Help Ultra Prism Luxray Volt Bolt

Unit Energy counts as a lightning energy when attached so it would be discarded by Volt Bolt.
Not true its counts as lighting metal or physic energy. So if you have 3 unit energys on luxray. You only have to discard 2. If you have 2 lighting and 1 unit. You dont have to discard the unit energy. If you have 1 lighting and 2 unit energys you only have to discard 1 unit energy. During attack you have to decide what energys the unit energys are. Sence the attack costs 2 lighting and colorless. You have to fulfill the attack cost.

Not true its counts as lighting metal or physic energy. So if you have 3 unit energys on luxray. You only have to discard 2. If you have 2 lighting and 1 unit. You dont have to discard the unit energy. If you have 1 lighting and 2 unit energys you only have to discard 1 unit energy. During attack you have to decide what energys the unit energys are. Sence the attack costs 2 lighting and colorless. You have to fulfill the attack cost.

I'm pretty sure Unit Energy counts as all 3 types of energy it represents at once, only it provides 1 unit of energy.

Correct 1 energy at a time is key word. So if you have 3 on luxray them you can decide which energy each is. So you can decide 2 of the 3 are lighting and 1 is metal. So you will only have to discard 2 unit energys. So going by the wording of luxray it says to discard all lighting energy. Sence you decided only 2 are lighting and 1 is metal it is metal for the attack and you dont have to discard it.

We had a similar issue with this regarding Prism Energy and Raikou-EX's Volt Bolt when the latter came out, you have to discard the Prism Energy because it fills ALL of those energy needs. The "1 Energy at a time" part refers to Energy units (think DCE, it fills two Energy units but only provides Colorless Energy).

Correct 1 energy at a time is key word. So if you have 3 on luxray them you can decide which energy each is. So you can decide 2 of the 3 are lighting and 1 is metal. So you will only have to discard 2 unit energys. So going by the wording of luxray it says to discard all lighting energy. Sence you decided only 2 are lighting and 1 is metal it is metal for the attack and you dont have to discard it.

No, not quite. You don't decide which energy Unit Energy LPM provides, it represents all 3 of those types at all times. The "provides 1 energy" is to prevent any confusion that it provides 3 energies (i.e. one Lightning, one Psychic, and one Metal).

Not ruling that was done at reginals.

While this card is attached to a Pokémon, it provides L , P, and M Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time.

Is card text.
So it only provides 1 energy at a time.
I look up ruling and every instance. Says you can if you choose but you dont have too. As long as you discarded 2 lighting sence the attack req 2 lighting and 1 colorless. So if you had 2 lighting and 4 unit energys on it you can choose whether you want to discard card it. It works the same with special energy. Which is reference alot in the offical rulings.

Last edited:
Not ruling that was done at reginals.

While this card is attached to a Pokémon, it provides L , P, and M Energy but provides only 1 Energy at a time.

Is card text.
So it only provides 1 energy at a time.
I look up ruling and every instance. Says you can if you choose but you dont have too. As long as you discarded 2 lighting sence the attack req 2 lighting and 1 colorless. So if you had 2 lighting and 4 unit energys on it you can choose whether you want to discard card it. It works the same with special energy. Which is reference alot in the offical rulings.

The important wording of Unit Energy as you state there is “AND”. You do not choose what the energy is worth at any time. It is always worth all three types, but is only a value of one energy. The one at a time means that it doesn’t count as three energy when fufilling a quantity cost not that it can be declared what type it is at any time. When attached, they count as L, P, AND M energy.
Also Luxray does not let you choose what energy you discard, you must discard all L energy, which would include the Unit Energy since those count as L energy. Not all rulings done by judges in tournaments are perfect.

The important wording of Unit Energy as you state there is “AND”. You do not choose what the energy is worth at any time. It is always worth all three types, but is only a value of one energy. The one at a time means that it doesn’t count as three energy when fufilling a quantity cost not that it can be declared what type it is at any time. When attached, they count as L, P, AND M energy.
Also Luxray does not let you choose what energy you discard, you must discard all L energy, which would include the Unit Energy since those count as L energy. Not all rulings done by judges in tournaments are perfect.
This is all true. Unit Energy doesn't let you choose which Energy it actively is. It provides all 3 types at the same time, exactly like Rainbow Energy.

If this is official ruling, then Unit Energy is hella busted, but I'm sure not getting my hopes up.
If he heard it from a judge then it's more than likely an error on the judge's part, like I said earlier a similar ruling involving Rainbow Energy was covered in the Compendium (of which I'm still not sure if linking to is okay).
Q. If I have an attack that says to discard a Fire Energy and a Water Energy, may I discard a single Rainbow Energy card or Multi Energy card to satisfy that requirement?
A. No, even though Rainbow and Multi provide all energy types simultaneously, they only provide one unit of energy. You can discard it for either the Fire or the Water, but you would still need to discard at least one additional card of the required type. (Dec 11, 2008 PUI Rules Team)
The key wording is "all energy types simultaneously" if that's true for Rainbow energy then it's safe to assume that Unit Energy LPM provides Lightning, Psychic, and Metal Energy at all times too.

Back