• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format (ULP-REC) Milotic V

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
With what I can only presume to be a mostly complete set list for Rebel Crash now at my disposal, what immediately stood out to me was Milotic V, which is not only a very high-ranking pokemon for me personally, but also utilizes a novel damage-ramping mechanic, which I can't help but adore. With all the pieces in place, this is the list I made for it.

Pokemon (15):
  • Milotic V (4)
Milotic V – Water – HP210
Basic Pokemon

[W][C][C] Aqua Impact: 10+ damage. This attack does 50 more damage for each [C] in your opponent’s Active Pokemon’s Retreat Cost.

[W][C][C][C] Hypno Splash: 150 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Asleep.

When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2
  • Absol TEU (2)
  • Snom (3)
  • Frosmoth (3)
  • Dedenne GX (2)
  • Eldegoss V (1)
Eldegoss V – Grass – HP180
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Happy March
Once during your turn, when you play this card from your hand to your Bench, you may put a Supporter card from your discard pile into your hand.

[C][C] Soar Upward: 50 damage. You may shuffle this Pokemon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
Trainer (32):
  • Cynthia (3)
  • Professor’s Research (2)
  • Crasher Wake (1)
  • Boss’s Orders (2)
Boss’s Orders – Trainer
Supporter

Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon and switch it with their Active Pokemon.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
  • Galar Mine (4)
Galar Mine – Trainer
Stadium

The Retreat Cost of each Active Pokemon (both yours and your opponent’s) is [C][C] more.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.
  • Viridian Forest (1)
  • Full Bucket (2)
#63 Full Bucket – Trainer
Item

Search your deck for 2 [W] Energy, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).
  • Quick Ball (4)
  • Ordinary Rod (2)
  • Tool Scrapper (2)
Tool Scrapper – Trainer
Item

Discard up to 2 Pokemon Tools from either player’s Pokemon.

You may play as many Item cards during your turn as you like (before your attack).
  • Buff Padding (4)
  • Evolution Incense (2)
  • Switch (4)
Energy (13):
  • Water (10)
  • Capture (1)
Capture Energy – Special Energy

This card provides [C] Energy only while attached to a Pokemon.

When attaching this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon, search your deck for a Basic Pokemon and put it on your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.
  • Aurora (2)

The novel damage ramping mechanic that Milotic uses is a retreat-based ramp, doing 50 extra damage per energy in the opposing active's retreat cost. If this were introduced last set, it would have been really bad, since Rebel Crash introduces the crux of why this deck could be good: Galar Mine. Galar Min eincreases both active's retreat cost by 2, which improves Milotic's prospects significantly. In addition to making the majority of the damage Milotic deals an OHKO on relevant pokemon, to be broken down later, Galar Mine also converts Milotic's own retreat cost to 4, making Buff Padding a suddenly viable option of improving survivability against relevant opponents like Zacien V or ReshiZard.

The engine of choice to support Milotic V in the deck is, obviously, Frosmoth. With one in play, an energy that was previously in my hand in addition to a full Bucket can completely charge up a Milotic v in one turn, which can be incredibhly useful after one gets knocked out. I play Crasher Wake to search out cards I need, for instance a water energy and Full Bucket if I need to charge Milotic, or pulling out Absol and Dedenne GX for a much-needed hand reset. Ordinary Rod is my recovery option of Choice over something like Brock's Grit or Energy Recycler because I like to have versatility in what I can grab, and having the option to recover without using my supporter slot.

For general Matchups, I believe that the use of Absol and Mine improve the damage output significantly to the point where the card becomes viable. For instance, Zacien V, beofre modifiers, has 220 HP and would take 110 damage from Milotic's attack. However, with an Absol and Galar Mine in play, Zacien takes an extra 150 damage, totaling 260, which will take the knockout even after considering either Full Metal Wall GX is active or a Metal Frying Pan is attached. On the chance that both are in play, however, the use of Tool Scrapper or playing the second Absol will fix the number nicely.

The only problems this deck may face are decks that can A) hit it for weakness and B) decks that center around low-retreat VMAX pokemon, mainly Morpeko. Any Lightning deck, with all the tools they have at their disposal, from Thunder Mountain Prism Star and Electropower to Tapu Koko V/Prism Star and Speed Lighting Energy, is going to be challenging for Milotic V to deal with due to their ability to hit it so hard for so little investment. I believe that there is a Fighting type Quagsire in the format that attacks for Water energy that could work to patch this issue, but I'm not sure if that's the case, or whether it's worth considering here. In a similar but less threatening vein, VMAX pokemon, with their egregious HP and immunity to Absol's ability, will be a struggle for any deck, this included, that focuses primarily on dealing OHKO level damage. Particularly, Dragapult and Morpeko VMAX are the most concerning here, because a maximum 3 retreat cost is only dealing enough for a 2HKO, sometimes just barely (in the case of Dragapult). Other VMAX that have similarly low retreat costs in the future will also present an issue for the same reason.

Back