Trying to Build my First Deck - Perhaps with M Rayquaza or Garchomp

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
So, it's my first time making a deck in 15-ish years of collecting, so I have no experience and my budget is VERY limited...Yeah, where the heck do I start? XD I don't need something super-duper competitive. I just want to build a somewhat decent deck to play at a league challenge or something, just to say I played some official matches. It feels odd to collect cards and never use them. And my collection isn't all that impressive, anyway, so I may as well dabble in the game.

I really want to use pokemon that I like. I have some of the normal type Rayquazas from Roaring Skies, and I would love to use these as they are some of my favorite cards in my collection. I have four spirit links and three Sky Fields to go with them. I just need another M Rayquaza EX or two and I'm set, that is if I do end up using these.

The Breakpoint Garchomp is really appealing to me, as it is pretty strong against ex's, can retreat easily, is very cheap, and that artwork is just so freakin' awesome! It also seems a good choice against M Manectric EX and Jolteon EX, which helps Rayquaza who is weak against those. Is my thinking sound here or do I sound like a crazy person? XD

I've been considering how I should deal with Night March as this seems like a giant threat in the meta going by what I've read lurking. What can I consider that is not super expensive and also isn't seismetoad? (I really don't like that pokemon...It bothers me for some reason.)

I have a Garbodor from Breakpoint that can stop opposing Shaymins from setting up. I just don't know what tool I could attach to it that is worthwhile. Maybe Twisted Spoon from the upcoming set?

I have a M Scizor EX that I'd love to use, as the two-energy attack looks appealing, but what could I build with this? I'd also need to buy more scizors to make that deck. They're not expensive, but they would amount to more than getting another rayquaza.

I used to have a Shaymin EX, but recently traded it (for a Generations M Charizard) so that is right out. I don't want to put money down to get it back. I could spend the same amount on some much-needed trainers and Garchomps and call it a day.

I've been looking at some deck lists, and have a decent understanding of the often-used trainer cards and what they do. It's a lot of info though, so I probably don't have as great a grasp on that as I think...I know I'm not going to put down $50 or whatever for a set of battle compressors, however. Too expensive. (I'm a snobby snob and don't want to spend so much on an uncommon card, lol) Then there is the thing that worries me about considering the Battle Compressor and others: Will I end up buying some cards for a deck, only to have these rotated out in a couple of months? I have heard that everything up to Primal Clash might get rotated out soon. That would be pretty brutal. For this reason I have only been considering cards from Roaring Skies or newer.

Some notable trainers I have on hand already would be the aforementioned Sky Field and Rayquaza Spirit Link, and:

Winona
Pokemon Fan Club
Trainer's Mail
Wally (Helps Garbodor and Garchomp, if I use them)
Ultra Ball
Mega Turbo
Max Revive
Revive
Energy retrieval
Energy Recycler
Steven
Exp Share for Garbodor? Maybe I could salvage energy somehow with this?

I can order more trainers, of course. Preferably cheap ones that won't get rotated out soon...

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Sorry if this is too wordy.

I really want to use pokemon that I like. I have some of the normal type Rayquazas from Roaring Skies, and I would love to use these as they are some of my favorite cards in my collection. I have four spirit links and three Sky Fields to go with them. I just need another M Rayquaza EX or two and I'm set, that is if I do end up using these.
If you've got the Rayquaza and you like them, I think this may be the way to go for you!

The Breakpoint Garchomp is really appealing to me, as it is pretty strong against ex's, can retreat easily, is very cheap, and that artwork is just so freakin' awesome! It also seems a good choice against M Manectric EX and Jolteon EX, which helps Rayquaza who is weak against those. Is my thinking sound here or do I sound like a crazy person? XD
Unfortunately Garchomp is actually a whole different archetype together. They require many different resources to be particularly effective, and you won't find space in your 60-card deck.

I've been considering how I should deal with Night March as this seems like a giant threat in the meta going by what I've read lurking. What can I consider that is not super expensive and also isn't seismetoad? (I really don't like that pokemon...It bothers me for some reason.)
This is a really good question. The thing that's not so good is that no one really has a decent answer. Turn-1 item locks is the best way to shut them down, along with limiting resources. You could go perhaps go for Deliquent, as having a low hand of resources early is quite potent. But, to be fair, Rayquaza really doesn't go well against Night March. The best shot you have would be running a couple copies of Altaria AT, to remove the awful [L] weakness.

I have a Garbodor from Breakpoint that can stop opposing Shaymins from setting up. I just don't know what tool I could attach to it that is worthwhile. Maybe Twisted Spoon from the upcoming set?
Float Stone is generally a very nice choice. If Garbodor is Lyasndred, all you have to do is retreat. It also can be attached to other Pokemon that isn't Garbodor (as you should be running about 3 copies) to allow greater freedom in retreating.

I have a M Scizor EX that I'd love to use, as the two-energy attack looks appealing, but what could I build with this? I'd also need to buy more scizors to make that deck. They're not expensive, but they would amount to more than getting another rayquaza.
I'd recommend sticking with Rayquaza to be honest. You've already got the cards, and I think Rayquaza is a bit better.

I used to have a Shaymin EX, but recently traded it (for a Generations M Charizard) so that is right out. I don't want to put money down to get it back. I could spend the same amount on some much-needed trainers and Garchomps and call it a day.
Whelp, Shaymin-EX is a pretty necessary card for M-Rayquaza so it can function properly. Garchomp really doesn't need it at all (Korinna does the job instead), so that may be good. xD

I've been looking at some deck lists, and have a decent understanding of the often-used trainer cards and what they do. It's a lot of info though, so I probably don't have as great a grasp on that as I think...I know I'm not going to put down $50 or whatever for a set of battle compressors, however. Too expensive. (I'm a snobby snob and don't want to spend so much on an uncommon card, lol)
I recommend you to make the decklist first and then splurge on staple (that is, often-used cards). You can design your list and then post it on the Deck Garage if you like.

Then there is the thing that worries me about considering the Battle Compressor and others: Will I end up buying some cards for a deck, only to have these rotated out in a couple of months? I have heard that everything up to Primal Clash might get rotated out soon. That would be pretty brutal. For this reason I have only been considering cards from Roaring Skies or newer.
There will likely be a rotation where up to Primal Clash (though probably more likely Phantom Forces) will be cut. However, recently Japan got a set that reprinted basically all the important XY-on cards, and high chances that we will get a similar set in English, so things like Trainers in particular shouldn't be a worry for you.

You've probably found some of these, but here's a good M-Ray list/structure and a top cut Garchomp list (click the drop down; last one) to check out, which you probably should use to base your list on.

Out of those cards you mentioned; Ultra Ball and Trainer's Mail are really the only cards I'd call major staples, where Wally, Fan Club and Mega Turbo have its uses.

Anyways, feel free to ask any more questions! These responses above may be a bit choppy. xP

mega rayquaza with silent lab would ruin any garbador and shaymin ex :D , and if you got any max elixirs to charge rayquaza ex on the bench would make it attackin just 2 turns if with double colorless kept on i , sky field is a bit out of place now thanks to delinquent in the way and the annoying parallel city would practically ruin a sky field set up as it would discard 5 of your pokemon , leaving rayquaza bare to a very low damage output as a mega ex. Raticate break and ho oh ex would surprisingly help if you don't build up rayquaza ex immediately :)

Also , why not use some hammers, lyandre + flare grunts with vs seeker to disrupt the opponent , always fun to keep him/her busy while you set up ;)

I am a big fan of Garchomp and played a deck recently at the WI State Championship where I placed 14th out of 128 masters. I missed the Top 8 from a misplay I made during the last round of Swiss. I really like the 1-energy attacking, energy accelerating attachment, free retreating Pokemon that also has lots of support via: Korrina, Fighting Stadium, Strong energy, etc. The other F Pokemon that you can combo with Garchomp are also quite strong and formidable: Hawlucha (FUF), Landorus EX (Expanded format only), and Lucario EX.

Definitely consider checking out the Deck Garage for some deck ideas regarding Ray EX and/or Garchomp; build (on paper) some initial deck(s) and submit your deck(s) for review suggested ideas and changes; price the cards needed to actually complete your decks; and then decide upon your "final" you want to actually complete building.

What exactly is your budget ?, I would say that entei from ancient origins, the one with the ancient trait could be a budget deck, it is quite competitive. However, it does require shaymin and of course like all decks vs seeker, I guess you could skip them. But that would make the deck much worse. A lot of budget decks, except night March are gimmicky. Perhaps you could look into: ( in order of best to worst)

no more rat poison,(raticate break).
As previously mentioned entei
Haxorus ( not really competitive)
And medicham pooka did a video on it, it may be a little out of date but I'm sure you could update it.
Hope I helped :)

mega rayquaza with silent lab would ruin any garbador and shaymin ex :D
Silent Lab doesn't block Garbador, just so you know.

Also , why not use some hammers, lyandre + flare grunts with vs seeker to disrupt the opponent , always fun to keep him/her busy while you set up ;)

This is not really a good idea since it clunks up deck space. Mega Ray in particular has very little space for much else.

I'm starting to feel very discouraged...Maybe I should just quit.

Whelp, Shaymin-EX is a pretty necessary card for M-Rayquaza so it can function properly.
Eh, no way I'm putting down so much money for a card that I otherwise don't care for just to play a few matches with it. If it really is that necessary then maybe I should forget about this. :( But, why is it (and vs seeker, etc) necessary? It seems very helpful, but necessary? Calling it as such makes it feel overpowered and cheap. I really don't like that, and I don't even want to use it if that's the case. It's no fun doing the same as everyone else, especially if it costs money. :(

Silent Lab doesn't block Garbador, just so you know.
Silent Lab and Garbodor have pretty much the same effect, right?

What exactly is your budget ?
At the moment, zilch. :( I just want to make a plan for now and I'll work on making the deck in a couple of months hopefully. And if a deck requires shaymins and vs seekers, then I don't think I'd call them budget decks...That's already half of a paycheck for me just with those cards!

There will likely be a rotation where up to Primal Clash (though probably more likely Phantom Forces) will be cut. However, recently Japan got a set that reprinted basically all the important XY-on cards, and high chances that we will get a similar set in English, so things like Trainers in particular shouldn't be a worry for you.
But if they do rotate then I'd still need to buy the new prints, right? Seems like a waste of money to buy them sooner rather than wait and see later this year. And this new reprint set isn't confirmed yet, it may not even come here. Seems risky for me.

Korrina, Fighting Stadium, Strong energy, etc
All of those are in danger of rotating, so I think I should skip them and garchomp...

sky field is a bit out of place now thanks to delinquent in the way and the annoying parallel city would practically ruin a sky field set up as it would discard 5 of your pokemon , leaving rayquaza bare to a very low damage output as a mega ex. Raticate break and ho oh ex would surprisingly help if you don't build up rayquaza ex immediately
Dang, without skyfield Rayquaza's attack power looks kinda wimpy...Now I don't want to use it so much. :( How do Raticate and Ho-oh help, though? Ho-oh needs at least three different energy so it seems to me like it would be very difficult to use, period.

Nooo don't do that! D:

Eh, no way I'm putting down so much money for a card that I otherwise don't care for just to play a few matches with it. If it really is that necessary then maybe I should forget about this. :( But, why is it (and vs seeker, etc) necessary? It seems very helpful, but necessary? Calling it as such makes it feel overpowered and cheap. I really don't like that, and I don't even want to use it if that's the case. It's no fun doing the same as everyone else, especially if it costs money. :(
The reason Shaymin is really needed in a highly competitive Rayquaza deck is so you can get all the Pokemon you need on the bench all the time, even after your bench has just been reduced to five. You can still run the deck without Shaymin, but it will be slower and may have difficulty matching up against some other decks.

Silent Lab and Garbodor have pretty much the same effect, right?
They have similar effects in that they block Abilities, however Silent Lab can only block basic Pokemon's Abilities, and your opponent can remove it easily by dropping a Stadium that they on.

But if they do rotate then I'd still need to buy the new prints, right? Seems like a waste of money to buy them sooner rather than wait and see later this year. And this new reprint set isn't confirmed yet, it may not even come here. Seems risky for me.
That's the beauty of rotation and reprints! You don't have to obtain the new print. The old print will work perfectly fine. For an example, if you have the VS Seeker from Phantom Forces and it rotates out, you can still use that Phantom Forces VS Seeker print as long as it has the same name as another Trainer card in Standard format (i.e. from Roaring Skies).

All of those are in danger of rotating, so I think I should skip them and garchomp...
Korrina and Fighting Stadium are going to be reprinted in Japan's reprint set, which we presumably will get in English, and we probably will see Strong Energy in Fates Collide looking at the scans.

That's the beauty of rotation and reprints! You don't have to obtain the new print. The old print will work perfectly fine. For an example, if you have the VS Seeker from Phantom Forces and it rotates out, you can still use that Phantom Forces VS Seeker print as long as it has the same name as another Trainer card in Standard format (i.e. from Roaring Skies).
Then I kinda hope we do get that reprint set here, then I can make a cheap garchomp deck. At the same time, I don't want the night march stuff to get reprinted! They should make more cards to counter it. Only now am I realizing that like 90%+ of cards are absolutely useless. I really wish the arcanine just released in Breakpoint was decent. That's my favorite pokemon, and I would totally build a deck around a good arcanine...

I have built a deck on $20 before, it was the haxorus deck, however, I did have birches 2 rare candys, and your basic stuff in every deck, it didn't have shaymin ex or vs seeker, but works nicely for a budget deck. I really feel for you, it is very expensive starting off, but so are all tcgs. Also don't buy booster packs, boxes, elite trainer boxes, or anything similar. Buy single cards from trollandtoad.

Dang, without skyfield Rayquaza's attack power looks kinda wimpy...Now I don't want to use it so much. :( How do Raticate and Ho-oh help, though? Ho-oh needs at least three different energy so it seems to me like it would be very difficult to use, period.
oh the ho oh ex is just a stall personally, as you can stack energies on him then just energy switch 1 energy if he's too damaged , onto a mega rayqauza ex , then , switch and add a double colorless to le rayquaza to get the party starting if set up , raticate helps as a colorless helper, as when you mght use winona for help , or an altaria no weakness ability, you can set up raticate to do some quick damage here on to counter for example some issues:
Regice ex nerfing ( flare grunts/switching/hammers do the trick ) while knocking him out , if you don't poison , a nice bursting balloon always safeguards you , as if raticate dies, regice goes down , and nearly nobody sets up 2 regice, as exes in general are not being as used as much as they were .
night march ( basically I'd seismitoad ex this / but raticate can help to reduce fury belts on this basic bugs and rotten pumpins :p then just add a little salt with poison and some pepper with knockout, I'd suggest an evosoda, even for mega rayquaza too, as it fastens the process to get this all set up
I can say since the last feww sets came after roaring sies: the company has released counters to the who sky field genre and especially to rayquaza with even a giratina ex bold stating ( you can't hit me )

One last note; I checked, maybe you could add a lugia ex or a tornadus , lugia ex basically just revenge kills if le players has any gyarados ex or energies , and tornadus (from ff)can help you get rid of a giant active pokemon, and 120 damage with the same hand effect.
Manectric ex is the worst, but little by little, the ex genre is being pushed on the side ;)

If I use all normal types, I can just use Winona instead of Ultra ball, huh? Winona can get EX's as well, right?

Evosoda works on EX's and breaks?

Last edited:
If I use all normal types, I can just use Winona instead of Ultra ball, huh? Winona can get EX's as well, right?
You should still run Ultra Ball. This is because Winona is a supporter, and since you can only use 1 supporter a turn, sometimes it is better to use a Sycamore to draw cards instead. Ultra Ball allows you to draw /both/ cards and search for Sycamore.

Evosoda works on EX's and breaks?
Correct.

There are so many trainers i want to use...How many of each? I feel like if I just use 1 of some things I'll never see them...

What are good non-ex normal/colorless types? There seems to be a shortage of good ones...The new Fates Collide Snorlax can sorta do what Ho-oh was recommended to do and does damage, but costs more energy...Eh. Lugia from the same set?

Last edited:
Back