Pokémon Uncommon Pokémon Sets

DeadlyScyther

Aspiring Trainer
Post any uncommon Pokémon sets you come across while battling or which you create yourself in this thread for feedback! Baiting and unpredictability and important strategies in Pokémon. :)

Found this neat kricketune build where the guy used kricketune as a parish song trapper.

Kricketune is one of my favorite Pokemon and would like to input of the possible competitive play of this build before I start to breed and EV train.

Moveset
  • Parish Song
  • Sing
  • Protect
  • Infestation

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Palutena

The Queen
That's probably the best you could manage with Kricketune.

Try this as a full set:

Kricketune @ Grip Claw
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Infestation
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Heal Bell (really this last slot doesn't matter since Kricketune won't last more than 3 turns but Heal Bell does cool stuff for your team)

DeadlyScyther

Aspiring Trainer
Made a video about someone elses battle and they used a off support lucatio.

Move-set:
Bullet Punch
Super Power
Roar
Follow Me

Last edited by a moderator:

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid
I'm sorry, but what exactly is the point of this thread? All you did is link a video and mention a pokemon/its moves. That aside, I'm lost on a few other things as well:

Fist off, what exactly do you mean by "off support"? I have never seen that term used, nor is it entirely self-explanatory. If it's what I think you mean, there's a much better term for the role.

Second: there are a number of inaccuracies in the video - all of which could have been avoided by either:
(1) watching the video in advance (possibly taking notes, as well), THEN recording a commentary
(2) doing a quick review of the typing/name of each mon the "Ice/Dragon type" is Black Kyurem and Giratina is Dragon/Ghost, not Dragon/Dark.

Lastly: I get that this is not your set, but lacking any EVs/nature makes a set hard to analyze. It's clear the player using the legendaries has no clue what he's doing, but jsut the moves on the Lucario isn't much help.

iSharingan

It's a very niche set. For that pair kinda it works, but an experienced opponent in an organized format (IE: OU Doubles/VGC) would destroy it. Lucario doesn't have the bulk to use Follow Me more than once or twice, much less reliably Roar out opponents (as boosting rarely happens in VGC due to the rapid pace and average life of 2-3 turns per mon). I can provide precise examples of common threats that can do this if you want - or you can take my word for it. Up to you.

I was not telling you how to do anything. I was merely offering observations to help improve your presentation, if you were willing to consider them. Please think before lashing out in blind (and extremely uninformed) butt-hurt anger. I was not being malicious: just trying to clarify. I am a tutor here on the site, anyway. I know what I'm talking about and I'm simply offering advice.

Lastly, you can edit posts. No need for double posting. Again, just informing you of options.

Edit: in retrospect I think I see what you meant: Offensive-Support Lucario. If the EVs were present, Bulky Attacker might be a better term, but in any case just "Support" would suffice for those moves. Support doesn't exclude offensive moves. It just means the primary role is to aid allies who will do the heavy hitting.

Last edited:

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Sorry DeadlyScyther, but iSharingan is right, please be able to handle criticism from other members, after all, as long as it's good criticism, it's advice. The set is very niche and doesn't really offer much except for Lucario's assured death, as Lucario isn't bulky enough to really use Follow Me, and with the influx of Kyogre and Groudon, both of which having signature moves that hit both of your Pokemon, makes Follow Me only situational. Adding onto that, most Xerneas use Dazzling Gleam, and Mega Khan will probably be trying to take Lucario out anyways, which it will most likely successfully do. Smeargle has Dark Void, which will put both of your Pokemon to sleep, Mega Salamence can carry Hyper Voice, which will be Flying and hit both Pokemon as well, and if Salamence was sent out before it Mega Evolved, well, you're at -1 Atk. I'm only listing some of the most common Pokemon encountered in VGC, and I haven't even mentioned Mega Rayquaza yet, which is also one of the biggest threats in doubles.

Listen, it's great that you want to come up with your own movesets, I'm the same way, custom sets are great :) but, this set is defeated by the most commonly encountered Pokemon that you'll be facing in doubles. However, iSharingan is not only a tutor, but experienced with making custom movesets, probably even the most experienced on site! He can definitely help improve your ability to create custom movesets if that is your goal.

If you're firm on the set than all I can do is recommend using Helping Hand over Roar and perhaps Drain Punch or Mach Punch over Super Power, albeit I think offensive Lucario is better, and even then there is a better Pokemon in doubles that can fulfill the same role; Togekiss, which also gets Tailwind, Roost, Air Slash, Thunder Wave, and Fire Blast.

Lastly, please edit the moveset you posted and any future movesets in this format:

Lucario @ Item
Nature
EVs
IVS (if in-game)
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

And explain why you chose the moves your Pokemon has, what they do, and what it is your wanting the set overall to do, if you have any questions, feel free to ask any of us :)

Last edited:

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Most of what I have to say is covered by @iSharingan and @Equinox. I will say that I'd actually consider Close Combat instead of Superpower because you don't lose attack power which is important for Lucario to have. Roar also is not a good move on Lucario because of Lucario's subpar defenses. It also is almost never used in doubles anyway in this format because so much damage can be done in a single hit. Ice Punch would be much more useful because then Lucario is able to do much more against Rayquaza, Salamence, and other Pokemon weak to ice.

Regarding the video itself: avoid using curse words as much as possible. Remember that there are young viewers as well, not just those of age. It also doesn't make it professional sounding. If you have an idea of stats, you should be better able to predict how much damage attacks will do. Right away I knew Lucario would be losing well over half its HP from Black Kyurem's Fusion Bolt. It also doesn't seem like you are fully into it. Make your audience believe you are excited.

I also used to tutor players in the past and have battled competitively against other players since the DPP era.

DeadlyScyther

Aspiring Trainer
Saw this video the other day where a hitmontop did really well against OU and was able to carry the match for the most part. From the video you can tell that its moves are as follows:

Close Combat
Wide Guard

prob runs a rapid spin as well.

Just curious other peoples opinions on this Pokemon and its use in the current meta.

iSharingan

Unfortunately, that's not OU. If it was singles, it still wouldn't be OU considering every member (on both sides) bar Hitmontop and Smeargle are classified as Ubers (and are banned from OU play). That's VGC 2016 and Hitmontop is actually very useful in the VGC format (albeit less common). In any case VGC doesn't really have split tiers like other formats. VGC 2016 is rather unique in that for the first time in many years, many legendaries previously banned from the format are now allowed (though with some limits still in place).

I must say the Lum berry was an interesting choice - and it definitely payed off in that battle. I can personally guarantee that Hitmontop did not have Rapid Spin, though, as Hazards (Stealth Rock/Spikes/etc) simply are not used in VGC due to the fast pace and limited switching (as even this video illustrates).

As the other two mons of each team are not present (of course that's to be expected, as the match abides by VGC rules) I cant say for certain, but that Kyogre team does seem a tad more odd-ball than usual Kyogre teams as Rayquaza was not present to negate Groudon's weather. It is possible it was still on the team and just not selected, though (and this may have been a second/third match, thus each side was trying to be a little less predictable to net the win. Then again, assuming no speed tie, the Kyogre was slower, so it could also be minimum speed (though that's odd, considering it runs Water Spout, which relies on high HP. a slow Kyogre almost always takes a hit prior to using its move).

The Groudon is also slightly odd in that it runs Earth Power. Unless it's a mixed attacker (which is not unheard of), SAtk Groudon misses out on many key KOs in exchange for the ability to KOing opposing Groudon a little more easily (opposing Groudon with full HP investment make it only a small improvement, though). Pertaining to this scenario, though, Precipice Blades still does more damage to Kyogre, though, even when hitting a second target [vs mixed Groudon's Earth Power] (hitting 2+ targets with a move in doubles/triples reduces damage by 25%).

In all VGC 2016 is one of the most interesting formats since it's so centralized around roughly the top 6-8 pokemon. In a situation like that, recognizing a common weakness or a strategy that exploits the most common strategies can let the unexpected take the win (though considerable skill is still needed)

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I really enjoy using Choice scarf Bisharp with Pursuit. Although CS Tyranitar is the more common option for a fast pursuit user to destroy Lati@s and Gengar, Bisharp is much better at luring them to stay in for trying to use EQ/HP Fire/Focus Blast.

iSharingan

Isn't the point of Pursuit to hit them as they switch out (for double the damage if they stayed in - and at +7 priority, I might add)? Speed is often irrelevant on Bisharp, anyway, as it can carry Sucker Punch to (1) have priority and (2) hit harder if a mon stays in and attacks (requires better prediction, ofc). Tyranitar can get away with a scarf more because of it's decent typing and bulk (and that Lati@s will sometimes stay in and try to EQ/Surf, hoping to at least deal some damage before going down in flames).

I dunno. Maybe it's just because I haven't had much success with anything but Focus Sash Bisharp. I was aware of things like Lati@s/Gengar/etc staying in on Bisharp and trying to take it out, but as I said; Sucker Punch did the job 9 times out of 10 where Pursuit may not have OHKOd when they failed to switch (IE: vs full HP mega Lati@s)

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Isn't the point of Pursuit to hit them as they switch out (for double the damage if they stayed in - and at +7 priority, I might add)? Speed is often irrelevant on Bisharp, anyway, as it can carry Sucker Punch to (1) have priority and (2) hit harder if a mon stays in and attacks (requires better prediction, ofc). Tyranitar can get away with a scarf more because of it's decent typing and bulk (and that Lati@s will sometimes stay in and try to EQ/Surf, hoping to at least deal some damage before going down in flames).

I dunno. Maybe it's just because I haven't had much success with anything but Focus Sash Bisharp. I was aware of things like Lati@s/Gengar/etc staying in on Bisharp and trying to take it out, but as I said; Sucker Punch did the job 9 times out of 10 where Pursuit may not have OHKOd when they failed to switch (IE: vs full HP mega Lati@s)

It is also good against Weavile and Mega Diancie. (outspeeding both and OHKO). Pursuit is only for a weakened Latios. When Latios is in full HP I just OHKO with Knock Off- No need for mind games with Sucker Punch.

iSharingan

Makes sense. I may have to try that now (last time I used Bisharp seriously was pre-ORAS, so Knock Off wasn't legal for a gen 6 native one).

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
CS Bisharp isn't a bad set. It can guarantee the faster hit on Substitute users like Gengar and Serperior, and it can check Weavile and opposing Bisharp. Unlike TTar, it can somewhat Pursuit M-Metagross.
In general though, I'd say that CS Tyranitar brings more to the table. I'd only run CS Bisharp if I had a desperate weakness to Serperior and/or Weavile.

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
^ Actually, I retract that statement. 99% of the time you'll just be wishing you have CB Weavile. Not to say it doesn't have its niche, but so do other terrible mons.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: Tailor to needs
Adamant Nature
- Bulk-up
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Smackdown

This can be surprisingly effective due to the match-ups Lando-T typically has.
One of the more common counters is Rotom-W, who is in deep trouble if it comes in while you Substitute. It's forced to use Hydro Pump which gives you time to Smackdown + EQ for the KO. Opposing Lando-T have a much tougher time and non-SD versions can't break you due to Bulk Up. Skarmory will lose if it doesn't have Whirlwind, although it will be a longer war and the hazards it can stack up during this might not be worth it.