Twist Mountain (Dark Rush)

Does Twist Montain Make Revived Pokemon Playable?

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • It won't make Revived Pokemon "broken" but it will make them better.

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Twist Mountain – Stadium

Each player may flip a coin once during his or her turn. If heads, he or she choose 1 Revived Pokemon card from his or her hand and plays it onto his or her Bench.

You can only bring 1 Stadium card into play during your turn. If a Stadium with a different name comes into play, discard this card.

69/69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aerodactyl – Fighting – HP90
Revived Pokemon – Play Aerodactyl on your Bench with the effect of Old Amber

Ability: Primal Scream
As long as this Pokemon is in play, your Pokemon’s attacks do an additional 10 damage to any Active Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Wing Attack: 40 damage.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

39/69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archeops – Fighting – HP130
Stage 1 – Evolves from Archen

Ability: Prehistoric Power
As long as this Pokemon is in play, neither player can play any Pokemon from their hand to Evolve a Pokemon.

[F][F][C] Rock Slide: 60 damage. Choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon, and this attack also does 10 damage to those Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

75/69

At the moment, Revived pokemon like Archeops aren't used very often due to their slow and luck based set up. Plus you need a trainer which gives you a chance of getting the Revived Pokemon. When Dark Rush comes out, will Revived Pokemon be usable with the use of Twist Mountain (read scan above). Not only will Revived Pokemon be able to get set up under trainer lock, but you can try to get a Revived Pokmon on your bench each turn, rather than always needing a fossil card. The down side is that you have to flip a coin, that you have to have the Revived Pokemon in your hand. Twist Mountain could assist decks like Reshiphlosion under trainer lock with Aerodactyl and possibly help lock decks or 6 corners with Archeops. Give your thoughts and be sure to answer the poll. Thanks and bye for now. (In case you don't understand what Twist Mountain, Archeops, and Aerodactyl do, have posted scans above for them. Aerodactyl and Twist Mountain are in Dark Rush, and I just used the Shiny Archeops from Dark Rush for convenience. Archeops is already out in Noble Victories)

Captain Oats

I'm worse than you at TCG.
You play Archen from your hand with Twist Mountain, not Archeops, and you can't play the stadium card in trainer lock decks. If they get a T2 Plume, you will have to get it out T1 (or T2 if you go first).

It's still a flippy/gimmicky mechanic and this isn't fixing that. It's just them admitting they screwed up fossils really badly and trying to fix it without going back to how it was. Getting a fossil in your hand isn't a problem, but you risk slowing yourself down when you spend something like p. com searching for an Archen and then missing the flip.

Porygon-X

There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Captain Oats said:
You play Archen from your hand with Twist Mountain, not Archeops, and you can't play the stadium card in trainer lock decks. If they get a T2 Plume, you will have to get it out T1 (or T2 if you go first).

Trainer lock blocks Items - you can still use Supporters and Stadiums.

I DO think that it makes the Revived Pokemon better, but I don't think it'll make Archeops viable, especially with all the basic EXs coming.

Aerodactyl though... We'll see.

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
Aerodactyl, Aerodactyl, Aerodactyl. Maybe Archeops as a tech, but by all means Aerodactyl.

If it's stackable, hey, fill up 2 or 3 bench spaces with it (or as many as you need) and you'll be hitting for 20-30 more damage/turn, which is huge, particularly if you're playing something like Magnezone that already has variable (but not exact) damage output.

This will give a huge boost to Aerodactyl at the very least– it won't be played in every deck, but it will impact the metagame.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Captain Oats said:

It's still a flippy/gimmicky mechanic and this isn't fixing that. It's just them admitting they screwed up fossils really badly and trying to fix it without going back to how it was. Getting a fossil in your hand isn't a problem, but you risk slowing yourself down when you spend something like p. com searching for an Archen and then missing the flip.

I understand that Twist Mountain plays Archen not Archeops, but I meant that it helps get Archeops in play, cause lets face it, you obviously need Archen. :p. Plus you CAN play Stadiums under trainer lock. I do agree with you that it is their silly way of fixing their mistake though.

Scizorliscious said:
Aerodactyl, Aerodactyl, Aerodactyl. Maybe Archeops as a tech, but by all means Aerodactyl.

If it's stackable, hey, fill up 2 or 3 bench spaces with it (or as many as you need) and you'll be hitting for 20-30 more damage/turn, which is huge, particularly if you're playing something like Magnezone that already has variable (but not exact) damage output.

This will give a huge boost to Aerodactyl at the very least– it won't be played in every deck, but it will impact the metagame.

I guess the damage for Primal scream would stack, because it doesn't say you can only use Primal scream once per turn. But, I could be incorrect.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
PCL just screws up everything... They nerfed the fossil pokémon and their best way of remeding it is making a FLIPPY stadium... nice...

alex

Miss the game
IMO, I believe that Twist Mountain is going to make Archeops very playable. Almost all EX’s need support pokemon, and they just can’t function without them. Archeops paired with maybe Mew to Lost Zone a good attacker (or other attackers such as Kyurem) could become a very viable deck.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
alexmf2 said:
IMO, I believe that Twist Mountain is going to make Archeops very playable. Almost all EX’s need support pokemon, and they just can’t function without them. Archeops paired with maybe Mew to Lost Zone a good attacker (or other attackers such as Kyurem) could become a very viable deck.

This is exactly the way I thought it. What is reshiram wih its precious typhosion or emboar? Is zekrom consistent without eels? Also, Mewtwo EX won't be very consistent without its Gardevoir. I think the use of Archeops will make the format more interesting.

alex

Miss the game
Rougechomp said:
This is exactly the way I thought it. What is reshiram wih its precious typhosion or emboar? Is zekrom consistent without eels? Also, Mewtwo EX won't be very consistent without its Gardevoir. I think the use of Archeops will make the format more interesting.

Mewtwo is actually where Archeops would fall. Most will run Celebi, not Gardevoir, and it would be a completely basic reliant deck.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
alexmf2 said:
Mewtwo is actually where Archeops would fall. Most will run Celebi, not Gardevoir, and it would be a completely basic reliant deck.

It's more than just that. The problem I see it getting out Archeops. Sure it is easier, but it is still not easy. With basic decks being able to do quick damage, your Archen will be knocked out. It is also hard to bench two because you bench them on a flip, and the actual mechanic is just luck.

After Archeops is up, your options are only basic Pokémon, but since most decks use usually a Cobalion (ChandyPlume) or some type of basic Pokémon, they will still be able to attack and knock out your Pokémon. ZPST wouldn't work because ZPST it needs it's own deck, and a ZPST with Archeops would be inconsistent. Celebi Mewtwo could work, but the Archeops hurts it's consistency. Archeops hurts the consistency of most basic Pokémon decks.

Also, Archeops can still be Catcher'd up, Eviolite can be attach, and Archeops can be easily knocked out by a Virizion or a Dragon with Pluspower

The Yoshi

Wumbo
If you read the text for Celebi Prime's Poke-Power and Mewtwo EX's first attack, you would figure out why they work well together.

Glaceon pretty much summed it up. Archeops will be set up T3-4, T2 if you're extremely lucky (or your deck focuses on stressing it), and by that time, your opponent will have their Eels/Emboar/Chandelure set up already, and the fact that Mewtwo EX is likely going to have a Basic engine doesn't help Archeops' case. I could see this as a small tournament deck at best, but it's not something I would bring to a tournament.

However, the topic is about Twist Mountain. Do I think it helps Archeops? Kinda. Do I think it helps Aerodactyl? Absolutely.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The Yoshi said:
If you read the text for Celebi Prime's Poke-Power and Mewtwo EX's second attack, you would figure out why they work well together.
I thought I understood how Mewtwo/Celebi worked, but after reading this I'm not so sure. Do you care to explain why Celebi's power is so good with the second attack?

Also, why will Twist Mountain help Aerodactyl but not Archeops? They're both fossils.

The Yoshi

Wumbo
because Celebi is so compatible with Psychic Energy I hate typos. BTW, you can give me a 20% warning now.

Edit: To the second part of your post, I meant in terms of benefits. They function off of Fossils, which is a good thing, but I meant that Aerodactyl gains more from it than Archeops does. This definitely helps Archeops, but I don't like the flippiness in it, which is basically why I said I didn't think it would make Archeops too much better than it already is (which at this point isn't good at all).

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Okay, I thought you were serious. Good to hear it's a typo. xP

I do like the idea of Twist Mountain, Archeops, and Plume Fossil. It gives you great chances for getting an Archen out T1. Fitting all of it in to one deck will be hard, though.

Aerodactyl won't ever replace PlusPower, and I doubt he will be played. He's not worth the bench spot.

The Yoshi

Wumbo
I wasn't kidding, I need you to give me a 20% warning.

Yeah, I assume anyone who tries it will still use Research Records to grab another Archen and make sure they don't all run out. It will be slow and difficult, but you can reap the benefits if Archeops gets out. I can't complain, though; if they hadn't made that errata, Archeops would probably be the result of a format controlled by Basic Pokemon.

Oh wait, our format is already dominated by Basic Pokemon.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
What?... I don't understand this warning thing...

I think that Twist Mountain is pretty awesome, it might make Archeops an actual threat. Of course, the issue is that you are going to have to get an Archen out first, and that can be Catcher killed fairly easily. It may be interesting to play this stadium with an Archeops line and Vileplume, oh man, no evolving or trainers for your opponent? Dang son, that is actually possible now, since you don't need the Trainer to get Archen down. This card is excellent with any fossils, and is going to be a staple in any deck playing fossil (obviously), it really just comes down to what fossils are playable right now, and it kinda looks like Aerodactyl and Archeops are the only ones. It is going to be interesting to see if they print any more playable fossils in the near future. Also, I understand Celebi Mewtwo, but I have no clue why it is getting so much hype, I guess Twist Mountain with Archeops will help, but still...

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Vulpix Yolk said:
It may be interesting to play this stadium with an Archeops line and Vileplume, oh man, no evolving or trainers for your opponent?

These cards kind of contradict each other. Unless you can guarantee an Archeops and then a Vileplume on the same turn, it will be impossible to get both of them out (unless you have already put Archen down for one turn, or you play Twist Mountain). It might be too slow to happen, but I do like the idea.

All I know is that I'm glad we're getting some more playable Stadium cards.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
What I was trying to say in that post is that now it is easier to get Archeops and Vileplume out because Twist Mountain. Before, it was a terrible idea to play both, because you would have to get an Archen out before Vileplume, and an Archeops after Vileplume. With the addition of Twist Mountain however, you can get a Vileplume out set up ASAP, then play the Stadium down, and work on benching an Archen while your opponent is locked. All you have to do is get Archeops down at anytime after Vileplume now. Your Archens can't be Pokémon Catchered into your active, so it will be easier to evolve into Archeops, and once Archeops is down, it can't be Catcher killed either. I doubt this idea will work too well, just brainstorming ideas.

RogueChomp

Team DBT
Celebi23 said:
Okay, I thought you were serious. Good to hear it's a typo. xP

I do like the idea of Twist Mountain, Archeops, and Plume Fossil. It gives you great chances for getting an Archen out T1. Fitting all of it in to one deck will be hard, though.

Aerodactyl won't ever replace PlusPower, and I doubt he will be played. He's not worth the bench spot.

Aerodactyl may only be played in some rogue 120 damage decks, because of the 130 hp pokemon popularity, but it may be a greater card if it stacks damage. Of course, it won't get overused even with stacking. Its the pluspower for trainer lock decks.

Vulpix Yolk said:
What?... I don't understand this warning thing...

I think that Twist Mountain is pretty awesome, it might make Archeops an actual threat. Of course, the issue is that you are going to have to get an Archen out first, and that can be Catcher killed fairly easily. It may be interesting to play this stadium with an Archeops line and Vileplume, oh man, no evolving or trainers for your opponent? Dang son, that is actually possible now, since you don't need the Trainer to get Archen down. This card is excellent with any fossils, and is going to be a staple in any deck playing fossil (obviously), it really just comes down to what fossils are playable right now, and it kinda looks like Aerodactyl and Archeops are the only ones. It is going to be interesting to see if they print any more playable fossils in the near future. Also, I understand Celebi Mewtwo, but I have no clue why it is getting so much hype, I guess Twist Mountain with Archeops will help, but still...

I agree with the Archeops Vileplume idea, and it goes perfectly with Jirachi to de evolve their already evolved pokemon.