Ruling Tyrunt and Fossils

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I have a question about Jaw Fossil. Can you put a Tyrunt from Forbidden Light onto your bench with the effects of Jaw Fossil? Also can Tyrantrum Forbidden Light evolve from both Tyrunt cards?

Jaw Fossil is Expanded (Furious Fists), probably better to stick with Unidentified Fossil, and Tyrantrum can evolve from either Tyrunt.

(i.e. If you had a Psychic Slowpoke and evolved it to a Water Slowking or evolved a Slowpoke from an old set (that was then reprinted) into a current set Slowking))

Hope that helped! :)

Last edited:
Tyrunt from Forbidden Light is a Stage 1 that can only evolve from an Unidentified Fossil, so Jaw Fossil wouldn't allow you to take one from your deck and put it onto the bench as the card says to do. The previous Tyrunt could only be played to the bench with the effect of a Jaw fossil as was started on the card

(https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:TyruntFuriousFists61.jpg)

Last edited:
Tyrunt from Forbidden Light is a Stage 1 that can only evolve from a fossil, so Jaw Fossil wouldn't allow you to take one from your deck and put it onto the bench as the card says to do.

I forgot that Tyrunt's a Stage 1 :/
Silly me

Thanks! I was thinking about trying either a Tyrantrum of Rampardos deck in expanded. Korrina can really boost these decks. Too bad you can't combine fossils.

Also just curious about the ruling. I assume you can't use Fossil Researcher to put a Tyrunt Forbidden Light on the bench either?

I assume you can't use Fossil Researcher to put a Tyrunt Forbidden Light on the bench either?

You won't be able to do that, either. The language on Fossil Researcher says "Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of Amaura or Tyrunt and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward."

You can't put the Forbidden Light card onto your bench because it's a stage 1, and that means you also can't just place it on a basic it would play from. To play this to your bench at all it would have to say something along the lines of "and place it on one of your basic Pokemon" (or in this case a fossil that's played to the bench as one)

Last edited:
Why not? Fossil Researched doesn't specify "basic" or "restored," it just says the name of the Pokemon. There is no reason from the wording of the card why you could not put a Forbidden Light Tyrunt on the bench, or why the older fossil items couldn't be used to bypass the Unidentified Fossil. It's similar to Archie's Ace in the Hole in that it lets you skip over normal evolution rules. It may not be what was intended, but based on the wording of the cards, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Why not? Fossil Researched doesn't specify "basic" or "restored," it just says the name of the Pokemon. There is no reason from the wording of the card why you could not put a Forbidden Light Tyrunt on the bench, or why the older fossil items couldn't be used to bypass the Unidentified Fossil. It's similar to Archie's Ace in the Hole in that it lets you skip over normal evolution rules. It may not be what was intended, but based on the wording of the cards, there's no reason it shouldn't work.
Yea you can he is wrong and has never heard of maxie and archie cards before apparently

Last edited:
Other judges are telling me that yes, you can use Fossil Researcher on the new Tyrunt, and it's going to count as an "unevolved" Pokemon for purposes of gameplay (can't use devolution spray on it even though Stage 1 is printed on the card)

Yea you can he is wrong and has never heard of maxie and archie cards before apparently

Next time try to actually be helpful and not just write something crass. Come to rulings threads to help us to solve problems -otherwise you're not helping either Robin, myself, or anyone else on PokeBeach.

Other judges are telling me that yes, you can use Fossil Researcher on the new Tyrunt, and it's going to count as an "unevolved" Pokemon for purposes of gameplay (can't use devolution spray on it even though Stage 1 is printed on the card)

Next time try to actually be helpful and not just write something crass. Come to rulings threads to help us to solve problems -otherwise you're not helping either Robin, myself, or anyone else on PokeBeach.
Actually before your first reply I said that you can in fact use fossil researcher then you followed up and said you can't I was merely agreeing with the person who also said you could so that Robin would know who was correct or not.

I think both are yes.
The wording of Jaw Fossil says: “Look at the bottom 7 cards of your deck. You may reveal a Tyrunt you find there and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.”
The new Tyrunt is still named “Tyrunt” and so it is a valid target. However, the old one can’t evolve from Unidentified fossil

I think both are yes.

Peers are saying that we should just do what the card says we should do. I'll withdraw my rulings unless I hear different. What's stumping me is that Tyrunt from Forbidden Light now counts as a Stage 1 according to the card and that it would go right to the bench. It deserves a look at.

@Robin Aisaga So you can have stage one benched Pokemon. Compendium rulings have been made where stage 1 Pokemon, on their own, are on the bench. So you can play Jaw Fossil and Fossil Researcher and get a Forbidden Light Tyrunt straight to your bench. Tyrunt "can only evolve from an Unidentified Fossil" but since he's not evolving and just getting into play this should work. I'm sorry for the bad information from earlier.

Correct. It will still count as an "evolution" Pokemon but not an "evolved" Pokemon, because it did not come into play by evolving. So it wouldn't be a valid target for Devolution Spray, and by the same token, an opponent's Miraculous Shine attack by Espeon-EX (BKP 52) would have no effect on it, nor would Porygon-Z's (BUS 105) Initialize ability.

Back