Turning the Tide of Black and White (OU/BW2)

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Introduction

As soon as I heard of of the Genie Brothers getting new formes I was immediately curious, and now that BW2 is out, I can fully enjoy using them. Thanks to their new formes, all three Genies have recieved new niches, and as such, I plan on making full use of this. The outcome? This team right here! I've been playing around with it, and what I have come up with has won me quite a few battles, losing only three times on the ladder. Everything aside, read about this team turning the tide!
Changes in Bold

At a Glance

186.png
073.png
598.png
134.png
472.png
642-s.png

186.png

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Ice Beam

What is a Rain team without the rain user? I chose physically defensive Politoad because I needed my weather user to stay alive longer than any other opposing weather user, and this set was the option I took! Scald gets good STAB, and gets a good 30% chance to burn anything thinking they can set up on Politoed. Toxic takes care of walls not named Skarmory or Blissey, as well as special set up sweepers like Volcarona, who otherwise like to set up on me. Encore gives me more room to do things. I can easily predict Dragon Dancers and just Encore them and kill them while they're trapped. This also lets me keep the poison damage rolling, which is something I definitely like. Ice Beam takes care of Landorus and Gliscor, as well as Dragon-types who think they can come in and kill me.

073.png

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

For the next team member, I knew that I would need something that can wall the common Fighting-type Pokemon that inhabit this metagame, as well as an entry hazards setter, and Tentacruel fits the description! Thanks to Tentacruel's typing as well, he can protect Ferrothorn from anything wanting to come in. Toxic Spikes helps the team take control of the match, should a stall war somehow ensue. Scald takes care of physical attackers that comes in, and gets good STAB. I definitely need Rapid Spin support, as Thundurus definitely will not last long if Stealth Rock is up and out. Ice Beam rounds off the set, meaning Dragonite cannot freely setup on me.

598.png

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn helps this team in a plethora of ways. Not only setting entry hazards, it acts as my lure, being able to easily predict switch-ins and cripple them with Thunder Wave. Stealth Rock helps me big time. It breaks Sturdy on certain Pokemon that would otherwise give my main sweeper a problem, and also shaves off enough HP off certain Pokemon that would otherwise be a 2 hit KO. Leech Seed helps Ferrothorn recover off damage, sapping health off from other Pokemon. Power Whip is last move Ferrothorn has in its arsenal, which without Power Whip, Ferrothorn would be complete Taunt bait. Thanks to Power Whip, Ferrothorn can also fend for himself against Terrakion, Tyranitar, and other threats should the need arise.

134.png

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Scald
- Wish
- Ice Beam

I absolutely CHERISH Vaporeon on this team. She acts my amazing other physical wall, my status absorber, and has amazing recovery thanks to the combination of Rest and Hydration. Vaporeon also helps me pass Wishes to team mates who would need it, and, thanks to Vappy's high HP, Wishes passed on restore a HUGE amount of health. Scald acts as my main attack, helping Vaporeon take on physical threats more easily. Ice Beam covers what Scald can't; Dragons and Grass-types, like Dragonite, Salamence, Verizion, and Celebi.

472.png

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Thanks to Gliscor's typing, I am not stuck struggling with Electric-type moves from the opponent. Toxic allows Gliscor to outstall other walls, and helps Gliscor deal with bulky Ground-types and other Pokemon that would otherwise easily resist Earthquake and Ice Fang. Earthquake is such an amazing move, being physical, and having both 100 base power and 100 accuracy, which means I don't have to worry about it really missing. Ice Fang hits Pokemon that Levitate, has a balloon, or is a Flying-type;basically to cover for anything that Earthquake can't hit. This doesn't mean Ice Fang is useless either, it allows me to hit set-up sweepers that would otherwise scoff at Gliscor. Protect is my last move, and makes a great combination with Toxic. Protect also allows me to predict, which makes the guessing next turn a lot easier.

642-s.png

Thundurus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Let's face it, Thundurus-T will NEVER end up like his other forme, he's just too slow and doesn't have the right ability to be game-breaking. This, however, doesn't mean Thundurus-T is bad at all, in fact, I LOVE Thundurus-T, it has a huge Sp. Atk stat, which on this team, Thundurus-T exploits. 331 Speed is kinda meh, and Mienshao can easily tear up Thundurus-T. My remedy? Agility. Combined with Thundurus-T's huge Sp. Atk, Agility just makes Thundurus-T all the more threatening, being able to easily outpace Choice Scarfed Pokemon like MoxieMence. Thunder is my main sweeping move, dolling out huge damage, and can KO any slighty weakened or weakened Pokemon thanks to Stealth Rock support. Focus Blast hits Steel-types and other types Thunder can't hit. Either option though will deal huge damage. Hidden Power [Ice] rounds the set off, being able to hit Ground-types and Grass-types.

*approved*

Agility Thundurus is bad and lacks raw power (even with LO you miss out on 2HKOing Blissey and Amoonguss sometimes after hazards). It really goes against your team's concept as well. If you really want to run it I would suggest a Scarf set or Sub NP. Your entire reasoning behind running Agility Thundurus is that it's hard to revenge kill. The same is true for SubNP, however SubNP doesn't fear status and has power unlike Agility. In the end though I would suggest dropping Thundurus for more defensive utility to go with your stall team. Right now you're putting too much strain on each Pokemon.

Amoongus looks like a pain for this team by absorbing your TSpikes and walling 5/6 of your team. Ferrothorn can't even do much to Amoonguss besides paralyze it, although you would be better off just fishing for a burn with Scald (risky though). The only thing that hurts it would be SR. Gliscor 2HKOs with Ice Fang, however most Amoonguss have HP Ice to cripple Gliscor beyond repair and can just switch out to heal most of the damage lost.

Why are you not running Roost on Gliscor anyways? I understand that it's hard to fit in, but Roost is what makes Gliscor good in this game as it has the ability to check physical threats an not be worn down be repeated hits. Your only way of keeping it alive is by Wish. You could even put SR on Gliscor and free up space for Ferrothorn to run Spikes to wear down the likes of Chansey and Amoonguss, both of which are a problem for your team.

ComfortEagle said:
*approved*

Agility Thundurus is bad and lacks raw power (even with LO you miss out on 2HKOing Blissey and Amoonguss sometimes after hazards). It really goes against your team's concept as well. If you really want to run it I would suggest a Scarf set or Sub NP. Your entire reasoning behind running Agility Thundurus is that it's hard to revenge kill. The same is true for SubNP, however SubNP doesn't fear status and has power unlike Agility. In the end though I would suggest dropping Thundurus for more defensive utility to go with your stall team. Right now you're putting too much strain on each Pokemon.
Sorry if you think it's bad, I just couldn't find any movesets for him (nor any of the new formes in BW2). Also, he doesn't lack raw power, 389 Sp. Atk on a Timid Thundurus-T is not low at all, in fact everytime I get an Agility boost, I easily take out atleast two Pokemon. I might drop it if you have a better suggestion.

Amoongus looks like a pain for this team by absorbing your TSpikes and walling 5/6 of your team. Ferrothorn can't even do much to Amoonguss besides paralyze it, although you would be better off just fishing for a burn with Scald (risky though). The only thing that hurts it would be SR. Gliscor 2HKOs with Ice Fang, however most Amoonguss have HP Ice to cripple Gliscor beyond repair and can just switch out to heal most of the damage lost.
I have not run into Amoongus yet, so I really can't say anything here.

Why are you not running Roost on Gliscor anyways? I understand that it's hard to fit in, but Roost is what makes Gliscor good in this game as it has the ability to check physical threats an not be worn down be repeated hits. Your only way of keeping it alive is by Wish. You could even put SR on Gliscor and free up space for Ferrothorn to run Spikes to wear down the likes of Chansey and Amoonguss, both of which are a problem for your team.

I don't run Roost because I can't find a proper spot for it. If you know what I should drop go ahead.

If you haven't run into Amoongus yet, then you're a lucky man. Anyways, I have a few nitpicks:

- Run Perish Song on Politoed instead of Toxic. You've already got Toxic Spikes support and Toxic on Gliscor, so there's no need for another.
- Try Substitute on Tentacruel instead of Ice Beam. It's worked well for me in the past, and again, you've already got so many other Pokemon with Ice moves.
- I'm not sure what role Vaporeon fulfills on your team. It shares too many of the team's weaknesses, and there are some better options for physical walls.
- Drop Toxic or Protect on Gliscor for Roost.
- Take TDL's suggestions on Thundurus, you're definitely going to want more offensive power here, and personally, I'd go with a Scarf.

The team has a lot of potential in the meta, you just have to put in the effort to make it better.

I have not run into Amoongus yet, so I really can't say anything here.

Where are you playing? Amoonguss is one of the most common Pokemon. In fact, I have yet to play a game where it's not on the opponent's team.

I don't run Roost because I can't find a proper spot for it. If you know what I should drop go ahead.

Protect or Toxic. I would suggest Toxic because you have TSpikes and can spread it with Politoed as well.

Vappy takes care as my status absorber, wall, and Wishpasser. Also, putting a Scarf on Thundurus is basically like the Agility set only you're locked into one move and basically has the same power. You have a point on Politoed, I'll change that, Sub on Tentacruel, I'm not so sure about, but I'm willing to give it a try first. I dropped Toxic on Gliscor and went ahead with Roost. @ Comfort Eagle, Pokemon Online

Try playing on Showdown! where the general populace is. The fact you've not played a single Amoonguss makes me think most people on Pokemon Online have no idea what to do. Try a few games on Showdown! and change your team from there.

Ehh, I'll give it a try, but PS! gets laggy for me :/ I also heard it doesn't save your team.

Play a ladder match and it will ask you if you would like to create a password. Export your teams and save them in word or notepad to make sure they don't get lost forever.

Wait... how does running a Scarf Thundurus over Agility give you more offensive power? Sub NP makes more sense, but LO Agility hits harder than Scarf and is the better variant unless you want to revenge kill or Volturn.

The term "power" was used as a reference to being an offensive Pokemon, just a hard-hitter, not wasting any time setting up Agility or whatnot. Try whatever works best.

Ah okay. I thought by "power" you meant sheer damage output. My bad. However, in the case of your team Equinox, Sub NP would be better as you have pretty much no other offensive pokemon. I feel this team is too slow for Thundurus, and something like DD Haxorus and SubSword Terrakion will have an easy time once they get a solid switch in.

Back