Help Trevenant or Tapu Koko

President Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
Which would work better with Aegislash from BreakPoint, Baby Tapu Koko or Trevenant BREAK?
Aegislash

Sword Pain
ソードペイン

Double the number of damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokémon.
Megaton Slash
メガトンスラッシュ
This attack does 10 damage to 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Trevenant Break

Silent Fear
サイレントフィアー

Put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent's Pokémon.

Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko – Lightning – HP110
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Flying Flip: This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[L][L][C] Electric Ball: 100 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (-20)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 0

Tape koko for sure, trevenant BREAK takes more turns to set up and requires two energy whereas koko is ready first attacking turn with a dce because it is basic. However, trevenant would be interesting in expanded with access to dimension valley, so if you're going expanded route that deck sounds super fun.

Have you considered Decidueye GX? I'm not sure if it fits you're budget or whatever but it seems to me like it would work the best with Aegislash. Level balls and rare candies would make setup fairly quick and throw in some dce and rainbow energy and you have a sweet deck imo. Not sure how competitively viable aegislash is an a whole but would be super fun that's for sure.

Last edited:
Tape koko for sure, trevenant BREAK takes more turns to set up and requires two energy whereas koko is ready first attacking turn with a dce because it isn't basic. However, trevenant would be interesting in expanded with access to dimension valley, so if you're going expanded route that deck sounds super fun.

Have you considered Decidueye GX? I'm not sure if it fits you're budget or whatever but it seems to me like it would work the best with Aegislash. Level balls and rare candies would make setup fairly quick and throw in some dce and rainbow energy and you have a sweet deck imo. Not sure how competitively viable aegislash is an a whole but would be super fun that's for sure.

Trev doesn't really work with Aegislash. I tried a ton to make this combo work and it is just flat out too clunky. By the time you get Aegislash set up and energied up, your opponent has already overwhelmed you even with the ability that forces your opponent's basic to spend an extra turn to attack.

I think @Magmarco hit it on the head describing how Tapu Koko is light years better for this style of deck. Truth be told, I think you should ditch Aegislash altogether and play Tapu Koko w/ Alakazam if you have the money to build it.

In other news, I wouldn't be surprised if Deciplume featuring Tapu Koko becomes a thing lol.

Tapu Koko with that Aegislash for sure. Trev would only work in expanded with the new grass phantump that's coming out and old item lock trev. With Tapu Koko don't forget to run some those wide lens to hit shaymins and Rayquaza's for weakness.

have you considered the pain amplifier bronzong? it achieves a similar effect for a much lower cost (stage 1, less energy i believe)

have you considered the pain amplifier bronzong? it achieves a similar effect for a much lower cost (stage 1, less energy i believe)
You might as well just keep swinging with Tapu Koko who doesn't need to evolve and has the benefit of free retreat. Sure it puts down 1 less damage counter per Pokemon, but it's less to deal with.

Aegislash/Tapu Koko/Wobbuffet because now you can stop Decidueye from ruining your day, too! :D

Also, Wobbuffet is really good for obvious reasons.

-Asmer

By the way, the following comments are based upon Standard format play. For Expanded play, the Trevenant BREAK option would have a few more advantages and my conclusion may not be the same.

From my perspective, there are pros and cons to each of the referenced Pokémon option:

Trevenant BREAK +s
  • Is the same Type as Aegislash; so, there will be instant energy energy synergy.
  • The current Phantump's Ascension attack does provide some evolution acceleration; and
  • The associated, current Trevenant's Ability can disrupt opponent's Basic Pokémon attacks.
  • Trevenant BREAK's places damage counters onto all opponent's Pokémon; and this particular effect can not be stopped (e.g., by Mr. Mime's Ability Bench Barrier).
  • Silent Fear attack can not be "walled" by opponent's Glaceon EX's Crystal Ray attack.
Trevenant BREAK -s
  • Entire line is weak to Dark Pokémon attacks which is a popular archetype currently.
  • Since this is a BREAK Pokémon, it will "normally" require at least 2 turns to setup. On the other hand, one could use Evosoda and Wally to enhance evolution acceleration, but that would require extra cards that could dilute the effectiveness of the deck.
  • The "normal" time before attacking (without using Max Elixir with Phantump) is 2 which could be "too long."
  • "Expensive" (CCC) Retreat Cost.
  • Requires a minimum 6 (to support a 2-2-2 "thin" line) card slots.
Tapu Koko +s
  • 0 Retreat Cost.
  • The time to attack is just 1 turn - as soon as you put it into play.
  • Max Elixir can be used to accelerate energy attachment.
  • This Pokémon will have faster setup since it's a Basic Pokémon.
  • Easier to integrate into Aegislash deck since Tapu Koko has a Colorless attack and needs only a DCE to spread damage.
  • Requires a minimum 4 (IMO, this would be the preferred starter; so, a 4 count maximizes your chances of starting with it) card slots.
  • Provides a strong counter to a major deck archetype (Yveltal and Yveltal EX).
Tapu Koko -s
  • Can be "walled" by Jolteon EX's Flash Ray attack.
  • Spread damage can be countered by Mr. Mime's Bench Barrier Ability.
In summary (sorry for the lengthy analysis), I feel Tapu Koko provides far greater advantages than Trevenant BREAK.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back