ORAS Trainer Customization Not Included in OR/AS

RE: Trainer Customization DE-confirmed (USGamer)

Mitja said:
Seriously guys, why was anyone still getting their hopes up about this at this point??

Have you people not been following the footage and news of the past months?
The only thing I'm shocked about here is that some site actually had to "confirm" it's not in for people to start to get it.

I mean not just was it already obvious from the characters ALWAYS being standard (no reason to hide customization if it was in), but there's been screenshots of stuff like new global link for ORAS, where it was clearly visible that players were YET AGAIN represented by ingame-trainer-class icons. Which is what has been the case since RSE in the first place.

And I've explained it in another topic already long ago, it's not like they can just copy&paste that whole feature in. I mean they "could", but it would be unprofessional (I mean, you must at least realize the character models aren't identical to Calem/Serena right??).

It was not a question of "keeping it in". It was a question of fittingly reimplementing it and improving on it. And you have their explanation right there, they wanted to focus on other things.
Stop being ridiculous.

Then, in my reasoning, Masuda should have just told that straight to the fans, and not come with a nonsense excuse of "its unique to Kalos" just because the region was about Beauty and fashion. That reasoning alone is what ticked people off the most. I'm pretty sure, if Masuda just told the real reasoning, like the one you gave, the blow would have been WAY softer and easier to deal with. Now, people are pissed, mainly of the stupid excuse that was given, and as such, think that GF are lazy and believe the feature could have been easily implentmented.

That is like saying "Steel and Dark types are unique to Johto" or "Mega Evolutions are unique to Kalos" both features which altered and changed the battle formula drastically, and as such, can't be removed.

As Bolt the Cat already mentioned, even if the feature was unique to Kalos, Hoenn could have recieved its own variant of the said feature to match the region's natural, tropical theme. This makes a lot of sense. In the end, however, I do not really care of Customization myself, nor did I ever use it that much, and thus, its not a deal breaker to me.

However, the point stands that the reasoning itself that Masuda gave for the feature's absense, is downright hillarious and stupid and this is what made people more pissed than the actual absense of the said feature. I should know, because this is apparent in every gaming forum I have browsed and read - the reason is just downright moronic and not fitting to explain the absence of the Customization feature. The Pokémon Composer himself could have atleast come up with a way better excuse. Heck I or anyone else, even you, could come with a better excuse or explanation.

I'm actually happy about this. Glad to see that they are keeping more aspects from ruby and sapphire.

However, I do think his reasoning for this was very poor. A drunk person could have made a better argument.

I finally know who the game director for AS/OR is: Shigeru Ohmori.
The game director for HG/SS, which were great and amazing, was Shigeki Morimoto. I'm sure that AS/OR would be greater if this gentleman was in charge! :rolleyes:

Here's the link to an interview (one day old) with Ohmori and Masuda (despite starting the first seconds in German, the interview is translated):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ys7X32MtjqA

I can forgive this because I'm positive it will return in every other game after and forever. But their reasoning? Ridiculous. It's so ridiculous, I think it has to be only half true. There mist be another reason for it that they just aren't telling us.

At the very least, even I'd customization didn't return it would have been nice to pick skin colour. Ah well. There was a lot of evidence hinting it wasn't coming back but now we know. I don't think they'll ever take customization away again though, the fan outcry is far too strong.

I only used it to obtain the medals but after that I really never used it that much. The feature is ok but it is not a huge addition though.:)

If character customization affects your decision on whether or not you buy this game then that's pitiful imo lol.

Platinum26 said:
If character customization affects your decision on whether or not you buy this game then that's pitiful imo lol.

True, but the reasoning behind the decision is pretty stupid, so I can understand the outrage.

Bolt the Cat said:
Platinum26 said:

True, but the reasoning behind the decision is pretty stupid, so I can understand the outrage.

Personally, I can sorta see why they did it. Considering the fact that it is a remake, I'm assuming they wanted to make the gameplay feel as original, yet at the same time, as new as possible. Keeping the characters exactly the same is a good touch for nostalgic purposes if nothing else. Again, just my opinion.

Platinum26 said:
Bolt the Cat said:

Personally, I can sorta see why they did it. Considering the fact that it is a remake, I'm assuming they wanted to make the gameplay feel as original, yet at the same time, as new as possible. Keeping the characters exactly the same is a good touch for nostalgic purposes if nothing else. Again, just my opinion.

But if people wanted to keep the characters the same, they could just not use it. It's completely optional.

Platinum26 said:
Bolt the Cat said:

Then where's Team Aqua and Magma looking like they did in the original!? Also, Brendan didn't stayed the same as apparently he's now called Orlando and has a tan, which, like I said above, doesn't make any sense if the player is to continue arriving in Hoenn (and coming from Johto) in a van.

I'm slightly torn on this one, really. On the one hand I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't coming back to OR/AS, but at the same time I have no doubts that the customisation feature will return in the next generation of games. I don't think that the lack of customisation will greatly impact the experience of playing in the Hoenn region as there are plenty of other fun things to do such as secret bases, contests and new features such as the Mauville Food Court mentioned in the demo that aparently involves battles.

I don't have a problem with having no customisation while having new designs for Team Aqua and Magma and Brendan/Orlando - redesigns have been around in every remake and for the most part are awesome as well as being a great way to re-introduce the region while keeping it familiar.

The character customization does not affect me. I just like the plain trainer original form. Always have. That will always be the same with every new Pokemon game I get XD.:)

Leaf_Ranger said:
Platinum26 said:

Then where's Team Aqua and Magma looking like they did in the original!? Also, Brendan didn't stayed the same as apparently he's now called Orlando and has a tan, which, like I said above, doesn't make any sense if the player is to continue arriving in Hoenn (and coming from Johto) in a van.
Or, well, at least they're keeping it based on the old designs.

Well it is a deal breaker for me and my fiancee. Not preordering now. This was by far the best new feature in XY, and cutting it is so beyond moronic they just proved they don't really pay attention at all. And they're no better than nintendo.

Maybe I'll come back if they bring it back in a later game. But I'm not getting this one. Hope they get some sense one of these centuries.

Kalos only thing? I mean seriously. The feature was never added because Kalos was based on france, it was because of PSS! So now they're so stupid as to go back on the reasoning for including it in the first place? They said last year, "we included it so people could look unique in the PSS." Never did they say anything about "oh and france is all about fashion and beauty." That's bs.

Rant over.

Shadelon said:
Well it is a deal breaker for me and my fiancee. Not preordering now. This was by far the best new feature in XY, and cutting it is so beyond moronic they just proved they don't really pay attention at all. And they're no better than nintendo.

Maybe I'll come back if they bring it back in a later game. But I'm not getting this one. Hope they get some sense one of these centuries.

Kalos only thing? I mean seriously. The feature was never added because Kalos was based on france, it was because of PSS! So now they're so stupid as to go back on the reasoning for including it in the first place? They said last year, "we included it so people could look unique in the PSS." Never did they say anything about "oh and france is all about fashion and beauty." That's bs.

Rant over.

I find it extremely weird that they cut out the customization really because of this reason. We are going to see lots of the same sprite over the PSS which can confuse us easily.. but then again it will probably confuse me for 1 second before I will see the Trainer's name right in front of me so its not that bad specially not for not buying the new game. Give them a chance :)

IMHO.

Having trainer customization (as in, clothes, shoes, accessories, headgear etc), would mean adding boutiques throughout Hoenn, and not just at least slightly expanding the sortiments (to at the evry least keep it fresh), but replace it from scratch basically, because the protagonist should not be able to look identical to Calem/Serena (that is my opinion but also gamefreaks standpoint I would think). As these are distinct characters from different stories, whos looks only vary TO A DEGREE but are technically the same character.

So no matter what, this would be work that has to be focused on in development, not just a simplistic question of "keeping it in", and unfortunately for many in this thread, gamefreak decided to focus their developers into many other areas instead.

(and there would be other minor issues that would need to be looked at, like not wearing a dress while diving..)

What they could have done however, is THE BASIC stuff.
I mean, not the whole fashion system, but simply skin-tone and hair color.
At least the skin-tone I don't think is actually deconfirmed...that really should be a standard feature in the same vein as choosing a female character.

(but then there is the question fo whether they would have to program your fathers skin-tone to match...which includes the battle sprites etc.. these minor things just start pilling up as you add a feature like this)

But the topic is certainly not as black and white as some make it seem.

scattered mind said:
Shadelon said:

Rant over.

I find it extremely weird that they cut out the customization really because of this reason. We are going to see lots of the same sprite over the PSS which can confuse us easily.. but then again it will probably confuse me for 1 second before I will see the Trainer's name right in front of me so its not that bad specially not for not buying the new game. Give them a chance :)

Nah, there's been the "pick your profile trainer class" thing since gen 3, which was made for the purpose of at least basic difference between inetracting players... it was even in XY too, just barely ever used because the customization overshadowed it.

Did the mom of XY have the skin tone as the one you chose, or was it always the same? (this isn't a rhetorical question to prove a point; I always choose the same skin tone, hair color, etc. so I honestly don't know)

Shadelon said:

Rant over.

Wow. Glad to see you back man. Long time no see. Anyway. Remember How R/S/E was? They are keeping the games as close as possible to the original games? If you remember R/S/E well still or still remember the bulk of those games they are going to be like the original 3rd games. A lot of people like the 6th gen games but we are going back to gen 3 XD. That did not exist in gen 3 and the customizations were gen 6 exclusive only.:)

The customization was extremely lacking in Kalos itself, in my opinion. If you chose the male avatar you had very little choice in clothes and hairstyles. And there was no option for facial items, such as glasses, freckles, facial hair, etc.

My avatar just didn't feel like me. While I loved the inclusion of the feature, it didn't match up to a lot of people's expectations. I'm not too upset that it isn't in ORAS, as the character designs are pretty great. Hopefully they will let us at least change skin tone

Personally I really like it that when I battle my friends in XY we don't look like clones. I understand they introduced customization in Kalos because "France is fashionable" etc. however that's a sorry excuse to exclude such a feature from future games.

This is probably the biggest downgrade in a Pokémon game yet, much bigger than losing seasons/Pokémon walking behind you (because as nice as it is that can't be viewed as something that "should always be present")/stuff that's obviously region specific like secret bases or the underground.

Now we won't even be able to see custom characters on the PSS, only clones of the protagonists, trainer classes, gym leaders etc. and that sucks.

Back