Tyrantrum-EX / Bronzong

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Tyrantrum-EX variants in the Expanded format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:

Tyrantrum / Bronzong Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Bronzong (PHF 61)
  • 4 Bronzor (NXD 75)
  • 2 Tyrantrum-EX (PR 70)
  • 2 Giratina-EX (AOR 57)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
  • 1 Aegislash-EX (PHF 65)
  • 1 Keldeo-EX (BCR 142)
  • 1 Hoopa-EX (AOR 36)
Trainers: 28
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 N
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Skyfield
  • 1 Faded Town
Energy: 12
  • 7 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 1 Fighting Energy
Open Spots: 4

There is a strong case to be made for Tropical Beaches inclusion. The deck doesn't set up in one turn, and a Tropical Beach draw after T1/2 can have enormous benefits during the early stages of the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing 2 Beach alongside 2 Sky Field.

There is a strong case to be made for Tropical Beaches inclusion. The deck doesn't set up in one turn, and a Tropical Beach draw after T1/2 can have enormous benefits during the early stages of the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing 2 Beach alongside 2 Sky Field.
This actually makes a lot of sense. The lists that I've seen have run Faded Town but that seems like a meta call. Great point!

Cobalion-EX warrants an inclusion imho. It can make dents in opposing pokes for one energy and potentially undo their progress via the special energy attachments that happen before Giratina gets set up. Helps in the mirror match (again due to the first attack), and the second attack can come in clutch against several abilities.

Last edited:
Wish there was a standard version of this thread, especially since a Standard version of this metadeck, surprisingly, won me an Expanded PTCGO tourney, although I almost fell just shy of first place due to time remaining running low!

^ But I barely managed to pull off first place, thanks to my foe's mistake of trying to attack Aegislash-EX w/ a Strong Energy, w/ a Machamp on the field as well, with 2 prizes left on my side to take(meaning 1 EX KO needed to win)...

Had he not attached that strong energy before attacking w/ Corkscrew Smash for KO(which would be blocked by Aegislash's ability if the SE was attached(provided Hex Maniac was not used prior to that same attack), which happened in my case), especially since my Aegislash had only 70 HP left, I would have had to hurry up, get Zoroark(Yes, I missed putting in my Keldeo before the tourney entry) out to active to replace the KO'd Aegislash, attach the 2 metal energies via metal links to my Giratina-EX w/ DDE attached already, then retreat Zoroark, using its Float Stone, to make way for the finishing blow from Giratina-EX, all in a half-minute, but given the new PTCGO changes, I'm afraid that might be insanely hard to pull off, maybe impossible...

Strong case for Pokemon Fan Club/Brigette here as a 1-of, as it gets Bronzors out quickly... Shame that in the case of Brigette, it goes directly to bench, meaning no put-down ability activation, in case the only Basics you find in your deck are EXes like Shaymin and Hoopa... :(

In the case of Standard, since Colress was rotated out of Standard, I replaced him w/ one additional Sycamore and two Professor Birch's Observations... I replaced N(rotated out of Standard as well) w/ PFC, although I believe that if I remembered it, I could've put in Judge instead...

^ But that's just my take...

Thanks for the skeleton!

PS, with a 2-2 line of Zoroark(BKT), I wonder if this deck could become T1 Standard in future? However, that's a story for another day...

Last edited:
I highly doubt this will turn tier 1 anytime soon. I don't see the point of 4 Bronzor, since that means you'll most likely start with him, and I really think you should take out Hoopa for Heavy Ball, since Heavy Ball grabs way more stuff. And as for standard, I'd probably use this as the skeleton:

Pokémon:16
Tyrantrum-EX x2
Giratina-EX x2
Latios-EX x1
Aegislash-EX x1
Bronzor Phf x3
Bronzong x3
Zoroark BKT x1
Zorua x1
Shaymin-EX x1
Jirachi PCL x1

Trainers: