• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Trying Out Pangoro Mill

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
I'm a beginner at this game, but I wanted to try building a deck around Pangoro from the Team Up expansion. Not aiming for it to be competitive, but any feedback would be appreciated. I really want to learn to consider what goes into drafting a deck.

Decklist:

Pokemon (14)

4 Pancham-- TEU 81
3 Pangoro-- TEU 94
2 Slugma-- CLS 23
2 Magcargo-- CLS 24
2 Alolan Grimer-- BUS 83
1 Alolan Muk-- TEU 84

Trainers (35)

3 Cynthia-- UPR 119
2 Guzma-- BUS 115
4 Acerola-- BUS 112
2 Gladion-- CIN 95
1 Lillie-- UPR 125
2 Judge-- FLI 108

4 Nest Ball-- SM 123
3 Ultra Ball-- SM 135
3 Pokemon Communication-- TEU 152
3 Buff Padding-- TEU 136
2 Counter Catcher-- CIN 91
4 Max Potion-- GRI 128
1 Rescue Stretcher --GRI 130
1 Pal Pad-- UPR 132

Energy (11)

6 Dark (basic)
4 Double Colourless (special)
1 Rainbow (special)

The deck focuses around Pangoro's hand discard attack "Tighten Up", and I thought that Alolan Muk would be an good partner. I'd use A-Muk's "Adventurous Appetite" ability to try and discard the opponent's vital item cards from their deck. The Acerolas can be used to recover both Pangoro and A-Muk, but Acerola and Rainbow energy is for A-Muk so that I can have an easier time reusing its ability.

Gladion is there to get any cards I need that were prized up. I'm not sure about sticking to Max Potions, but I though having a few healing cards would be good.

Like I said, any feedback is appreciated.

-----EDIT-----

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I did end up changing this list quite a bit and implemented some of what was suggested, and I also got to consider cards from the newer expansion sets. It’s definitely not set in stone, but hopefully this new draft functions a lot better.

I’m pretty sure that Mars and Chip-Chip Ice Axe are pretty strong support for Pangoro here. I’m thinking about replacing a few Pokemon with a Florges line or an Oranguru for the ability to get Ice Axe back from the discard pile. I added Whimsicott GX mainly for its GX attack in case I’m in trouble and need to grab some important cards, but I’m also considering disruption cards like Sylveon GX’s or Mimikyu GX’s attacks. Let me know what you guys think.

Pokemon (14)
3 Pancham—TEU 81
3 Pangoro—TEU 94
2 Meowth—UNB 147 (because the art is cute :3)
2 Persian—TEU 126
1 Slugma—CLS 23
1 Magcargo—CLS 24
1 Ditto Prism Star—LOT 154
1 Whimsicott GX—UNB 140

Trainers (36)
3 Cynthia—UPR 119
2 Prof. Elm’s Lecture—LOT 188
3 Mars—UPR 128
2 Acerola—BUS 112
1 Gladion—CIN 95
1 Brock’s Grit—TEU 135

3 Pokemon Communication—TEU 152
3 Buff Padding—TEU 136
3 Chip-Chip Ice Axe—UNB 165
3 Energy Spinner—UNB 170
2 Counter Catcher—CIN 91
2 Switch—CLS 147
2 Moo Moo Milk—LOT 185
1 Last Chance Potion—CLS 135
1 Energy Recycle System—CLS 128
1 Pal Pad—UPR 132
1 Viridian Forest—TEU 156
1 Lavender Town—TEU 147
1 Black Market Prism Star—TEU 134

Energy (10)
6 Dark (basic)
2 Double Colourless (special)
2 Unit Energy [FDY] (special)

Last edited:

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Muk is ok as a deck milling card, but I think pangoro has more potential with other partners that disrupt the hand, like make em pay persian (for if they try to draw out of a small hand with swampert or zoroark), slowking or wink wink sylveon to delete supporters (slowking lost zones any one card but costs 1 water, where sylveon is 1 colorless and gives you the added bonus of being able to use the supporter's effect for yourself, which I think is better for you in this deck), and mightyena could be a backup attacker since it only costs a DCE but does 50 and discards a single card from their hand. If you play wink wink, you can probably get away with some mars for draw support since you can use your attack for extra draws.
In my opinion, max potion is too expensive for this deck... healing is nice if you are super tanky, which pangoro is with buff padding, but if the attack is expensive, acerola is a better bet, or tools like exp share and wishful baton if using basic energy (you lose a prize card, but you keep the energy in play).

I think you might want lavender town here, so that you can see what your next move should be, and skull grunt, and definitely mars. I'd also consider disrupting their top deck with hiker or nita or both (I'm a fan of nita at the moment given all the big basics people are playing... if they have a small hand you are not only disrupting their energy but also ensuring they don't top deck a cynthia).

It may seem like you're all in on hand disruption, but I feel like otherwise you are just a second-rate attacker.

JohnnyBaboon

Aspiring Trainer
I think if you're gonna dedicate that many cards to Magcargo, you should definitely run something that lets you get something off the top the turn you need it. You'd probably be safe to cut a few Acerola and add a two Lillie as I dont think you need 4 especially if you're playing pal pad.

Could also be really punishing if you could Marshadow Let loose them down to four, and then discard two. But might be hard to pull off reliably.

Ditto also seems like a really, really good card in this list as well.

Last edited:

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
My suggestions...

Your strategy is kind of weird, in that it doesn't have a concrete "winning" plan - just a defending one. Are you going for the deck out, or some sort of control upon the prize trade? You might want to rethink about how you're supposed to win with this deck, or you won't get so far with it.

-If you are going for the deck out, LOT Durant can discard 2 cards from the deck with a DCE, which could help during the endgame.

-The SUM Alolan Muk can help shut down abilities like from Jirachi/Oranguru to prevent opponents from drawing cards with them.

-Black Market * can help with Prize Denial upon Pangoro.

-Since you might be behind in prizes at first, Counter Energy and Counter Gain combined can help Pangoro attack with one energy.

-Persian plus Ditto * could help, as given your opponent will try to build up their hands in preparation of Pangoro's attack, Persian could come out of nowhere to punish their hand.

-Energy disruption could help this deck immensely, as well as field blower.

As it's a Rogue deck, keep experimenting with card choices as you play it.

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks @rewster1

Funny. I had been wanting to make a deck with "Wink wink" Sylveon for a while. I never thought I could partner it with this Pangoro. Always thought it was more of a situational card to play. I wanna try it now. Slowking seems fun too. ^_^

You're right, Max Potion is expensive. I did have other healing cards in mind, so I'll rethink them too.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'second-rate' attacker. If you mean that my decklist seems like it still focuses primarily on attacking more than milling, then I guess that just speaks to my inexperience in making a deck like that. My bad. But feedback like yours does help me understand what to look out for. Thanks a bunch.

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
Definitely hit the nail on the head @Lanstar. I
definitely thinking about a more 'defensive' plan as opposed to a winning strategy. I'm finding out really quickly that building a mill deck takes an approach other than what I'm used to seeing.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take your suggestions to heart.

Last edited:

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks @rewster1

Funny. I had been wanting to make a deck with "Wink wink" Sylveon for a while. I never thought I could partner it with this Pangoro. Always thought it was more of a situational card to play. I wanna try it now. Slowking seems fun too. ^_^

You're right, Max Potion is expensive. I did have other healing cards in mind, so I'll rethink them too.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'second-rate' attacker. If you mean that my decklist seems like it still focuses primarily on attacking more than milling, then I guess that just speaks to my inexperience in making a deck like that. My bad. But feedback like yours does help me understand what to look out for. Thanks a bunch.
Sylveon is situational, and so you might want some switching cards to get it in, although guzma and acerola can work. Just FYI hopefully before you get too into it, I haven't gotten it to work well in any of the decks I've tried it in, as it is a bit on the weak side HP wise.

Speaking of HP and healing, last chance potion might work for pangoro, since a lot of attacks hit for 120-130, and with the buff padding on you can come back from attacks that hit 160 to 180, which a bunch of basic GXs tend to hit.

As for second rate attacker, I just mean his attacks are too expensive to be competitive against a lot of stuff if you can't take advantage of the milling aspect, so yeah, if you can find a way to keep pangoro alive and milling and at the same time using mars or skull grunt, etc. then your opponent is going to have a hard time digging out of that hole.

sweetbrieR20

Aspiring Trainer
Sylveon is situational, and so you might want some switching cards to get it in, although guzma and acerola can work. Just FYI hopefully before you get too into it, I haven't gotten it to work well in any of the decks I've tried it in, as it is a bit on the weak side HP wise.

Speaking of HP and healing, last chance potion might work for pangoro, since a lot of attacks hit for 120-130, and with the buff padding on you can come back from attacks that hit 160 to 180, which a bunch of basic GXs tend to hit.

As for second rate attacker, I just mean his attacks are too expensive to be competitive against a lot of stuff if you can't take advantage of the milling aspect, so yeah, if you can find a way to keep pangoro alive and milling and at the same time using mars or skull grunt, etc. then your opponent is going to have a hard time digging out of that hole.

I did have a chance to think about it, and ended up decided that "Make 'em Pay" Persian would be better. I've edited my original post with my list change since, and I'm hoping it's a lot better than before. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I also made a similar list with Wink-Wink Sylveon instead of Persian, but haven't worked out the kinks yet, lol.