Truly scary games?

Zero

Renegade Writer
The scary game genra has been... poor, to say the least. I just finished Ju-on for the wii and I feel completely let down. With the advances in graphics, sound, and gameplay, why can't we get good scary games? What might you all suggest would be actually fun (while still scary).

There are some jems out there (like bioshock). What makes these games so good? Discuss.

Resident Evil is what comes to my mind... but i don't usually play scary games...

Only time I ever had a scared moment in a game was when I was playing .hack// and there was a dungeon where it was the inside of a dead giant. The entrance was it's deceased head with it's mouth screaming open wide.

.....Yeah, kinda scary there.

Especially the fact that you can practically go anywhere in it's body...

ANYWHERE.

^^Resident evil isn't scary anymore. Now its just turned into a standard shooter with zombies D:
^ I remember that. I played through that part when I was like 8 y/o. I was really creaped out...

Condemned 2: Bloodshot was pretty scary. Dead Space is a no brainer.

dmaster out.

Hmmm, Dead Space isn't "scary" it's more like "jumpy".

SPOILER ALERT PLEASE LOOK AWAY IF YOU'RE PLAYING DEAD SPACE:

The bit at the end when she jumps out is scary, but apart from that it's not that scary.

Posted by Dark Marc - 11-10-2009 02:33 PM
Two words, Bio Shock.

Or one, Bioshock XD

Yah, me to. I just watched my mom bf play it, and this random guy jumps out with a drill and starts tearing people apart, I had to leave the room, it was awful. (yes, I am a weenie when it comes blood and guts)

I didn't think bioshock was too scary, fabulous story though.

Silent Hill for ps1 has ultra-creepy monsters and scary music/environments.

Dude, I remember playing this NES game called Uninvited when I was about 8 and it scared the crap out of me. You basically get this note about your sister being kidnapped and you are lead to this haunted mansion. It's a point and click game, but if you get too curious and click the wrong thing...

-You can get tangled in a web and have a giant spider eat you.
-That old woman turns out to be a flesh-eating zombie and devours you.
-Something pops loudly, causing you to drop that candle you just lit, which causes the room to catch fire and you burn to death.

God, the list could go on. I was so terrified of that game...

EDIT: :O OMG there's an auto censor here now!?!?!? That's so cool!!!

Left 4 Dead can make me jumpy sometimes. It's really not very scary, but fun as heck.

Would Earthbound qualify as a scary game because of the nature of its final boss, Giygas? Although I've never played it, I can see why its form can terrify people.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube... game is not only scary, but also plays with your mind...

game fakes memory card and controller errors to play with you...

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube... game is not only scary, but also plays with your mind...

game fakes memory card and controller errors to play with you...
OMG I remember that game! That was the one with the sanity meter, right? God, that game was sweet...

Back