ORAS Trainer Customization Not Included in OR/AS

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
I looked through the respective threads for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but there was no thread for this, so I opted to make one specially for this:

That said, I'm not going to beat around the bush:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/so-does-pokemon-omega-ruby-and-alpha-include-trainer-customization

According to the most recent interview, there is NO Trainer Customization due to the fact that the feature, according to the creators, happens to be a Kalos-only feature, and because they wanted to retain the feel of the original games as close as possible, and finally, because they find that each Region should have their own unique feature to stand out. Whether this statement is true for future generations remains to be seen.

I myself never really used Trainer Customization that much in Pokemon X, so personally, it doesn't really bother me. Of course, for the people that do, and that is a lot, I can understand anyone's frustration. So, with that, the question remains...will it return in future generations beyond Gen 6 or what?

And yes, I find the reasoning utterly dumb and brainless. Even I could think up a better excuse and people would likely accept it more than this nonsense.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
RE: Trainer Customization DE-confirmed (USGamer)

OMG, I just laughed sooooo hard!
If everything, including the explanation is true, then GF really is at drift. So much for new features becoming standard and the minimum included in next games. By Arceus, the excuse is so laughable, both for AS/OR and for future games.

Just a few days ago I was saying this (http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-mega-beedrill-and-mega-pidgeot-in-corocoro-10-9?pid=2670099#pid2670099) :
Leaf_Ranger said:
garbodorable said:
But before walking pokemon, there was the Pal Park, which was pretty much a beta version of what would show up everywhere in HG/SS. Could be they're trying out overworld flight in the interest of expanding it for future games.

At least you'd hope so. They put a little more effort into an immersive, fully realized overworld with each generation (except for walking pokemon disappearing...), so a gen VII game where you can fly around on your Pidgeot or Charizard or surf on your Seaking or whatever and actually see your pokemon and direct them, might not be so farfetched. Especially when they've also played around with riding pokemon in XY.

They might be doing that but it's a shame that things dissapear and like I've said, not only walking Pokémon but also seasons! GF is constantly testing but instead of having certain features for granted, they take some and try a new. The Advance generation was released without day/night cycle. HG/SS was very touch-screen friendly and in B2/W2 that wasn't true. It seems like the games take two steps further and one behind. Also, I'd prefer to have one game with all these features and not have 3D that have a game in 3D that follows that steps trend.

Thanks GF, if with Mega-evolution Pokémon was losing its interest, this is only a step further, namely because I won't be seeing my most loved feature: Pokémon walking behind us. Seriously, thanks GF, I'll spend my money, time and interest somewhere else.

G-Panthera

Leaf_Ranger said:
If everything, including the explanation is true, then GF really is at drift. So much for new features becoming standard and the minimum included in next games. By Arceus, the excuse is so laughable, both for AS/OR and for future games.

Thanks GF, if with Mega-evolution Pokémon was losing its interest, this is only a step further, namely because I won't be seeing my most loved feature: Pokémon walking behind us. Seriously, thanks GF, I'll spend my money, time and interest somewhere else.

I find the reasoning for cutting Trainer Customization beyond stupid. Why introduce such a long awaited feature, only to hack it away in any games after it. That said, its not confirmed, nor said it won't return into games beyond Gen 6. So far, only ORAS is confirmed to have axed the feature.

I personally think that every new feature introduced, no matter what gen, should be included as standard in the next literation of Pokémon games.

Leaf_Ranger

G-Panthera said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

I find the reasoning for cutting Trainer Customization beyond stupid. Why introduce such a long awaited feature, only to hack it away in any games after it. That said, its not confirmed, nor said it won't return into games beyond Gen 6. So far, only ORAS is confirmed to have axed the feature.

I personally think that every new feature introduced, no matter what gen, should be included as standard in the next literation of Pokémon games.

Starting by your last sentence and as you could read above, I agree entirely.

As for what you've said before that, yes, I'm taking this with some caution but despite the reasoning being stupid, I find it possible (who knows what's going in their heads?), as well as this philosophy being true now but changing in the future and GF realising that is indeed better to have all the past features as standard, to build from and reach higher and if all this happens, I'll keep my eye on the franchise and return when they change their mind about it.

I'm reaching too far and into murky territory but with this explanation, I'm not seeing that much wanted Pokémon open-world game (or at least one with more than one region, customisation, Pokémon following us, seasons, all the stuuf and more in one big game and very likely on a home console) nowhere in the near future but I'm not a Xatu.

Leaf_Ranger

BY ARCEUS, I just remembered this: so, each region is to have a (specific) feature(s)!? Well GF, where the hell are my Hoenn remakes (and future) WITHOUT Mega-evolution!?

Seriously, if true, not only is their reasoning stupid as it's not followed to the letter! If they want to retain the feeling of the original, why 3D, why updated (and worse looking) evil teams, story (perhaps), Hoenn's layout, Pkdex, PkAmie?

G-Panthera

Leaf_Ranger said:
BY ARCEUS, I just remembered this: so, each region is to have a (specific) feature(s)!? Well GF, where the hell are my Hoenn remakes (and future) WITHOUT Mega-evolution!?

Seriously, if true, not only is their reasoning stupid as it's not followed to the letter! If they want to retain the feeling of the original, why 3D, why updated (and worse looking) evil teams, story (perhaps), Hoenn's layout, Pkdex, PkAmie? :rolleyes:

Likely that is because those features are Gen-specific upgrades. How I see it, is that each Gen has both major and minor updates. For example, Mega-Evolutions are a major update to the game's battle formula, along with the Fairy Type and aren't restricted by the in-game's regions. Such changes as that can't be easily removed, especially when it comes to Mega Evolutions, and all the new Mega Pokémon we have been getting revealed among the months.

Minor updates, in turn, like Trainer Customization, is unfortunately minor compared to that of Mega Evolutions, and doesn't do much to enhance the gameplay in any ways, other than being used for fancy asthetics. Everything else is a general update to match the current ways the franchise is heading towards to.

Atleast, that is the best reasoning I can come up with.

There are times when I feel like apes are calling the shots over at Game Freak. This is one of those times.

Real talk, this is some bullshit. I would normally say that it's more likely that they axed it due to development complications of some sort and they're just trying to avoid saying it, but this is Game Freak we're talking about here; they have a long history of questionable decisions. So I think they actually are so profoundly incompetent that they removed a standard, widely-requested feature and justified it with backwards, obviously faulty reasoning.

smh

xayshade

Aspiring Trainer

This game lost a couple points in my eyes. How hard is it to understand that people want protagonists to look like them? The trainer customization was already limited, so to axe it completely is stupid. I kinda understand wanting to have the feel of the original games, but what is the point of updating everything else about the games for the remake, but leaving out something everyone loves. why not skip all of the megas and pokemon amie and jus only use them in future games and generations, why update the pokenav, i mean keeping the original feel of the games from a decade ago is sooo important right?

A black main character, with an afro is all i wanted and they blew it.

"Being a black character is only an option in the Kalos region."

Apparently nobody realized how stupid that sounds. Sasuga Game Freak.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast

It better be back in the next generation on, or so help me I will Smash Bros. someone's face in.

G-Panthera

Starboard Driger said:
"Being a black character is only an option in the Kalos region."

Apparently nobody realized how stupid that sounds. Sasuga Game Freak.

Say what? That interview quote has to be one of the most ridiculous ones I ever heard in my life. What is so special about the Kalos region that allows black skinned people there, and not anywhere else? Trollfreak being on the loose again with their unique logic.

My bad, that wasn't from the article. I was paraphrasing this:

"In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region"

No customization = no skin color changes, so it's essentially the same thing.

Drohn

Wild War Dance

I'm personally not too bothered by it, but I do think it's silly to remove such features in new games. Not everyone likes or needs them, but as long as they're optional there is no point in removing them and to stop pleasing those that enjoy them. A lot of features from past generations are quite nice and I hope they will get rid of the "Every game needs its own thing" attitude to some extent and simply build on what they have and continue to improve by keeping the good, upgrading or removing the bad, and introducing the new.

xayshade

Aspiring Trainer

Starboard Driger said:
My bad, that wasn't from the article. I was paraphrasing this:

"In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region"

No customization = no skin color changes, so it's essentially the same thing.

Not even black.

Just barely ambiguously latino/dark. Like dang Gamefreak really? Kalos and Unova are the only regions with dark skinned peoples?

Seven is a Color

Spinda Doctors

But...Kalos is based on France, and Amie is a French word. It would make more sense for Pokemon Amie to be Kalos-exlcusive than trainer customization. Not that I'd support either feature only being in Kalos. I liked being able to give my character the same skin tone, eye color, hair color and length, and fashion sense as me. It's not going to ruin my ORAS experience, but the reasoning behind this is dumb.

Mitja

veteran smartass

Seriously guys, why was anyone still getting their hopes up about this at this point??

Have you people not been following the footage and news of the past months?
The only thing I'm shocked about here is that some site actually had to "confirm" it's not in for people to start to get it.

I mean not just was it already obvious from the characters ALWAYS being standard (no reason to hide customization if it was in), but there's been screenshots of stuff like new global link for ORAS, where it was clearly visible that players were YET AGAIN represented by ingame-trainer-class icons. Which is what has been the case since RSE in the first place.

And I've explained it in another topic already long ago, it's not like they can just copy&paste that whole feature in. I mean they "could", but it would be unprofessional (I mean, you must at least realize the character models aren't identical to Calem/Serena right??).

It was not a question of "keeping it in". It was a question of fittingly reimplementing it and improving on it. And you have their explanation right there, they wanted to focus on other things.
Stop being ridiculous.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

His reasoning is so flimsy that you could snap it in half like a twig. Unique to Kalos? Right, just like how Contests and Secret Bases are unique to Hoenn (for that matter, what was unique to Hoenn until Soaring and DexNav came along? The Trick House?). I get the idea that they want each game to have exclusive features as a selling point, but they should choose those features wisely and this is not one of them. It's too important to the online environment and the player's identity, and it could easily be adapted to fit the region's theme like how Contests and Secret Bases were adapted to fit Sinnoh. They can demonstrate the region's theme of nature by providing a different selection of clothes, instead of the fancy and refined apparel of Kalos they could go for something more outdoorsy. There's no real reason to make it an exclusive feature, and in fact it could actually help them establish the region's theme even more.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Kind of disappointing, but I have to admit that I don't really care all that much. Dressing up was fun, but it didn't actual impact gameplay or anything, it mostly just gave me something different to spend my money on.

Leaf_Ranger

G-Panthera said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Seriously, if true, not only is their reasoning stupid as it's not followed to the letter! If they want to retain the feeling of the original, why 3D, why updated (and worse looking) evil teams, story (perhaps), Hoenn's layout, Pkdex, PkAmie? :rolleyes:

Likely that is because those features are Gen-specific upgrades. How I see it, is that each Gen has both major and minor updates. For example, Mega-Evolutions are a major update to the game's battle formula, along with the Fairy Type and aren't restricted by the in-game's regions. Such changes as that can't be easily removed, especially when it comes to Mega Evolutions, and all the new Mega Pokémon we have been getting revealed among the months.

Minor updates, in turn, like Trainer Customization, is unfortunately minor compared to that of Mega Evolutions, and doesn't do much to enhance the gameplay in any ways, other than being used for fancy asthetics. Everything else is a general update to match the current ways the franchise is heading towards to.

Atleast, that is the best reasoning I can come up with.

While that's a good reasoning, when applying that to GF's minds, I simply don't see any coeherence. In Johto, the day/night cycle was a feature that standed out, just like the introduction of Metal and Dark types. Going by that thinking, these last ones would remain but not the cycle, just like it happened during the Advance era. But then, that cycle appeared again so either they must think that the cycle is a major update or they think and corretly, that the cycle is essential in giving a more natural experience when travelling. Going by these two (or even one of them) reasonings, howcome the seasons are something that is not a major updated or doesn't contribute to a more natural journey? I can understand that going by these, the walking Pokémon feature is to scrap but not seasons.
Also, I don't think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that trainer customisation is a minor update, not only in scale but because it's another step in giving more personal touches to the player. Crystal introduced genders and XY finally introduced skin tones (and I'm not even talking about clothes anymore!).

Bolt the Cat said:
His reasoning is so flimsy that you could snap it in half like a twig. Unique to Kalos? Right, just like how Contests and Secret Bases are unique to Hoenn (for that matter, what was unique to Hoenn until Soaring and DexNav came along? The Trick House?). (...)

Even Berries were in Sinnoh! :rolleyes: All that remained in Hoenn was Pkblocks, if I'm not mistaken.

Leaf_Ranger

I really can't stop thinking about this not because of the lack of the mechanic itself but because of the reasoning.

If the story about the player remains the same, then why give the male player a skin tone, when the player is from Johto and just moved to Hoenn? Don't tell me that travelling in the back of vans is like being in a tanning bed now!?