to make for Dallas.

Back